INTRODUCTION and OVERVIEW
AMA Research are pleased to announce the publication of the second edition of
the report 'Health and Fitness Market Report - Focus on Clubs and Equipment
- UK 2012-2016 Analysis'. The report covers the health and fitness club
sector (private and public), as well as the commercial and home fitness
Areas covered in the report include:
HEALTH & FITNESS CLUBS MARKET - market size, key trends and influencing
factors for health and fitness provision. PRIVATE SECTOR - Market size
and key trends, mix by in-hotel and stand-alone, Mid and Premium sector,
assessment by volume of members, volume of clubs and revenue estimates.
PUBLIC SECTOR - Market size and key trends, assessment of private
leisure management contractors, in-house managed and trust managed facilities.
Analysis by number of members, sites and revenue estimates. COMMERCIAL
FITNESS EQUIPMENT - Market size and key trends, main suppliers and brands,
specialist suppliers, mix between CV and strength training equipment, imports
and exports, and distribution mix. HOME FITNESS EQUIPMENT - Market
size, trends, analysis of product and distribution mix, key product trends,
key suppliers and future prospects.
Despite the economic climate, the health and fitness industry has performed
relatively well in 2010-2011, but the sector is experiencing change - both in
terms of equipment used and the growth of low-budget gyms. However, growth in
the market continued to be constrained by factors such as increasing market
maturity and high levels of competition in all sectors of the market.
Specific points of interest:
Significant changes within the private health clubs sector - growth of
low-cost clubs in 2010/11.
Developments in the fitness equipment sector - new product trends in
Increasing competition and price pressures within the market - market
Growth in niche market segments.
Market forecasts in 2012 and through to 2015.
Some of the companies featured include:
Bannatyne Fitness, BodyPower Sports, Concept II Ltd, Cybex International UK
Ltd, Dave Whelan Sports, David Lloyd Leisure Group, Decathlon, DW Sports
Store, energie Group, Escalade Sports International, Esporta Group, Fitness
First, Fitness Options, Gymworld, Icon Health & Fitness UK, JJB Sports,
Johnson Health Tech UK, Jordan Leisure Systems, Ladies Workout Express, Life
Fitness (UK), New Level UK, Nuffield Health, Powerhouse Fitness, Precor
Products, Pulse Fitness, RFE International, Sports Direct, Star Trac Europe,
Technogym UK, The Club Company, Topnotch Health & Fitness Clubs, Total
Fitness, UK Fitness Supplies, Versaclimber UK, Virgin Active, York Barbell UK.
Key areas covered in the report include:
HEALTH AND FITNESS MARKET
- Total Market Size - analysis by value 2006-2011 with forecasts for
2012-2016, key factors influencing market development e.g. increased public
awareness of health & fitness, industry consolidation and economic
uncertainty. Commentary on recent, current and likely future performance.
- Assessment of the market by private and public sector revenue,
analysis of the number of facilities in overall terms.
- key influences on the market - including consumer spending &
confidence, increased consumer awareness of health and fitness issues,
participation rates in sports, games & physical activities, organizations and
campaigns to encourage sports & fitness and other factors.
PRIVATE / PUBLIC SECTOR
- Market Size - analysis by value 2006-2011 with forecasts for
2012-2016. Recent growth - though growth rates slowing down. Analysis of
revenue source, joining fees, membership fees, ancillary incomes etc. Comment
on recent, current and likely future performance.
- Analysis of 4 key market sectors - Private Stand-alone Health
Clubs, Hotel based Health Clubs, Private and Publicly Managed Local Authority
facilities - sector shares, trends.
- Market Trends & Influencing Factors - slowdown in development of
private fitness facilities; development of niche markets; increasing
competition; growth in corporate and local authority sectors; new exercise
trends; new product development.
- Assessment of market - development of new club outlets, by membership
numbers, and by key market sector - in-hotel and stand-alone
development, independent versus chains, together with Premium, Mid-market and
Value market analysis. Growth of low-cost gyms - new operations in
market, likely future changes.
