INTRODUCTION and OVERVIEW
AMA Research are pleased to announce the publication of the Tenth
Edition of the 'Domestic Conservatory Market Report - UK 2012-2016
Analysis' - incorporating original input and primary research, it
represents an up-to-date and comprehensive review of the Conservatory market.
The report reviews the Conservatory market in domestic applications, assessing
recent volatility in the sector. Recent trends and future prospects for the
market are reviewed, with a focus on both the short and longer term prospects
up to 2016. Despite the downturn, this market is still worth well
over £1 billion at retail prices including heating, lighting,
flooring and window coverings etc.
Key issues reviewed:
- MARKET SIZE - Volumes, Values, Trends, Forecasts.
- PRODUCT MIX - Styles and Designs
- FRAME MATERIALS - Share by PVCu, Aluminium, Timber - Trends,
- SUPPLY & DISTRIBUTION - Key Suppliers, Channel Shares. etc
Compiled by marketing professionals with experience of the Conservatory
market, this report answers the need for both a comprehensive review of market
developments and a detailed analysis of influencing factors and possible
future trends in 2012-2016.
Key areas of interest:-
- Review of market performance - market conditions in 2010-2012.
- Material usage by sector - recent trends and future changes - trend
towards diversification of styles, orangeries etc.
- Market prospects - short and medium term prospects up to 2016 -
prospects for recovery in the medium term, growth of Internet.
- Overview of sector including related fittings and accessories -
flooring, blinds, underfloor heating etc.
Companies included in this report:
Anglian Windows, Aztec Conservatory Roof Systems, C R Smith, Cambrian Windows,
CWG Choices, David Salisbury, Deceuninck, Duraflex, Epwin Holdings, Eurocell
Profiles, Europlas, Everest, Griffin Windows, High Tech Windows, Howarth
Timber, J.R Willoughby, John Fredericks Plastics, K2 Conservatories, Kawneer
UK, LB Plastics, Malbrook, Premier Trade Frames, Profine UK, Quantal, Rehau,
Richmond Oak, Safestyle, SAPA Group, Sash UK, Smart Systems, Staybrite, Swift
Frame, Synseal, Ultraframe Conservatory Roofs, Vale Garden Houses, Veka,
Weatherseal, Wendland Roof Solutions, Zenith, Zoom Conservatory Roof Systems.
Key areas of coverage in the report include:-
- Market size by VALUE - market developments from 2007-2011, analysis
and forecast of market trends 2012 - 2016.
- Conservatory market by VOLUME - rapid growth in mid-late 1990s,
market conditions from 2000-2011, analysis of volatile situation in 2008 -2011
and factors influencing future developments to 2012.
- Market sizes by product and material usage - changing mix between
PVCu, Timber & Aluminum 2000-2011, strengths and weaknesses of different
- Future prospects for material usage up to 2016 - prospects for
- Market penetration levels - current household ownership levels
and future developments - saturation levels and limiting factors on long
- Analysis of overall market developments - growth rates, changes in
market since 2006, materials, component supplies (roof systems etc.), Design
changes (growth of bespoke designs /orangeries etc, Planning/Building
Regulations, and future trends.
- Analysis of conservatory accessory market sectors including
flooring, window coverings/blinds, underfloor heating etc. - overall
market size and trends by sector, impact of conservatory market.
DISTRIBUTION AND SUPPLY
- Channels of Distribution - Sales of products by channels of
distribution (DIY Outlets, Garden Centres, Direct Sell Companies, Internet,
Conservatory Specialists, Builders etc. Areas of specialisation and analysis
of changes between 2000 and 2011.
- Analysis of new build as a market sector - recent trends, changing
housing market, longer term potential.
- Mix of material usage by distribution channels - analysis of
- Distribution structure for PVCu, Aluminum & Timber Conservatories -
major differences between material.
- Distribution Channel Shares - by volume and value. Growth of
- Future prospects for major channels - including analysis of changes
in market structure in recent years.
- Major suppliers - market restructuring in 2009-2012, product
positioning, specialisation, shares within market sectors, areas of
growth/decline - strengths and weaknesses.
- Analysis of price levels - recent and future trends.
- General overview of economic climate - impact of 'credit crunch' on
conservatory market and prospects for recovery in the medium term.
- Forecast of key market, product supply and distribution trends up to 2016.
SUMMARY OF REPORT CONTENTS
Household Ownership of Conservatories
Since 2008, the conservatory market has been characterised by poor performance
and large volume declines. In particular, it has been significantly affected
by poor consumer confidence, the restriction of credit and a dramatically
reduced house moving market.
The market was estimated to be worth around £564m in 2011. In volume
terms this represents around 93,600 conservatories. The market in 2012 is a
more sophisticated market than existed in the fairly recent past, offering a
wider product range (eg orangeries, glazed extensions, alongside traditional
style conservatories) and a wider range of colour and material options. This
situation has developed in response to a more demanding customer base than
existed pre-2008. There are fewer small projects being undertaken and average
prices are therefore higher than in 2008.
In terms of frame materials, PVC-U continues to dominate, but timber has a
good share, retaining its attraction for many consumers due to its natural
appearance and sustainability credentials. Aluminium remains a more expensive
option, though it has retained a niche share in the domestic market, perhaps
for larger installations where structural support demands it.
Average prices are critical in the PVC-U sector where volumes have declined
significantly and competition is intense. In the high end timber sector,
pressure on prices is thought to have been less and margins better, as this
sector has held up better in the current and recent economic climate.
In the self-build sector, the focus has switched from DIY stores to online
conservatory specialists, who offer a wider range of product options than
those offered by DIY outlets even in the recent past.
