INTRODUCTION and OVERVIEW
AMA Research are pleased to announce the publication of the 7th edition of the
report 'Pet Accessories Market - UK 2011-2015'. The report includes up
to date information on the recent trends and issues that continue to impact on
the market and forecasts for market development over the next few years.
The report contains:-
- DETAILED ASSESSMENT OF THE MARKET - market sizes, product mixes and
- ANALYSIS BY PRODUCT GROUP - TOYS; CARE PRODUCTS, HOUSING, BEDDING &
FEEDING; COLLARS, LEADS & UTILITY PRODUCTS.
- REVIEW OF SUPPLY AND DISTRIBUTION STRUCTURE.
- FORECASTS OF MARKET DEVELOPMENTS TO 2015.
The pet accessories market is very fragmented but worth over £600m in
2011. Performance of the market is influenced by pet ownership levels, types
of pet and demand for more convenient products. Pet accessories has generally
been considered a resilient market to economic downturns, though the sector
has experienced a slowdown in the current climate.
Areas of particular interest:
- Analysis of market performance during economic downturn - pet
owners' unwillingness to compromise on their pets helps to underpin market.
- Analysis by type of pet - estimated shares held by the different
- Product group analysis - market size and forecasts 2005-2015,
product mixes, influences and trends.
- Review of key suppliers - shares of major players.
- Review of key distribution channels - growth of Grocery Multiples
and the Internet.
- Forecasts of market performance to 2015 - prospects and market
Alex Griffiths Cosipet Ltd, Ancol Pet Products, Aqua Pacific, Aqua Pacific
(UK), Armitages Pet Products, Bayer (UK), Beaphar UK, Bob Martin UK, Cagex
Accessories, Company of Animals, Danish Design Pet Products, Epro Wholesale,
Eurostitch, Ferplast (UK) Ltd, Hagen, Happy Pet Products, Hi-Craft, Interpet,
Johnson's Veterinary Products, Just for Pets, Juwel Aquarium (UK), L. F.
Jollye (Brookmans Park) Ltd, Mars Petcare UK, Merial Animal Health (UK), Mines
for Pets, Pampurred Pets, Pedigree Wholesale, Pet Brands Ltd, Petlife
International Ltd, Pets at Home, Pets Corner (UK), PetSafe Ltd, Pettex, Reef
One Ltd, Rolf C Hagen, Rosewood Pet Products, Savic, Scruffs, Sharples 'n'
Grant, Snowflake Animal Products, Tetra (UK), Tolsa (UK) Vital Pet Products
Key areas of coverage in the report include:-
- UK pet accessories market - market definition, size and key
characteristics of the market. Pet accessories represent a growing sector
within the overall pet market.
- Overall market size in value terms from 2005-2010, with
forecasts through to 2015, recent performance in 2010/11 and future
prospects in the market.
- Market trends and key market influences including pet ownership
levels, types of pet, demand for convenience products and product developments.
- Estimated shares by type of pet - dogs, cats, small animals,
reptile/fish, birds etc - dominance of dog products, trends etc.
- Identification of key suppliers and distribution channels - growth
of grocery multiples and Internet.
- Product groups reviewed - housing, bedding & feeding equipment; toys;
care products; and collars, leads & utility products.
- Estimated shares of main product groups within pet accessories market.
- Product group analysis - definition, product mix and market sizes
2005-2010, with forecasts to 2015.
- Product sectors - review of products within sector, including
recent trends and factors affecting sector. Dog/Cat Toys; Worm/Flea
Treatments, Maintenance, Health Supplements, Grooming; Types of Cat Litter;
Cages, Aquariums/Vivariums, Bedding & Baskets, Hutches, Feeding; etc.
SUPPLIERS AND DISTRIBUTION
- Profiles of leading manufacturers of pet accessories - fragmented
structure, market shares of leading players, company structure, product
profiles and turnovers.
- Supplier shares for bedding & baskets, cat litter and aquariums &
- Review of distribution - estimated channel shares including pet
superstores, independent pet stores, grocery multiples and mail
- Review of leading distributors - profiles of key distributors
including company structure, product profiles and turnovers.
- Forecast of market development in the short, medium and long term
- Positive and negative factors affecting market growth -
humanisation of pets, pet ownership levels, disposable income levels, product
innovation, environmental issues.
- Outlook for the pet accessories market through to 2015.
SUMMARY OF REPORT CONTENTS
AMA Research has published a new report covering the pet accessories market.
The report, the 7th edition, provides a comprehensive analysis of the market,
with a forecast of the market's future prospects. Pet accessories are part of
the overall UK pet market that was valued at £4.9 billion at RSP in
2010. The pet accessories market accounts for an estimated 16% of this overall
market, valued at approximately £659 million at RSP in 2010.
