INTRODUCTION and OVERVIEW
AMA Research are pleased to announce the publication of the sixth edition of
the report 'Underfloor Heating Market Report - UK 2012 - 2016
Analysis'. The report incorporates original input and primary research,
and represents an up-to-date and perceptive review of the market and its
This unique report answers the need for both a quantitative and qualitative
analysis of the underfloor heating market focusing on market size and trends,
product mix, supply, distribution and future prospects, the report is
comprehensive, informative and will facilitate operational and strategic
Product sectors reviewed include:
- Water-based UFH Systems
- Electric UFH Systems
Key markets reviewed include:
- Self Build
- Public Sector
- New Housebuilding
With technological advances and increasing availability and popularity, the
underfloor heating market continues to be one of the fastest growing markets
in the heating industry, worth around £78 million at manufacturers
selling prices in 2011. In particular, environmental concerns and tighter
energy efficiency requirements are seeing a greater influence on demand. In
addition, future growth will be supported by the increasing number of
applications using renewable energy sources, which are particularly compatible
with these types of heating systems.
Areas of particular interest include:-
- Market size and trend analysis for electric and water-based systems.
- Analysis of new build housing, refurbishment activity and
- Influence of non-domestic sector, in particular health and
- Floor covering analysis.
- Key supplier analysis and market shares.
- Analysis of distribution structure and channels, key trends and
- Review of influential standards and regulatory requirements.
AHT Advanced Heating Technologies, Allbrite UK, Anders Heating Company (AHS),
Begetube UK, C&F Techniks, CM Skye Grantees Ltd, Continental Underfloor
Heating, Creda Heating, Danfoss Randall, David Robbens Underfloor Heating
Systems, Devi Electric Heating Systems, Dimplex, Domoteck, Ebeco, Eco Hometec,
Elektra UK, Emmeti UK, Evenheat, Evenheat UK, Flexel International, Floor
Heating Systems, FloRad, Flowcrete, Gaia Climate Solutions, Giacommi Sales UK,
Heatstore, Hilton Croft, Invisible Heating Systems UK, IPPEC, John Guest
Speedfit, Jupiter UK, Kerocs, Kestrin, Levante, LK Systems, Matthewson
Underfloor Heating Solutions, Nu-Heat, Pedarson Heating Group, Philex, Pipe
2000, Polypipe, Raychem, Rayotec, Rehau, Rettig UK, Thermoboard, Thermo-Floor,
Thermogroup UK, Timeguard, Tyco Thermal Controls, Underfloor Heating Systems,
Uponor Ltd , Vent Axia, Warmfloors Online, Warmup, Watts Industries UK, Wavin
Key areas of coverage in the report include:-
UNDERFLOOR HEATING MARKET
- Market size from 2007-2012, industry structure, analysis of key
market developments and trends.
- Future prospects, likely future trends, market forecasts to 2016.
- End use sectors - domestic and non-domestic.
- Key market influences - general trends in floorcoverings market,
renewable energy technologies, impact of new building methods, interior design
- Review of influential standards and regulatory requirements.
END USE APPLICATIONS
- Market mix by application - self build, private housing, social
housing, non-domestic applications.
- Analysis of housing market - new build, RMI activity, mix of
completions, house moving levels etc.
- Self build sector - market size, trends and influences, future
- Conservatories and garden rooms - market overview, future prospects.
- Non domestic applications - health and education sectors, other
non-domestic - key trends, issues and future prospects.
UNDERFLOOR HEATING PRODUCTS
- Value of the key product sectors (electric and water-based systems)
- product mix 2007-2012 and forecasts to 2016.
- Review of electric underfloor heating - cable systems, heating mat
- Water-based underfloor heating - key components, trends,
development of retrofit systems.
- Review of underfloor heating controls - zone control, wi-fi,
- Identification of key manufacturers for electric and water-based
- Supply structure analysis.
- Market shares of key suppliers.
- Review and analysis of leading suppliers, including company
profile, turnover, recent activity, etc.
- Summary of significant other suppliers.
- Role of contractors and installers - key trends and issues.
- Analysis of key channels - direct supply, merchants/distributors,
electrical wholesalers, DIY multiples, tile specialists, internet e-tailers
- Review of key channels - relative strengths of channels in
different end use markets, profile analysis of key indirect distributors.