- Key operators and market shares - leading providers and brands,
private sector groups, independents, hotel chains, etc. Company profiles,
acquisitions - market consolidation.
- Future prospects 2012-2016 and opportunities for the private and
COMMERCIAL FITNESS EQUIPMENT MARKET
- Market Size - analysis by value 2006-2011 with forecasts for
2012-2016. Recent growth levels in the market. Commentary on recent, current
and likely future performance.
- Market Trends & Influencing Factors - growing influence of local
authority health and fitness sectors, development of niche markets; new
exercise trends; new product development, growth of imports etc.
- Impact of Product Innovation & Equipment Upgrading - share mix
between strength and CV equipment, market drivers, future changes/trends.
- Key suppliers - leading equipment suppliers, share estimates,
sector strengths, company profiles etc.
- Future prospects and opportunities for the commercial sector.
HOME FITNESS EQUIPMENT MARKET
- Market Size - analysis by value 2006-2011 with forecasts for
2012-2016. Market trends & Influencing Factors - new product development,
impact of growth of imports etc. Growth/interaction with computer/gaming
- Product Mix - shares for treadmills, bikes, multi-gyms, free
weights etc. key trends in recent years, growth sectors etc.
- Key suppliers and market shares - leading suppliers, share
estimates, sector strengths, company profiles etc. Distribution channel
analysis - growth sectors/new entrants etc.
- Future prospects and opportunities for the sector.
SUMMARY OF REPORT CONTENTS
Fitness Equipment and Health and Fitness Clubs UK Market Size and Forecasts
The health and fitness industry has demonstrated a variable performance over
the past 5 years or so. It is estimated that the UK market for health clubs
including both the private and public sector was worth £3.8bn in 2011,
while the fitness equipment market, covering both commercial and in-home
applications, was worth an estimated £354m.
Both the health club market and the market for fitness equipment can be
considered mature and, as such, are expected to display moderate growth at
best. As shown in the chart, the performance of the fitness equipment market
has largely mirrored the performance in the health clubs market since 2006.
However, there are differences.
The health club market continued to grow strongly until 2009, buoyed by the
local authority, corporate and wellbeing sectors, before demand was negatively
affected by falling disposable incomes and rising unemployment. In addition,
competition intensified with a number of new budget operators entering the
market, pushing membership prices down and leading to a relatively high level
of corporate activity. In 2010, the health and fitness club market experienced
a first year of zero growth in more than a decade, although the market value
is estimated to have returned to growth in 2011 - albeit at a low rate.
The fitness equipment market, on the other hand was affected early in 2008 by
a fall in demand with health clubs postponing major refurbishment projects and
the rate of new club openings falling substantially. This situation continued
until 2009 leading to a fall in market value during the year. While the health
and fitness club market remained flat, the commercial fitness equipment market
saw a significant increase in revenues in 2010 as health clubs implemented
refurbishment programmes in an attempt to attract more members.
Another positive influence on the market at this time was the emergence of a
new health club segment aimed at the lower end of the market. The rate of
development in this segment has been high during 2010 and 2011, boosting
fitness equipment revenues as a number of large projects came on stream.
Health club revenue, however, has not greatly benefited from this as
membership prices are much lower than for traditional clubs and in many cases,
those joining budget clubs were already members of a medium or premium segment
There has been a significant amount of product development in the market in
recent years, which has benefited the market. Much of the new development has
been undertaken with the aim of increasing participation in sports and
fitness, with an increasing range of new products aimed at children, young
people and disabled persons becoming available.
Within the commercial sector, product development has also been centred on the
integration of technology within equipment and more personal entertainment
choices. Features such as iPod and USB connectivity and interactive screens
with 'virtual trainer' and other advanced software included are becoming a
common sight in health clubs.
The outlook for both of these related markets in the medium term is positive.