The pet accessories market comprises toys (that account for 38% of the
market), care products (32%), housing, bedding & feeding (21%) and collars,
leads & utility products (7%) and 'others' accounting for the remaining 2%.
The market is generally less affected by adverse economic conditions compared
to other consumer products that is, in part, due to pet owners' unwillingness
to compromise on their pets. Indeed, pet owners appear prepared to invest in
the pet care market transferring their personal lifestyle, health and hygiene
expectations to their pets. However, the extent of the current economic
turmoil has lead to an unprecedented impact on the market, significantly
slowing growth. As well as the prevailing economic environment, the pet
accessories market is influenced by pet ownership levels, types of pet and
demand for more convenient products.
Different sectors of the pet accessories market have recorded different
performances in recent years, with growth areas being aquariums & other
vivariums and flea & worm treatments.
Toys continue to dominate the pet accessories market. Whilst volume sales have
fallen slightly in recent years, some pet owners have upgraded to more durable
products that are expected to last longer. The sector continues to benefit
from product innovation. This sector has also benefited from the increased
interest in aquariums and vivariums, particularly planted aquariums.
The care products sector has benefited from a wider distribution of flea and
worm treatments that boosted the sector as well as increased demand for
aquarium & vivarium products; although the decline in ownership of small
animals has reduced demand for small animal bedding.
The housing, beds and feeding equipment sector has seen differing performances
of its sub-sectors during the recession, with aquariums (particularly nano
tanks), vivariums and dog cages seeing growth, whilst hutches and feeding
equipment have been negatively impacted over the period.
The collars, leads and utilities products sector has lost share in recent
years as pet owners put off replacing these items or opt for cheaper products
as well as a decline in the muzzle sector.
The pet accessories market is highly fragmented in terms of suppliers, product
ranges and distribution structures. Manufacturers have entered the market from
differing backgrounds that has prevented any company from getting a foot hold
in all product sectors, which maintains the diverse range of companies
operating in the market.
Pet superstores continue to account for the largest share in terms of the
distribution of pet accessories, with independent pet stores being important
distributors, although their share has declined in recent years. Growing
channels include the grocery multiples and the Internet, benefiting from
consumers' desire for convenience shopping.
Table of Contents
CONTENTS and LIST OF TABLES & CHARTS
- 1.1 INTRODUCTION
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION
2 SUMMARY AND FUTURE PROSPECTS
- 2.1 SUMMARY
- 2.2 FUTURE PROSPECTS
3 ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT
- 3.1 GDP
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION
- 3.5 STERLING
- 3.6 POPULATION PROFILE
- 3.7 CONCLUSIONS
4 MARKET OVERVIEW
- 4.1 DEFINITION
- 4.2 MARKET BACKGROUND
- 4.2.1 Overall Pet Market
- 4.2.2 Product Mix for Overall Pet market
- 4.3 PET ACCESSORIES MARKET
- 4.4 MARKET SIZE
- 4.5 CURRENT SITUATION
- 4.6 FUTURE PROSPECTS
- 4.7 KEY MARKET INFLUENCES
- 4.7.1 Pet Ownership Levels
- 4.7.2 The Animal Welfare Act
- 4.7.3 Other influences
- 4.8 PET ACCESSORIES MARKET BY TYPE OF PET
5 PRODUCT MIX