CONTENTS and LIST OF TABLES & CHARTS
The UK underfloor heating market accounts for around 5% of the total UK
heating market, with an estimated value of around £78 million at
manufacturers selling prices (MSP) in 2011. This market is broadly classified
into two product types; water- based UFH systems and electric UFH systems. All
market estimates relate to materials only and exclude installation work.
Traditionally UFH has been perceived as an exclusive commodity; however recent
technological advances have led to a steady increase in its availability and
popularity in the UK, making it one of the fastest growing markets in the
heating industry. UFH is growing in popularity with new build developers and
self builders who are increasingly using UFH systems to add value to
properties. Self builders in particular are willing to invest more in initial
costs in order to appreciate longer term benefits.
Like other products in the building and construction industry, the market for
underfloor heating has been impacted by the global financial crisis. Recent
market performance in the domestic sector has proved to be particularly
difficult, with the decline in the housing market and fall in consumer
spending negatively impacting on demand.
The short term outlook for the UK underfloor heating market remains fragile.
Confidence remains weak and neither housebuilding nor housemoving have seen
any substantial recovery in 2011, and are unlikely to recover strongly in
2012. This will continue to impact on a wide range of products, including UFH.
However, in the medium to longer term, the UK underfloor heating market is
expected to return to steady growth as the economy stabilises and confidence
improves. It is also expected that UFH will start to be adopted in the wider
market as systems become easier to install and the benefits become more widely
The non-domestic sector continues to dominate the UK underfloor heating market
with 51% share by value. This sector is starting to feel the impact of the
public sector spending cuts. The domestic sector accounts for the remaining
49% of the market and includes self build installations, new build activity
and RMI / DIY retrofit projects.
Imports continue to account for a significant proportion of UFH products sold
in the UK, exposing the market to a high level of price competition. This will
affect value growth in the medium to long term. Distribution remains dominated
by direct supply with manufacturers and other specialists often offering a
'supply and fit' service. However, there has been a shift towards indirect
distribution, particularly in the domestic sector, with merchants, DIY
multiples, and other retailers becoming more involved in the distribution of
Penetration levels of UFH remain low and there is still ample room for good
market growth in the future, with wider adoption by the new build sector
likely. Tightening legislation is likely to encourage housebuilders to use UFH
as a means of meeting the more stringent energy efficiency targets. In the
short to medium term it is likely there will be an increase in the number of
companies involved in UFH distribution as the market grows and organisations
spot opportunities to exploit different positions. However, in the longer term
there is likely to be some consolidation within the supply sector, easing
price competition and thus aiding value growth.
By 2016 the market value is forecast to be around £90m at MSP, which
would represent an increase of around 13% compared to the market size in 2012.
Table of Contents
- 1.1 BACKGROUND
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION
2 SUMMARY & FUTURE PROSPECTS
- 2.1 SUMMARY
- 2.2 KEY TRENDS
- 2.3 FUTURE PROSPECTS
3 ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT
- 3.1 GDP
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION
- 3.6 STERLING
