Press Release

Sytrene Market to Exceed Demand of 41 Million Tons in 2020, Asia Pacific will Drive Growth


November 22nd, 2011

Global Information, Inc. presents "Styrene Global Markets to 2020 - Substitution of Polystyrene by Polypropylene and Polyethylene Terephthalate to Impact Growth in Developed Regions" by GBI Research.

Demand from Asia Pacific and Developing Nations to Drive the Styrene Market Over the Forecast Period

In 2010, the global styrene demand stood at 21,657,608 tons in 2010. The global demand for styrene will increase to reach 41,148,015 tons by 2020 at a CAGR of 4.4%. A significant portion of the increase in demand for styrene historically has come from the Asia-Pacific region, and the same trend is expected to continue in the forecast period. The Asia-Pacific, South and Central America and Middle East and Africa regions have lower per capita consumption of styrene and styrene derivatives when compared to North America and Europe. This provides opportunities for the further penetration of these petrochemicals in such regions. The Asia-Pacific region is expected to account for 76.4% of global styrene demand in 2020.

image1

Global Styrene Market is Fragmented with Top Five Players Accounting for A share of 25% in 2010

In 2010, the company with the largest global styrene capacity share was TOTAL S.A., with a 6.6% share by volume. Total S.A along with Formosa Plastics Group, SABIC, China National Petroleum Corporation, and China Petroleum & Chemical Corporation together accounted for a share of 25.2% of the global styrene market by volume, with the remaining 74.8% capacity share owned by other companies.

China to Account for 70.4% of the Total Demand in 2020

China accounted for 51.4% of the total Styrene demand in Asia Pacific (14,184,710 tons) and is expected to account for 70.4% of the market in 2020. China imports a significant amount of Styrene despite having emerged as a global petrochemical products manufacturing hub and having the advantage of lower operating costs. This styrene is required in order to produce styrene derivatives such as polystyrene, expanded polystyrene, acrylonitrile butadiene styrene and styrene butadiene rubber. Hence there is huge scope for styrene capacity additions in China. Demand from China is currently driving the Asia-Pacific markets demand for styrene; however, South Korea and India also have high gross domestic product (GDP) growth rates, and styrene demand in these countries is increasing at a rapid rate.

image2

Polystyrene, ABS and SBR Account for 75% of the Global Styrene Demand in 2010

Polystyrene, ABS/SAN and SBR/SBL were the leading end-use segments for styrene in 2010. Together they accounted for more than 75% of the global styrene demand. In terms of the end-uses of styrene, a similar trend is expected to continue throughout the forecast period.

The main end-use of styrene is in styrene-based derivatives such as polystyrene, ABS/SAN and SBR/SBL, among others. Almost all globally produced styrene is used to manufacture these derivatives. The demand for these styrene-based derivatives is witnessing strong growth globally, providing a boost to styrene demand. This growth of styrene or styrene-based derivatives demand is expected to grow consistently in the coming years, mainly in the Asia-Pacific region. This will lead to an increase in global styrene and styrene capacity in the future.

image3

About the Report

Styrene Global Markets to 2020 - Substitution of Polystyrene by Polypropylene and Polyethylene Terephthalate to Impact Growth in Developed Regions is an in-depth report from GBI Research focusing on the demand side of the global styrene industry. The report provides the reader with detailed analysis and forecasts of the major economic and market trends affecting global styrene demand in the major global regions. It also provides analysis and description of the major drivers and restraints affecting styrene demand in various regions. Global styrene demand is assessed in terms of end-user segments and price and a competitive landscape, at both regional and country level, is also provided. Overall, the report presents a comprehensive analysis of the global Styrene market covering all the major parameters. The report is built using data and information sourced from proprietary databases, primary and secondary research and in-house analysis by GBI Researchs team of industry experts.


Global Information Inc.(GII) - specializing in market research provision for the vertical industries, GII offers expert independent recommendations of publications from hundreds of the globe's leading market research firms.

Product Code : 224088