In their search for alternative delivery methods that will enhance compliance
and improve safety, drug developers and researchers are discovering that the
permeability of mucous membranes provides a convenient route for the systemic
delivery of new and existing therapeutic drugs. Transmucosal delivery offers
the potential for once daily dosing of oral drugs and avoids the effects of
first pass metabolism. On the provider side, the development of alternative
methods of drug administration has improved the ability of physicians to
manage specific problems. Practitioners now recognize the rapid onset,
relative reliability, and the general lack of patient discomfort when drugs
are administered by the transmucosal route. Growth in this sector will be
driven by the pressure to extend market protection for numerous existing drugs
with soon-to-expire patents.
- Analyzes and evaluates oral transmucosal drug delivery technology
platforms and their impact on the market
- Analyzes oral transmucosal drug products and pipeline product candidates
- Provides assessments of key oral transmucosal drug therapeutic categories
- Provides market data and forecasts to 2018
- Profiles market participants, their product development activities and
What You Will Learn
- What are the key segments and patient demographics that comprise the
market for oral transmucosal drug delivery?
- What are the major therapeutic demand drivers for transmucosal drug
- What are the design factors and technologies that are being used in
commercial and development-stage transmucosal products?
- What is the market share and product position in the market and what will
it look like in 2018?
- Who are the companies behind the current generation of transmucosal drugs
and what are their business models?
- What is the role of pharma-device alliances and design partnerships in the
commercialization and market access of new and emerging transmucosal products?
- What is the impact of economic, technology, and regulatory factors?