- 5.1 OVERVIEW
- 5.2 TOYS
- 5.2.1 Dog Toys
- 5.2.2 Cat Toys
- 5.2.3 Reptile and Fish Toys
- 5.2.4 Small Animal Toys
- 5.2.5 Toys for Birds
- 5.3 CARE PRODUCTS
- 5.3.1 Flea and Worm Treatments
- 5.3.2 Maintenance Products
- 5.3.3 Healthcare Supplements
- 5.3.4 Grooming Equipment
- 5.4 HOUSING, BEDDING AND FEEDING PRODUCTS
- 5.4.1 Cages
- 5.4.2 Aquariums and Other Vivariums
- 5.4.3 Beds and Baskets
- 5.4.4 Hutches
- 5.4.5 Feeding Equipment
- 5.5 COLLARS, LEADS AND UTILITY PRODUCTS
- 5.5.1 Leads and Collars
- 5.5.2 Muzzles and harnesses
- 5.5.3 Utility Products
- 5.6 OTHER PRODUCTS
- 6.1 SUPPLIER OVERVIEW
- 6.2 MAJOR SUPPLIERS
- 6.3 SUPPLIERS WITHIN SPECIFIC MARKET SECTORS
- 6.3.1 Bedding & Baskets Suppliers
- 6.3.2 Cat Litter Suppliers
- 6.3.3 Aquarium and Vivarium Suppliers
- 7.1 MARKET SHARE OF DISTRIBUTION CHANNELS
- 7.2 PET SUPERSTORES
- 7.3 INDEPENDENT PET SHOPS
- 7.4 GROCERY MULTIPLES
- 7.5 GARDEN AND AQUATIC CENTRES
- 7.6 DIY MULTIPLES, INDEPENDENT HARDWARE & DIY STORES
- 7.7 MAIL ORDER, CATALOGUE AND INTERNET
- 7.8 OTHERS
- 7.9 WHOLESALERS
TABLES AND CHARTS
- CHART 1 UK PET ACCESSORIES PRODUCTS MARKET AND FORECASTS 2005-2015 BY
VALUE (£M RSP)
- CHART 2 INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 1992-2015
- CHART 3 PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 1992-2015
- TABLE 4 EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2006-2011 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND
THE EURO, SPOT RATES
- CHART 5 AGE DISTRIBUTION OF THE RESIDENT UK POPULATION MID-2008 ('000)
- TABLE 6 TOTAL UK PET MARKET BY VALUE (£BN RSP) 2005 - 2015
- CHART 7 OVERALL PET MARKET PRODUCT MARKET MIX - % BY VALUE 2010
- TABLE 8 UK PET ACCESSORIES MARKET 2005 - 2015 (£M RSP)
- CHART 9 PERCENTAGE OF HOUSEHOLDS OWNING A PET IN THE UK - 2011
- CHART 10 THE UK'S TOP TEN PETS - 2011 (MILLIONS)
- CHART 11 PET ACCESSORIES MARKET - MIX BY TYPE OF ANIMAL BY VALUE IN 2010
(DOGS, CATS, FISH/REPTILES, SMALL ANIMALS, BIRDS)
- CHART 12 PET ACCESSORIES MARKET - PRODUCT MIX BY VALUE IN 2010
- TABLE 13 UK TOYS MARKET 2005-2015 (£M RSP)
- CHART 14 MARKET SHARE OF TOYS BY TYPE OF PET - % MIX BY VALUE 2010
- TABLE 15 MARKET SIZE OF UK CARE PRODUCTS MARKET 2005-2015 (£M RSP)
- CHART 16 PRODUCT MIX OF CARE PRODUCTS - % MIX BY VALUE 2010 (FLEA/WORM
TREATMENTS, MAINTENANCE, HEALTH TREATMENTS, GROOMING)
- TABLE 17 METHOD OF SALE OF ANIMAL MEDICINES FOR ALL LIVESTOCK AND PETS -
- TABLE 18 TYPES OF FLEA TREATMENT BY VALUE 2010 (DROPS, COLLARS, SPRAYS,
- CHART 19 TYPE OF WORM TREATMENTS BY VALUE 2010 (TABLETS, GRANULES, OTHERS)
- CHART 20 TYPE OF CAT LITTER BY VALUE 2010
- TABLE 21 UK HOUSING, BEDDING & FEEDING PRODUCTS MARKET 2005-2015 (£M
- CHART 22 MARKET SHARE OF HOUSING, BEDDING AND FEEDING PRODUCTS - % MIX BY
VALUE 2010 (CAGES, AQUARIUMS, BEDDING/BASKETS, HUTCHES ETC)
- TABLE 23 MARKET SHARE OF CAGES BY VALUE - 2010 (SMALL ANIMAL, BIRD, OTHERS)
- TABLE 24 MIX OF AQUARIUMS AND OTHER VIVARIUMS, % BY VALUE 2010
- TABLE 25 MARKET SIZE OF UK COLLARS, LEADS & UTILITY PRODUCTS MARKET
2005-2015 (£M RSP)
- TABLE 26 MARKET SHARE OF MAJOR SUPPLIERS - 2010 BY VALUE
- TABLE 27 MARKET SHARE OF BEDDING & BASKETS SUPPLIERS - 2010 BY VALUE
- TABLE 28 MARKET SHARE OF CAT LITTER SUPPLIERS - 2010 BY VALUE
- TABLE 29 MARKET SHARE OF TANKS/AQUARIUM SUPPLIERS - 2010 BY VALUE
- CHART 30 DISTRIBUTION CHANNELS FOR PET ACCESSORY PRODUCTS IN 2010
PET ACCESSORIES MARKET REPORT - UK 2011-2015 ANALYSIS published by AMA Research in October 3, 2011. This report price starts from US $ 1150.
The contents of this page may be different from the latest version. Please contact us for details.