INTRODUCTION and OVERVIEW
AMA Research are pleased to announce the publication of the 2nd edition of the
report "Utilities Renewables Market Report - UK 2012-2016 Analysis".
The report represents an informed, up-to-date and detailed review of the
market and offers excellent value for money.
The utilities renewables market in the UK includes biomass, hydroelectric,
wind, solar photovoltaics and wave/tidal power. The use of renewable energy
sources for heat and power generation has become more important for the UK
over the last ten years, with both national legislation and European
Directives outlining further targets for longer term expansion of the market.
Power generation from renewable sources in the UK in 2008 was estimates at
21,600GWh, representing 53% increase since 2004 and accounting for just under
6% of total UK generation. Future targets for renewables indicate that this
has the potential to rise to 30% of total UK generation between 2015 and 2020.
Written by marketing professionals with experience of the utilities market;
this report reviews developments within the industry, with emphasis on both
QUALITATIVE AND QUANTITATIVE market assessment. Recent trends, key
influencing factors, market opportunities and forecasts of future developments
Key sectors covered include:
- UTILITIES RENEWABLES MARKET - market overview, legislative background, UK
renewable energy strategy, market developments sectoral analysis, generation
capacities by sector.
- UTILITIES CONSTRUCTION MARKET construction output GB quarterly analysis of
output & new orders, output by sector, utilities market sectoral analysis.
- LEADING UTILITIES & RENWABLES COMPANIES - profiles of water, gas & energy
companies, leading renewables contractors/civil engineering organisations.
Key issues of particular interest:
- Performance of utilities market and renewables sector.
- Performance 2006-11 and forecasts for 2012 to 2016, key influencing
factors, legislative changes, growth in renewables generation capacity 2006-11.
- Domination of market by biomass sector and significant growth for offshore
wind since 2004.
- Recent stimulus for future growth for offshore wind and wave/tidal power
through Crown Estates leasing schemes.
Leading organisations working in the utilities renewables sectors.
Leading companies mentioned in the report include:
AMEC, Aquamarine Power, AWS Ocean Energy, Beaufort Wind, Carillion, Centrica,
DP Marine Energy, EDF Energy, EDP Renovaveis, Eneco, Fenland Wind Farms, Fred
Olsen Renewables, Galliford Try, International Power, Magnox Electric, Marine
Current Turbines, McNicholas Construction, Minesto, Morrison Utilities,
Nautricity, Neptune Renewable Energy, Nova Innovation, Ocean Power
Technologies, Oceanflow Energy, Pelamis Wave Power, RES-Group, RWE Npower,
Scottish and Southern Energy (SSE), Scottish Power, Smartwind, Tidal Energy,
Key areas covered in the report include:
FOCUS ON UTILITIES RENEWABLES MARKET
- Sources of Renewable Energy - biomass, hydroelectric, wind, solar,
tidal/wave and geothermal, factors influencing market development- future
security of UK energy supply, carbon emissions reduction targets, UK renewable
energy development strategy, etc.
- Market Development - progress in renewables generation capacity since
2006, renewable energy generation sector mix, future prospects for increasing
generation capacities through UK legislation and European Directives.
UTILIITES RENEWABLES MARKET BY SECTOR
- Biomass Sector - analysis by generation capacity by sector, market
developments since 2006, key market influences, future prospects to 2016.
- Wind Power Sector - growth in installed generation capacity since 2006,
identification of leading companies in wind power generation, impetus provided
by Crown Estates leasing programmes, future prospects for sectors.
- Hydro-Electric Sector - market overview, market growth since 2006, leading
supplies to the UK hydro-electric sector, future prospects.
- Other Renewable Sources - overview of solar photovoltaics, tidal/wave
generation and geothermal, recent developments and future prospects
UTILITIES MARKET OVERVIEW
- UK Construction Output - overview of UK construction market, mix by sector
2010 and 2011, key influencing factors, trends.