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS
4 UK MARKET FOR UNDERFLOOR HEATING
- 4.1 DEFINITION
- 4.2 UK HEATING MARKET
- 4.3 UNDERFLOOR HEATING MARKET
- 4.3.1 Market Size
- 4.3.2 Market Background
- 4.3.3 Future Prospects
- 4.4 END USE SECTORS
- 4.4.1 Domestic UFH
- 4.4.2 Non-Domestic UFH
- 4.5. KEY MARKET INFLUENCES
- 4.5.1 Floorcoverings Market
- 4.5.2 Renewable Energy Technologies
- 4.5.3 New Building Methods
- 4.5.4 Interior Design
- 4.6 STANDARDS AND REGULATIONS
5 END USE MARKET APPLICATIONS
- 5.1 APPLICATION MIX
- 5.2 HOUSING MARKET
- 5.2.1 New House Build
- 5.2.2 Mix of House Building Completions
- 5.2.3 Value of Housing Output - Refurbishment Activity
- 5.2.4 House Moving Levels
- 5.3 SELF BUILD
- 5.4 CONSERVATORIES AND GARDEN ROOMS
- 5.5 NON-DOMESTIC APPLICATIONS
- 5.5.1 Sector Overview
- 5.5.2 Health
- 5.5.3 Education
- 5.5.4 Other Applications
- 6.1 PRODUCT MIX
- 6.2 BENEFITS AND LIMITATIONS OF UFH
- 6.3 TYPES OF FLOOR CONSTRUCTION
- 6.4 ELECTRIC UFH
- 6.4.1 Cable Systems
- 6.4.2 Heating Mat Systems
- 6.5 WATER-BASED UFH
- 6.6 UFH CONTROLS
- 7.1 SUPPLY OVERVIEW
- 7.2 KEY COMPANY PROFILES
- 7.3 OTHER SUPPLIERS
- 7.4 UNDERFLOOR HEATING CONTRACTORS
- 8.1 DISTRIBUTION STRUCTURE OF UFH
- 8.1.1 Domestic
- 8.1.2 Non-Domestic
- 8.2 KEY COMPANIES
- 8.2.1 Merchants
- 8.2.2 Distributors
- 8.2.3 Electrical Wholesalers
- 8.2.4 DIY Multiples
- 8.2.5 Internet E-tailers
- 8.2.6 Tile Specialists
TABLES AND CHARTS
- CHART 1 UK UNDERFLOOR HEATING MARKET BY VALUE (£M MSP) 2007-2016
- CHART 2 INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 1992-2016
- CHART 3 PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 1992-2016
- TABLE 4 EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2006-2012 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND
THE EURO, SPOT RATES
- CHART 5 AGE DISTRIBUTION OF THE RESIDENT UK POPULATION MID-2008 ('000)
- TABLE 6 UK HEATING MARKET 2008-2013 (£M MSP)
- TABLE 7 UK UNDERFLOOR HEATING MARKET (£M MSP) 2007-2016
- CHART 8 UK UNDERFLOOR HEATING MARKET % MIX BY END USE SECTOR 2011
- CHART 9 UK FLOORCOVERINGS MARKET % PRODUCT MIX BY VALUE
- TABLE 10 UK CERAMIC FLOOR TILES MARKET 2008-2013 (£M MSP)
- TABLE 11 UK WOOD / LAMINATE FLOORCOVERING MARKET 2008-2013 (£M MSP)
- CHART 12 UK UNDERFLOOR HEATING MARKET % MIX BY APPLICATION 2011
- TABLE 13 UK HOUSEBUILDING COMPLETIONS 2007-2010 ('000 DWELLINGS)
- CHART 14 HOUSEBUILDING COMPLETIONS IN ENGLAND - % MIX BY TYPE OF DWELLING
- TABLE 15 VALUE OF UK NEW HOUSING OUTPUT AND RMI OUTPUT (£M) 2007-2010
- TABLE 16 UK RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY TRANSACTIONS VALUED AT £40K OR
- TABLE 17 UK SELF BUILD MARKET 2008-2013 (000'S)
- TABLE 18 UK GARDEN ROOMS AND BUILDINGS MARKET 2008-2013 (000S)
- TABLE 19 NON DOMESTIC CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT FIGURES 2008-2013 (£
BILLION AT CURRENT PRICES)
- CHART 20 CONSTRUCTION OUTPUT NEW WORK BY APPLICATION SECTOR 2008-2015
(£ BILLION AT CURRENT PRICES)
- TABLE 21 VALUE OF CONTRACTORS OUTPUT IN HEALTH 2008-2013 (£ BILLION
AT CURRENT PRICES)
- TABLE 22 VALUE OF CONTRACTORS OUTPUT IN EDUCATION 2008-2013
(£BILLION AT CURRENT PRICES)
- CHART 23 UK UNDERFLOOR HEATING MARKET % PRODUCT MIX BY VALUE 2011
- CHART 24 % MIX OF ELECTRIC AND WATER-BASED SYSTEMS 2004, 2011, 2016
- TABLE 25 UK UNDERFLOOR HEATING SUPPLIERS % MARKET SHARE 2011
- CHART 26 UK PLUMBING, HEATING AND AIR CONDITIONING CONTRACTORS REGISTERED
FOR VAT BY TURNOVER BAND 2011
- TABLE 27 DISTRIBUTION OF UFH PRODUCTS TO END USERS 2011
- TABLE 28 DOMESTIC DISTRIBUTION OF UFH PRODUCTS BY CHANNEL 2011
UNDERFLOOR HEATING Market REPORT - UK 2012-2016 ANALYSIS published by AMA Research in March 14, 2012. This report consists of 80 Pages and the price starts from US $ 1150.
The contents of this page may be different from the latest version. Please contact us for details.