These are mature markets, so growth rates will be limited; however, there is
strong underlying demand for health and fitness facilities and, therefore,
fitness equipment. It is estimated that by 2016, the market for health clubs
will have reached a value of £4.4bn with the fitness equipment market
forecast to be worth an estimated £403m.
Table of Contents
CONTENTS and LIST OF TABLES & CHARTS
- 1.1 BACKGROUND
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION
2 SUMMARY AND FUTURE PROSPECTS
- 2.1 SUMMARY
- 2.2 FUTURE PROSPECTS
3 ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT
- 3.1 GDP
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION
- 3.6 STERLING
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS
4 FITNESS EQUIPMENT
- 4.1 MARKET DEFINITION
- 4.2 MARKET OVERVIEW
- 4.3 MARKET MIX
- 4.4 KEY MARKET INFLUENCES
- 4.4.1 International Trade
- 4.4.2 Consumer Spending & Participation Levels
- 4.4.3 Funding Streams and Government Campaigns
- 4.4.4 Developments in the Commercial Health & Fitness Sector
- 4.4.5 Exercise Trends & Product Development
5 COMMERCIAL FITNESS EQUIPMENT MARKET
- 5.1 MARKET DEFINITION
- 5.2 MARKET OVERVIEW
- 5.2.1 Market Size
- 5.2.2 Current Situation
- 5.2.3 Future Prospects
- 5.3 PRODUCT MIX
- 5.4 COMMERCIAL FITNESS EQUIPMENT SUPPLY
- 5.4.1 Market Share
- 5.4.2 Leading Suppliers
- 5.5 DISTRIBUTION
6 HOME FITNESS EQUIPMENT MARKET
- 6.1 MARKET DEFINITION
- 6.2 MARKET OVERVIEW
- 6.2.1 Market Size
- 6.2.2 Current Situation
- 6.2.3 Future Prospects
- 6.3 PRODUCT MIX
- 6.4 HOME FITNESS EQUIPMENT SUPPLY
- 6.4.1 Market Share
- 6.4.2 Leading Suppliers
- 6.5 DISTRIBUTION
- 6.5.1 Distribution Channel Mix
- 6.5.2 Leading Distribution Channels
7 HEALTH AND FITNESS CLUBS
- 7.1 MARKET DEFINITION
- 7.2 MARKET STRUCTURE
- 7.3 MARKET SIZE & TRENDS
- 7.3.1 Overview
- 7.3.2 Current Situation
- 7.3.3 Future Prospects
- 7.4 MARKET MIX
- 7.5 THE PRIVATE HEALTH CLUB MARKET
- 7.5.1 Market Review
- 7.5.2 Market Shares and Company Profiles
- 7.5.3 Key Market Segments
- 7.6 LOCAL AUTHORITY MARKET
- 7.6.1 Market Review
- 7.6.2 Market Shares and Company Profiles
TABLES AND CHARTS
- CHART 1 FITNESS EQUIPMENT AND HEALTH & FITNESS CLUBS - UK MARKET SIZE AND
FORECASTS 2006-2016 (£M)
- CHART 2 INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 1992-2015
- CHART 3 PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 1992-2015
- TABLE 4 EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2006-2012 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND
THE EURO, SPOT RATES
- CHART 5 AGE DISTRIBUTION OF THE RESIDENT UK POPULATION MID-2008 ('000)
- TABLE 6 UK FITNESS EQUIPMENT MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS 2006 TO 2016
