Why was the report written?
Marketers in the Savory Snacks market face a major challenge. Understanding market size and segmentation is valuable, but the key to effective targeting is to know just how valuable specific consumer groups are, and being able to quantify the impact of consumer trends.This report solves these problems by providing integrated survey-based data on consumer trends, consumer groups and market data which show exactly the size of consumer groups, how much of the Savory Snacks market they account for and which consumer trends drive their behavior.
What is the current market landscape and what is changing?
The weak Italian economy has led consumers to evaluate their consumption habits in most CPG categories, particularly Savory Snacks which are considered occasional treats. Lack of consumer spending has resulted in declining consumption, whilst the retail market has been characterized by an increased amount of discount and own-brand products. However, the Italian economy is showing some signs of improving. As consumer confidence increases proportionally to economic recovery, consumer trends will be directly affected.
What are the key drivers behind recent market changes?
Consumers' uptake of products and the influence of consumer trends are fundamental causes of change in markets - making knowing what these trends are and the extent of their influence crucial.The survey-based data provided in this report examines over 20 consumer trends that affect the market and examines the share of sales across 26 consumer groups - providing through the data a detailed insight into exactly who the consumer is and just how much impact the latest consumer trends are having.
What makes this report unique and essential to read?
The data provided is unique in the market as it tracks consumer behavior through to its actual value impact on a product market. This provides readers with a unique data analysis of the market allowing marketing tactics and strategy to be updated in line with the very latest consumer behaviors.
- Consumer survey data for the following specific categories: the Ethnic/Traditional Snacks, Meat Snacks, Nuts & Seeds, Popcorn, Potato Chips, Pretzels and Processed Snacks markets.
- Detailed consumer segmentation based on survey data covering over 26 consumer groups, 20 consumer trends and consumption frequency for each product category.
- Volume shares in 2011 for brands and private label sales tracked by the survey.
- Unique retailer choice and switching data as tracked by the survey are provided at the product category level for 2011.
Reasons To Buy
- Unique proprietary data that sizes and segments consumers, tracks their behavior and shows the impact of this on their markets
- Results also cover over 20 consumer trends, showing exactly to what extent these trends have a direct influence on a market. As this impact assessment is based not only on how many consumers act on these trends, but also how often they act on this it provides unique insight into the "size of the prize" when targeting these consumer trends in each category covered.
- While Older Consumers are the most valuable age group in the Savory Snacks market in Italy with a 23% value share, this is achieved through sheer weight of numbers as they account for 32% of the population. While marketers may wish to target the largest consumer group in the country, they should beware their below average consumption.
- Not only do a significant proportion of Italian consumers, in certain categories at least, highlight that specific consumer trends have an influence on their consumption, this translates into a significant proportion of actual value being directly influenced as well. Consumers are therefore acting on these trends enough to ensure that targeting them, in the right categories, is essential to success. However, it should be noted that trends in the Italian market are weaker than those recorded in other European markets such as France and Germany.
- While private label penetration is relatively high in categories such as Popcorn and Meat Snacks, only 8% of the volume of Potato Chips products distributed is private label. As the most valuable category in the Savory Snacks market retailers should be expected to increase their investment in this category, particularly given the fragmented nature of the Potato Chips market.