- Infrastructure and Utilities Market - size in terms of GB construction
output, sector mix 2010-11, key trends in infrastructure sectors.
- Utilities Market - sector mix, output by sector, quarterly analysis by
output and new orders, key influencing factors, future prospects.
- Utilities output forecasts - assessment of future prospects, key
influencing factors, and output forecasts to 2016.
LEADING UTILITIES AND RENEWABLES SUPPLIERS
- Utilities Companies - identification of leading companies in the water,
electricity and gas sectors, company profiles, recent performance indicators.
- Utilities Renewable Energy Companies - leading companies with significant
interests in the utilities renewables market including larger energy and
multi-utility companies as well as sector specialists.
- Construction/Civil Engineering Specialists - identification of key
organisations with significant specialisms in the utilities renewables sectors.
SUMMARY OF REPORT CONTENTS
Renewable energy is defined as "natural flows" that occur continuously in the
environment which can be harnessed to provide power for domestic and
industrial uses. Renewable energy sources are becoming increasingly important
for the UK's energy market with emphasis on the need to supply increasing
amounts of the UK's energy requirement from non-fossil fuel derived sources.
The interest in the renewable energy sector has been driven in recent years by
growing concerns regarding climate change and the need to reduce carbon
emissions and as a result of UK legislation and European Directives laying
down parameters for longer-term expansion of the sector.
Although the need to reduce carbon emissions and the issue of climate change
have been key contributory factors in the growth of renewable energy sources
over the last decade, a more recent impetus has been provided by the issue of
the future security of the UK's energy supply. The utilisation of renewable
sources of heat and energy in the UK has been variable with hydro electric
possibly having the longest history but with others such as solar
photovoltaics and wave/tidal generation relatively less developed.
Overall output for electricity generated by renewable power sources in 2010
was 25,734GWh, an increase of 42% on the 18,106GWh produced in 2006. Although
this 42% increase indicates the significant growth in renewables generation
over the period, 2010 figures represent only 6.8% of total UK power generation.
In terms of sector mix, biomass continues to lead in 2010 with share of 46% up
from 42% in 2008 and with output generation of 11,915GWh. Total wind energy
accounted for 40% of renewables generation in 2010 up from 33% in 2008 and
boosted by 75% increase in offshore generation 2009-10. In contrast, hydro
electric generation has experience share decline to 14% in 2010 compared with
24% in 2008, reflecting the impact of drier weather and reduced rainfall on
hydro generation capacities. Although solar photovoltaics experienced 65%
increase in generation output 2009-10 this sector continues to account for
only marginal share of renewable energy output.
Short-medium term prospects for the renewables sector remain positive
underpinned by the Regulatory requirements of EU Directives and UK Energy
Policy. In order to achieve UK Renewable Energy Strategy targets of 30%
electricity generation and 12% heat generation from renewable sources by 2020,
significant investment in and expansion of renewables generation will be
A number of programmes and financial support packages have been established to
encourage this expansion in renewable energy including the extension of the
Renewables Obligation, Feed in Tariffs, Renewable Heat Incentive and Renewable
Heat Premium Payment - all of which are designed to encourage the expansion of
the renewables energy and heat generation sectors.
