Why was the report written?
Marketers in the Ice cream market face a major challenge. Understanding market size and segmentation is valuable, but the keys to effective targeting is knowing just how valuable specific consumer groups are, and being able to quantify the impact of consumer trends.This report solves these problems by providing integrated survey-based data on consumer trends, consumer groups and market data which show exactly the size of consumer groups, how much of the Ice cream market they account for and which consumer trends drive their behavior.
What is the current market landscape and what is changing?
As India undergoes rapid development and population dynamics start to take effect, being able to capitalize early on the new emerging consumer behaviors will be fundamental to future growth. India's young population, adapting to increasing affluence, will shape the market for years to come. This makes early identification of the consumer groups and trends driving market behavior essential.
What are the key drivers behind recent market changes?
Consumers' uptake of products and the influence of consumer trends are fundamental causes of change in markets - making knowing what these trends are and the extent of their influence crucial.The survey-based data provided in this report examines over 20 consumer trends that affect the market and examines the share of sales across 26 consumer groups - providing through the data a detailed insight into exactly who the consumer is and just how much impact the latest consumer trends are having.
What makes this report unique and essential to read?
The data provided is unique in the market as it tracks consumer behavior through to its actual value impact on a product market. This provides readers with a unique data analysis of the market allowing marketing tactics and strategy to be updated in line with the very latest consumer behaviors.
- Consumer survey data for the following specific categories: Artisanal Ice Cream, Impulse Ice Cream, Take-home Ice Cream
- Detailed consumer segmentation based on survey data covering over 26 consumer groups, 20 consumer trends and consumption frequency for each product category.
- Volume shares in 2011 for brands and private label sales tracked by the survey.
Reasons To Buy
- Unique proprietary data that sizes and segments consumers, tracks their behavior and shows the impact of this on their markets
- Results also cover over 20 consumer trends, showing exactly to what extent these trends have a direct influence on a market. As this impact assessment is based not only on how many consumers act on these trends, but also how often they act on this it provides unique insight into the "size of the prize" when targeting these consumer trends in each category covered.
- Private label penetration is negligible in the Ice Cream market in India. One driver of this is the fragmented nature of the Indian retail environment, with private labels typically more successful in mature, concentrated retail markets.
- Market valuation reveals that Impulse Ice Cream has a value share of 65% in the overall Ice Cream market in India, followed by Take-home Ice Cream. Artisanal Ice Cream has the smallest market share.
- A significant "attitude-behavior" gap exists between the share of consumers citing that a trend affects their consumption and the actual share of the market value these trends influence. For instance, 43% of consumers state that the Fun and Enjoyment trends affects their choice of Ice Cream consumption, but this trend affects less than 20% of the value of each Ice Cream market. This is because consumers don't always act on these trends - the result is that overall trend influence is limited, but has the potential to grow.