The supply structure for conservatories remains very complex and fragmented.
Some consolidation has occurred, particularly at national retail level and at
roof systems level. There have been several high profile company closures and
mergers. Main channels of distributions are garden centres, replacement window
companies, DIY outlets and conservatory specialists.
Our forecast for value growth rates are for low, gradual improvement in this
market. We do not anticipate that any substantial change is likely to be seen
in the short to medium term, with subdued economic prospects, continued
restriction of credit and low consumer confidence key factors restricting any
strong market recovery. The market is not expected to recover to the peak
volumes of over 200,000 annual installations achieved in the early-mid 2000s.
Table of Contents
CONTENTS and LIST OF TABLES & CHARTS
- 1.1 BACKGROUND
- 1.2 SOURCES OF INFORMATION
2 SUMMARY & OUTLOOK
3 ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT
- 3.1 GDP
- 3.2 INFLATION & INTEREST RATES
- 3.3 UNEMPLOYMENT
- 3.4 HOUSEHOLD CONSUMPTION
- 3.5 HOUSING & CONSTRUCTION
- 3.6 STERLING
- 3.7 POPULATION PROFILE
- 3.8 CONCLUSIONS
4 MARKET STRUCTURE
- 4.1 MARKET DEFINITION
- 4.2 MARKET SIZE
- 4.2.1 Background
- 4.2.2 Current Trends & Future Growth
- 4.3 MARKET VOLUMES
- 4.4 MARKET TRENDS
- 4.4.1 Planning Permission and Building Regulations
- 4.5 CONSERVATORIES AND ENERGY USE
- 4.6 HOUSEHOLD OWNERSHIP LEVELS
- 5.1 PRODUCT TRENDS
- 5.2 FRAME MATERIALS AND GLAZING
- 5.3 ROOF SYSTEMS
- 5.4 CONSERVATORY STYLES AND DESIGNS
- 5.5 OTHER RELATED PRODUCTS
- 5.6 MARKET OVERVIEW
- 5.6.1 Market Value
- 5.6.2 Mix by Application
- 5.6.3 Heating Systems
- 5.6.4 Blinds
- 5.6.5 Others
- 6.1 SUPPLY STRUCTURE
- 6.2 MARKET SHARES
- 6.3 COMPANY PROFILES
- 6.3.1 Manufacturers
- 6.3.2 Specialist Roofing Systems Suppliers
- 6.3.3 Window Profile Suppliers
7 CHANNELS OF DISTRIBUTION
- 7.1 OVERVIEW
- 7.2 GARDEN CENTRES
- 7.3 REPLACEMENT WINDOW COMPANIES
- 7.4 DIY MULTIPLES
- 7.5 CONSERVATORY SPECIALISTS
- 7.6 OTHER
TABLES AND CHARTS
- TABLE 1 DOMESTIC CONSERVATORY MARKET 2007 -2016 (£M RSP)
- CHART 2 INTEREST RATES AND INFLATION (CPI) FROM 1992-2016
- CHART 3 PDI & SAVINGS RATIO AT CURRENT PRICES 1992-2016
- TABLE 4 EXCHANGE RATE FLUCTUATIONS 2006-2012 - STERLING TO THE DOLLAR, AND
THE EURO, SPOT RATES
- CHART 5 AGE DISTRIBUTION OF THE RESIDENT UK POPULATION MID-2008 ('000)
- TABLE 6 DOMESTIC CONSERVATORY MARKET 2007 -2016 (£M RSP)
- CHART 7 SPACE ADDING HOME IMPROVEMENTS - % SHARE BY TYPE
- TABLE 8 DOMESTIC CONSERVATORY MARKET 2007 -2016 BY VOLUME
- CHART 9 HOUSEHOLD OWNERSHIP OF CONSERVATORIES 1990-2012
- CHART 10 HOUSEBUILDING COMPLETIONS IN ENGLAND - % MIX BY TYPE OF DWELLING
- TABLE 11 FRAME MATERIAL USAGE - VOLUMES - 1992-2012
- CHART 12 FRAME MATERIAL USAGE, VOLUME TERMS, 1989-2016
- CHART 13 CONSERVATORY STYLES 2012 - % SHARE BY VOLUME
- CHART 14 UK MARKET AND FORECASTS FOR CERAMIC AND NATURAL STONE TILES
2005-2015 - BY VALUE (£M AT MSP)
- CHART 15 UK MARKET FOR CERAMIC AND PORCELAIN TILES PRODUCT MIX 2010 - % BY
- CHART 16 UK MARKET FOR CERAMIC AND PORCELAIN TILES - FLOOR & WALL MIX 2010
- % BY VALUE
- TABLE 17 UK UNDERFLOOR HEATING MARKET (£M MSP) 2007-2016
- TABLE 18 UK DOMESTIC BLINDS MARKET BY VALUE 2006 TO 2016 - BY VALUE
(£ MILLION AT RSP)
- TABLE 19 CONSERVATORY MARKET 2011 ESTIMATED SHARE BY VALUE
- TABLE 20 RETAIL MARKET SHARE - BY VALUE 2011
- TABLE 21 CONSERVATORY CHANNELS OF DISTRIBUTION 1990 - 2011, % SHARE BY
- CHART 22 CHANNELS OF DISTRIBUTION - 2011 SHARE BY VALUE
- CHART 23 DISTRIBUTION OF TIMBER CONSERVATORIES
- CHART 24 DISTRIBUTION OF PVC-U CONSERVATORIES
DOMESTIC CONSERVATORY Market REPORT - UK 2012-2016 ANALYSIS published by AMA Research in June 1, 2012. This report consists of 76 Pages and the price starts from US $ 1150.