Table of Contents
CONTENTS and LIST OF TABLES & CHARTS
- 1.1 BACKGROUND
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION
2 SUMMARY AND FUTURE PROSPECTS
- 2.1 SUMMARY
- 2.2 FUTURE PROSPECTS
3 ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT
- 3.1 GDP
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION
- 3.6 STERLING
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS
4 UTILITIES AND RENEWABLE ENERGY
- 4.1 RENEWABLE SOURCES OF ENERGY
- 4.2 RENEWABLES STRATEGY AND LEGISLATION
- 4.2.1 Renewable Energy Strategy
- 4.2.2 Renewables Obligation
- 4.2.3 Feed in Tariffs
- 4.2.4 Renewable Heat Incentive
- 4.2.5 Draft Energy Bill 2012
- 4.3 RENEWABLE ENERGY DEVELOPMENT IN THE UK
- 4.3.1 Current Generation Levels
- 4.3.2 Renewables in the UK Energy Generation Mix
- 4.3.3 Future Prospects
- 4.4 RENEWABLE ENERGY SECTOR PRODUCT MIX
- 4.4.1 Biomass
- 4.4.2 Wind Power
- 4.4.3 Hydro-electric Power
- 4.4.4 Others
5 CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT IN THE UTILITIES SECTOR
- 5.1 INTRODUCTION AND DEFINITION
- 5.2 OVERALL UK CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT
- 5.2.1 Sector Mix UK
- 5.2.2 Sector Mix 2009-11 Great Britain
- 5.2.3 Infrastructure Output Great Britain
- 5.2.4 New Work
- 5.2.5 RMI
- 5.2.6 Infrastructure Sectors
- 5.2.7 National Infrastructure Plan
- 5.3 UTILITIES CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT
- 5.3.1 Output by Sector
- 5.3.2 Output and New Orders Quarterly Analysis
- 5.4 FUTURE PROSPECTS AND FORECASTS - UTILITIES CONSTRUCTION
6 UK UTILITIES MARKET
- 6.1 ELECTRICITY INDUSTRY
- 6.1.1 Structure of the Electricity Industry
- 6.1.2 Construction Output in Electricity Sector
- 6.1.3 Electricity Companies
- 6.2 WATER INDUSTRY
- 6.2.1 Industry Structure
- 6.2.2 Construction Output in Water Sector
- 6.2.3 Water Companies
- 6.3 GAS INDUSTRY
- 6.3.1 Structure and Size of the Industry
- 6.3.2 Gas Companies
- 6.4 TELECOMS INDUSTRY
- 6.4.1 Structure of the Industry
- 6.4.2 Telecoms Industry and Renewables
7 LEADING COMPANIES IN THE RENEWABLES CONSTRUCTION SECTOR
- 7.1 ENERGY COMPANIES
- 7.2 CONSTRUCTION/CIVIL ENGINEERING SPECIALISTS
TABLES AND CHARTS
- CHART 1 UK RENEWABLES GENERATION GWH 2006-16
- CHART 2 INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 1992-2016
- CHART 3 PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 1992-2016
- TABLE 4 EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2006-2012 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND
THE EURO, SPOT RATES
- CHART 5 AGE DISTRIBUTION OF THE RESIDENT UK POPULATION MID-2008 ('000)
- TABLE 6 UK RENEWABLE ENERGY GENERATION 2006-10 - BY OUTPUT (GWH)
- CHART 7 UK ENERGY GENERATION MARKET MIX BY FUEL TYPE (COAL, GAS, NUCLEAR,
RENEWABLES AND OTHERS*) 2006-10 - GWH (%)
- TABLE 8 UK RENEWABLES GENERATION FORECASTS 2010-16 - GWH
- CHART 9 UK RENEWABLE ENERGY GENERATION PRODUCT SECTOR MIX 2010 - % BY
- TABLE 10 UK BIOMASS POWER GENERATION SECTOR MIX 2010 - BY POWER GENERATED
- TABLE 11 UK BIOMASS ENERGY GENERATION 2006-10 - BY OUTPUT (GWH)
