Why was the report written?
Marketers in the Soup market in the US face a major challenge. Understanding market size and segmentation is valuable, but the keys to effective targeting are to know just how valuable specific consumer groups are, and to be able to quantify the impact of consumer trends.This report solves these problems by providing integrated survey-based data on consumer trends, consumer groups and market data which show exactly the size of consumer groups, how much of the Soup market they account for and which consumer trends drive their behavior.
What is the current market landscape and what is changing?
As consumer confidence increases proportionally to economic recovery, consumer trends will be directly affected. Since the global financial crisis of 2008-2009, the retail market has been characterized by an increased amount of discount and own-brand products. Higher market volumes in future would depend upon effective marketing campaigns aimed at increasing consumption frequency in Medium and Heavy frequency ranges.
What are the key drivers behind recent market changes?
Consumers' uptake of products and the influence of consumer trends are fundamental causes of change in markets - making knowing what these trends are and the extent of their influence crucial.The survey-based data provided in this report examines over 20 consumer trends that affect the market and examines the share of sales across 26 consumer groups - providing through the data a detailed insight into exactly who the consumer is and just how much impact the latest consumer trends are having.
What makes this report unique and essential to read?
The data provided is unique in the market as it tracks consumer behavior through to its actual value impact on a product market. This provides readers with a unique data analysis of the market allowing marketing tactics and strategy to be updated in line with the very latest consumer behaviors.
- Consumer survey data for the following specific categories: Canned/Ambient Soup, Chilled Soup, Dried Soup (mixes), Frozen Soup and UHT Soup.
- Detailed consumer segmentation based on survey data covering over 26 consumer groups, 20 consumer trends and consumption frequency for each product category.
- Volume shares in 2011 for brands and private label sales tracked by the survey.
- Unique retailer choice and switching data as tracked by the survey are provided at the product category level for 2011.
Reasons To Buy
- Unique proprietary data that sizes and segments consumers, tracks their behavior and shows the impact of this on their markets
- Results also cover over 20 consumer trends, showing exactly to what extent these trends have a direct influence on a market. As this impact assessment is based not only on how many consumers act on these trends, but also how often they act on this it provides unique insight into the "size of the prize" when targeting these consumer trends in each category covered.
- Canned/Ambient Soup dominates the Soup market in the US with a value share of more than three-quarters. Any campaigns to increase consumption rates or appeal to new consumers will have the largest affect in this category. This category will also be most attractive to new entrants.
- Not only do a large proportion of US consumers, in certain categories at least, highlight that specific consumer trends have an influence on their consumption, this translates into a significant proportion of actual value being directly influenced as well. Consumers are therefore acting on these trends enough to ensure that targeting them, in the right categories, is essential to success.
- Private label share in the Soup market in the US is the highest in the Chilled Soup category at just over 10% by volume. The Private Label market in the US is not yet well established, however national brands in the Chilled Soup category should act now to prevent further loss to Private Label versions before they become a serious threat.