Cereal products are characterized by their health and nutrition benefits. Changing consumer needs, cultural influences, and the rising quest for quick, convenient products present a number of potential opportunities for innovation in this industry.
Innovation in cereal products continues to evolve in line with changing consumer needs. This report outlines important consumer and product trends impacting this category globally, based on Datamonitor's TrendSights mega-trend framework to classify the key themes. Breakfast cereals and cereal bars are covered to provide a complete picture of the trends driving innovation in this category.
FEATURES AND BENEFITS
- Consumer insight and analysis drawing on responses from Datamonitor's global Consumer Survey of over 25,000 respondents.
- Numerous product examples throughout the brief showcase best-in-class innovations in cereal products from across the globe.
- Key considerations and potential opportunities have been identified based on consumer preferences and recent product innovations in this category.
- Health and nutrition is top priority for consumers, and appetite satiety highly influences product choice. Protein and slow-energy-burning foods have significant potential. Whole grain and multi-grain claims are becoming popular in hot cereals.
- With breakfast culture shifting from at-home to out-of-home consumption (e.g. at work, while commuting), and ease and convenience not far behind health and nutrition among consumers' breakfast priorities, it is imperative that cereal brands focus on convenience - in terms of preparation, portability, and consumption.
- Keywords: breakfast, cereal, morning, meal, muesli, flakes, health, nutrition, wholesome, natural, private label, snack bar, bowl.
YOUR KEY QUESTIONS ANSWERED
- How do Datamonitor's mega-trends apply specifically to cereal products?
- Where is innovation occurring in cereal products and what does it look like?
- Going forward, what are some of the potential opportunities and key considerations for cereal product manufacturers?