- TABLE 12 UK WIND POWER STATIONS OPERATIONAL AT END OF MAY 2011 - NUMBER OF
STATIONS AND INSTALLED CAPACITY (MW)
- TABLE 13 CROWN ESTATES ROUND 3 OFFSHORE WIND FARM DEVELOPMENTS
- TABLE 14 LEADING SUPPLIERS TO THE UK HYDRO-ELECTRIC SECTOR AT MAY 2011 -
NUMBER OF POWER STATIONS AND INSTALLED CAPACITY
- TABLE 15 UK ENERGY GENERATION SOLAR PHOTOVOLTAICS AND SHORELINE WAVE 2006
TO 2010 - INSTALLED CAPACITY(MW)
- TABLE 16 CROWN ESTATES COMMERCIAL WAVE GENERATION PROJECT DEVELOPMENTS
- TABLE 17 CROWN ESTATES COMMERCIAL TIDAL GENERATION PROJECT DEVELOPMENTS
- CHART 18 UK CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT (NEW WORK AND RMI) 2006 TO 2016 - BY VALUE
(£ BILLION AT CURRENT PRICES)
- TABLE 19 UK CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT BY SECTOR 2011 - BY VALUE (£MILLION
AT CURRENT PRICES)
- TABLE 20 UK CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT BY SECTOR 2009 AND 2011 - % BY VALUE
- CHART 21 GB CONSTRUCTION NEW WORK OUTPUT FOR INFRASTRUCTURE 2006 TO 2016 -
BY VALUE (£ BILLION AT CURRENT PRICES)
- TABLE 22 GB CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT FOR INFRASTRUCTURE BY PUBLIC AND PRIVATE
SECTOR 2006 TO 2011 - BY VALUE (£M AT CURRENT PRICES)
- CHART 23 GB INFRASTRUCTURE RMI OUTPUT Q1 2010 TO Q4 2011 - BY VALUE
(£ MILLION AT CURRENT PRICES)
- CHART 24 INFRASTRUCTURE OUTPUT BY SECTOR GREAT BRITAIN 2009 AND 2011 - %
- TABLE 25 UTILITIES CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT AS PERCENTAGE OF TOTAL
INFRASTRUCTURE OUTPUT (GREAT BRITAIN) 2006 TO 2011 - BY VALUE (£M AT
- CHART 26 UTILITIES CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT GB BY SECTOR 2006 TO 2011 - BY
VALUE (£M AT CURRENT PRICES)
- TABLE 27 UTILITIES MARKET GB OUTPUT MIX BY SUB-SECTOR 2007, 2009 AND 2011
- % BY VALUE
- CHART 28 UTILITIES OUTPUT AND NEW ORDERS GB QUARTERLY ANALYSIS Q1 2008 TO
Q3 2011 - BY VALUE (£BN AT CURRENT PRICES)
- CHART 29 UTILITIES MARKET GB CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT 2010 TO 2016 - BY VALUE
(£BN AT CURRENT PRICES)
- TABLE 30 NORTHERN IRELAND CURRENT ELECTRICITY SUPPLY LICENSE HOLDERS
- CHART 31 ELECTRICITY SECTOR CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT (GB) 2006 TO 2016 - BY
VALUE (£ BILLION AT CURRENT PRICES)
- TABLE 32 KEY REVENUE AND OPERATING PROFIT FINANCIAL INDICATORS NATIONAL
GRID UK OPERATIONS (£M)
- CHART 33 WATER & SEWERAGE SECTOR CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT (GB) 2006 TO 2016 -
BY VALUE (£M AT CURRENT PRICES)
- TABLE 34 UK WATER SECTOR RENEWABLE ENERGY GENERATION 2010-11 - KWH
- TABLE 35 WATER AND SEWERAGE COMPANIES OPERATING IN THE UK - KEY
INDICATORS, GEOGRAPHY, CUSTOMERS, WATER SUPPLY, NETWORK, CAPITAL INVESTMENT,
- CHART 36 UK FIXED AND MOBILE TELECOMS CONNECTIONS 2005 TO 2010 - % BY
PROPORTION OF CONNECTIONS FIXED, ORANGE, O2, VODAFONE ETC
UTILITIES RENEWABLES MARKET REPORT - UK 2012-2016 ANALYSIS published by AMA Research in August 2, 2012. This report price starts from US $ 1150.
The contents of this page may be different from the latest version. Please contact us for details.