(£M AT MSP)
- CHART 7 FITNESS EQUIPMENT MARKET MIX 2011 - COMMERCIAL AND HOME FITNESS -
% BY VALUE
- TABLE 8 GENERAL PHYSICAL EXERCISE, GYMNASTICS & RESISTANCE EQUIPMENT -
IMPORTS/EXPORTS - 2006 TO 2011 BY VALUE (£M)
- CHART 9 TOP 10 COUNTRIES OF ORIGIN FOR FITNESS EQUIPMENT 2010 (£M)
- TABLE 10 CONSUMER SPEND ON SPORTING & RECREATIONAL SERVICES UK 2000-2010 -
BY VALUE (£M) AT CONSTANT PRICES
- TABLE 11 UK COMMERCIAL FITNESS EQUIPMENT MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS 2006 -
2016 (£M AT MSP)
- CHART 12 UK COMMERCIAL FITNESS EQUIPMENT MARKET - PRODUCT MIX 2011 BY
VALUE (%) - CV, STRENGTH/RESISTANCE, ACCESSORIES
- CHART 13 LEADING SUPPLIERS OF COMMERCIAL FITNESS EQUIPMENT - MARKET SHARE
BY VALUE 2010 (%)
- TABLE 14 LEADING SUPPLIERS OF FITNESS EQUIPMENT IN THE UK COMMERCIAL
FITNESS EQUIPMENT MARKET 2011
- TABLE 15 UK HOME FITNESS EQUIPMENT MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS 2006 TO 2016
- CHART 16 PRODUCT MIX IN THE HOME FITNESS EQUIPMENT MARKET - BY VALUE 2011
(%) - TREADMILLS, BIKES, MULTI-GYMS, FREE WEIGHTS, OTHER AEROBIC, ACCESSORIES
- TABLE 17 UK HOME FITNESS EQUIPMENT - SUPPLIER MARKET SHARE ESTIMATES 2011
- TABLE 18 LEADING SUPPLIERS OF FITNESS EQUIPMENT IN THE UK HOME FITNESS
EQUIPMENT MARKET 2011
- CHART 19 HOME FITNESS EQUIPMENT DISTRIBUTION MIX 2011 - % BY VALUE (MAUL
ORDER/CAT., SPECIALISTS, DEPT STORES/GROCERY, GENERAL SPORTS ETC)
- TABLE 20 UK HEALTH & FITNESS CLUB MARKET SIZE AND FORECASTS 2006 TO 2016 -
BY VALUE (£BN)
- CHART 21 MARKET MIX BY NUMBER OF CLUBS - PUBLIC/PRIVATE - 2011 (%)
- CHART 22 UK PRIVATE HEALTH CLUB MARKET - 2006- 2016 (£BN)
- CHART 23 HEALTH & FITNESS CLUBS REVENUE SOURCE - 2006 - 2012 (%)
- CHART 24 MIX OF PRIVATE SECTOR HEALTH CLUBS - BY TYPE 2011 (%) -
INDEPENDENT SINGLE SITES, CHAINS
- CHART 25 PRIVATE HEALTH CLUB SECTOR - LEADING OPERATORS MARKET SHARES 2011
- TABLE 26 LEADING PRIVATE HEALTH & FITNESS CLUB BRANDS/ OPERATORS BY NUMBER
OF FACILITIES 2011
- TABLE 27 LEADING UK BUDGET GYM OPERATORS 2011 - NO. OF CLUBS AND
- TABLE 28 LEADING PRIVATE HEALTH & FITNESS CLUB BRANDS/ OPERATORS 2011
- CHART 29 UK LOCAL AUTHORITY SECTOR FITNESS MARKET - 2006- 2016 (£BN)
- CHART 30 MANAGEMENT OF PUBLIC SECTOR FITNESS CLUBS - IN-HOUSE, LEISURE
TRUST, LEISURE MANAGEMENT CONTRACTOR - 2011 (%)
- TABLE 31 LEADING PUBLIC SECTOR HEALTH & FITNESS CLUB BRANDS/OPERATORS 2011
HEALTH AND FITNESS MARKET REPORT - FOCUS ON CLUBS AND EQUIPMENT - UK 2012-2016 ANALYSIS published by AMA Research in January 31, 2012. This report consists of 89 Pages and the price starts from US $ 1150.
The contents of this page may be different from the latest version. Please contact us for details.