Key opinion leaders (KOLs) play a vital role in the effective development and
marketing of drugs and medical devices.
However, restrictions are increasingly being imposed on the ways in which
Medical Science Liaisons (MSLs) and sales reps can access and engage with
physicians. Pharma must ensure that all its interactions with KOLs are focused
on science and compliant with the various regulations, including the upcoming
In this more restricted environment, it's more important than ever to build
productive, mutually beneficial relationships with KOLs. How can you enhance
your KOL programme and ensure that KOLs value their interactions with your
‘Engaging KOLs: new thinking on thought leader development’ presents Industry
Best Practices for managing KOLs - exploring ways to clarify and measure the
role of Medical Science Liaisons (MSLs), and examining different approaches to
managing the sensitive relationship between Medical Affairs and Sales. Other
practical insights include candid feedback from KOLs on their ideal
interactions with pharma, and the use of KOL Management software to facilitate
This exclusive FirstWord Dossier report draws on interviews with more than 30
KOLs, and features perspectives from 9 industry experts!
Key Report Features
- Interviews with nine industry experts that reveal the industry's current
best practices for KOL recruitment and engagement
- Analysis of which departments within pharma companies should be
responsible for KOL list building and recruitment
- Discussion of the different roles played by sales and medical affairs and
how to remain compliant while enabling good internal communication
- Discussion of the impact of the PPSA on pharma's relationships, and what
companies can do to mitigate its negative effects
- Discussion and analysis of the metrics being used by pharma to measure the
activities of MSLs
- Analysis of the key features that make KOL management software offerings
attractive to their end users
- Insights into why and how KOLs want to work with pharma, and into pharma
practices that may cause KOL attrition
- Get up to speed with the pharma industry's current best practices for KOL
- Learn which departments within pharma companies are currently responsible
for KOL list building and recruitment
- Find out about the different roles played by sales and medical affairs and
how to remain compliant and productive
- Understand the impact of the PPSA on pharma's relationships, and what
companies can do to mitigate its negative impacts
- Receive ideas for tangible ways to measure the activities of MSLs
- Review the key features that make KOL management software offerings
attractive to their end users
Key Questions Answered
- Which departments within pharmaceutical companies are involved in the
recruitment of KOLs and the subsequent engagement with them?
- Which KOLs does the pharma industry target and when in the development
- How do sales and MSLs differ in the way that they engage with KOLs, and
how can you ensure compliance?
- What metrics are used by the industry to measure the success of MSL
- How do KOLs want to be engaged with by the industry?
- What impact will the introduction of the PPSA have on the way that the
industry engages with KOLs, and how does it impact KOLs' attitudes to these
Expert Views Include:
- Dr William Lambert, MSL, Novo Nordisk
- Dr Gerri Lee, director of MSLs, Genentech
- Dr Patrick Malenfant, MSL, Novo Nordisk
- Kevin Appareti, global director of Medical Science Liaison, Philips
- Dr. Jennifer Bradford, MSL, Genentech
- Dr. Samuel Dyer, CEO and founder, MSL WORLD
- Debra Kientop, oncology liaison director, Quintiles
- Dr. Brandt Newcomer, MSL, AndroScience
- Dr. Leon Rozen, principal of Leadership Success Australia (formerly
director of MSLs at Bristol-Myers Squibb UK)
About Doctor's Guide Publishing Limited (FirstWord Pharma)
Published daily, FirstWord is a personalisable business intelligence resource
designed for the busy pharmaceutical professional - like you. This time-saving
tool keeps you abreast of developments affecting the pharmaceutical industry,
as covered by leading international news publications.
Table of Contents
- Executive summary
- An introduction to KOL engagement
- Current challenges in KOL engagement
- Access challenges
- Potential impact of the Physician Payments Sunshine Act in the US
- Recruitment of KOLs
- Which KOLs to target and when?
- KOLs no longer just medics
- Which departments in the company should be involved?
- The role of MSLs in the engagement of KOLs
- How do sales and MSLs differ in their engagement with KOLs?
- Where should the firewall between sales and medical affairs be placed?
- Metrics measuring MSL/KOL engagement
- Recording KOL/MSL engagement
- KOL management software vendors
- How do KOLs want to be managed by the industry?
- Keep medical affairs staff turnover to a minimum
- KOLs want earlier involvement in the drug-development process
- KOLs are open to the use of digital technologies for interaction with
- KOLs value industry staff who understand the disease area as well as the
- KOLs want to maintain their independence
Engaging KOLs: new thinking on thought leader development published by Doctor's Guide Publishing Limited (FirstWord Pharma) in March 1, 2012. This report consists of 58 Pages and the price starts from US $ 2975.