Why was the report written?
Marketers in the Meat market face a major challenge. Understanding market size and segmentation is valuable, but the keys to effective targeting is knowing just how valuable specific consumer groups are, and being able to quantify the impact of consumer trends.This report solves these problems by providing integrated survey-based data on consumer trends, consumer groups and market data which show exactly the size of consumer groups, how much of the Meat market they account for and which consumer trends drive their behavior.
What is the current market landscape and what is changing?
Most Meat categories are already well established in France, and outside of population trends the opportunities for volume growth appear limited, unless innovations can find areas of latent demand. Instead the Meat industry should seek to find ways of offering greater value to French consumers in order to drive value growth. However, this will be difficult given the weak state of the French economy it its low consumer confidence.
What are the key drivers behind recent market changes?
Consumers' uptake of products and the influence of consumer trends are fundamental causes of change in markets - making knowing what these trends are and the extent of their influence crucial.The survey-based data provided in this report examines over 20 consumer trends that affect the market and examines the share of sales across 26 consumer groups - providing through the data a detailed insight into exactly who the consumer is and just how much impact the latest consumer trends are having.
What makes this report unique and essential to read?
The data provided is unique in the market as it tracks consumer behavior through to its actual value impact on a product market. This provides readers with a unique data analysis of the market allowing marketing tactics and strategy to be updated in line with the very latest consumer behaviors.
- Consumer survey data for the following specific categories: the Ambient Meat, Cooked Meats - Counter, Cooked Meats - Packaged, Fresh Meat (Counter), Frozen Meat, Raw Packaged Meat - processed and Raw Packaged Meat - whole cuts markets.
- Detailed consumer segmentation based on survey data covering over 26 consumer groups, 20 consumer trends and consumption frequency for each product category.
- Volume shares in 2011 for brands and private label sales tracked by the survey.
- Unique retailer choice and switching data as tracked by the survey are provided at the product category level for 2011.
Reasons To Buy
- Unique proprietary data that sizes and segments consumers, tracks their behavior and shows the impact of this on their markets
- Results also cover over 20 consumer trends, showing exactly to what extent these trends have a direct influence on a market. As this impact assessment is based not only on how many consumers act on these trends, but also how often they act on this it provides unique insight into the "size of the prize" when targeting these consumer trends in each category covered.
- Older Consumers have the largest share of the Meat market by value, 29%. This is equal to their share of the population. Since no age group consumers disproportionately to its size, it's important that marketers develop differentiated products aimed at difference age groups.
- A significant "attitude-behavior" gap exists between the share of consumers citing that a trend affects their consumption and the actual share of the market value these trends influence. This is because consumers don't always act on these trends - the result is that overall trend influence is limited, but has the potential to grow. This gap is largest in the Ambient Meats and Cooked Meats - Counter categories.
- Private label penetration ranges from 27% in the Ambient Meats category to 48% in Fresh Meat (counter). While significant, this penetration isn't as high as markets such as the UK, indicating that retailers may expect to be able to grow their share of the market further.