Grey handsets are not recognized or licensed by government regulators and
employ fake International Mobile Equipment Identity (IMEI) numbers. Producers
of these devices generally do not pay value-added taxes and, therefore, profit
illegally from their participation in the market.
This report provides a global assessment of the grey handset ecosystem, in
addition to considering the wider legitimate handset industry. A study of the
industry's history, value chain and market dynamics is presented. The report
also provides detailed market forecasts for grey and legitimate handset
shipments from 2012 to 2016, at a global, regional and country level.
Historical figures for 2010 and 2011 are also provided.
Driven by a growing popularity amongst cost-conscious consumers demanding
high-end features at affordable prices, ARCchart expects the grey market will
continue to grow over the next two years, eventually peaking in 2013, with
nearly 150 million shipments. In conjunction with legitimate handset
shipments, we expect grey handset shipments will witness a decline from 2013
Topics of coverage include:
- History of grey handsets
- Industry dynamics
- Grey handset value chain
- Competitive advantages over legitimate handsets
- Emerging trends
- Grey smartphones
- Health and safety concerns
- Innovation and innovate products
- Regulator attempts to curtail the market
Companies and organisations mentioned, discussed or reviewed include:
- CK Telecom
- Texas Instruments
- Tianyu (K-touch)
Answers and opinions are provided with respect to the following essential questions:
- When will the grey handset market peak?
- What are the factors driving the grey market?
- How are grey manufacturers able to evade authorities?
- Will Europe and North America see much grey handset penetration?
- What proportion of the overall handset market will be grey?
- Which country will be the largest market for grey devices?
- How will the arrival of LTE impact the grey handset market?
- What are the factors preventing regulators from a large scale crackdown?
- Which region will experience the fastest grey handset growth in the coming