“There seems to be a stronger case for the use of NFC for mobile
payments in the emerging markets, whereas the focus initially in the developed
world will be more on using NFC for mobile ticketing and transport
applications.” Shailendra Pandey, Senior Analyst, Informa
Telecoms & Media
After almost flat-lining over a year ago, the mobile NFC sector has been
re-energized by a flurry of announcements. Mobile operators in several
countries have ganged up in NFC alliances and joint ventures; handset vendors
have announced bold NFC handset rollout plans.
There has been a revival in enthusiasm for mobile NFC with a number of
operators announcing plans to launch services in 2011. These mobile operators
are eager to seize the initiative before OTT players, such as Google and
Apple, jump ahead and capture the market for themselves. However, it is
important to remember that the numerous barriers that have held back the
mobile NFC market until now largely still remain in place. Therefore, the
success of those operators keen on becoming mobile NFC market leaders will
depend on how well they are able to tackle and remove the market barriers by
partnering with other value chain players.
This report analyses the prospects for the growth of mobile NFC services,
examining the economic, technological and strategic drivers, and constraints
to overall market development. It evaluates the various user case and business
opportunities presented by mobile NFC services for mobile operators, OEMs,
PSPs, and technology and platform vendors, both in the developed and emerging
- An in-depth assessment and analysis of the current mobile NFC Market,
focusing specifically on the use of NFC in mobile phones.
- Key economic, technological and strategic drivers and barriers to mobile
NFC market growth.
- The likely impact of recent NFC announcements by the operators and the
strategies of handset vendors, including Google, Apple, Nokia and RIM.
- Detailed profiling of the mobile NFC ecosystem, value-chain players and
the opportunities and challenges for these stakeholders. Plus, the
relationships these players have now and how these relationships might change
over the coming years.
- Market segmentation of the mobile NFC market including service and
applications type: payments, transport and ticketing, couponing, access
controls, managing identity and tagging, sharing and pairing with other
- Analysis of the various possible mobile NFC business models for operators,
OEMs, PSPs, and technology and infrastructure vendors.
- Global and regional forecasts to 2015 for mobile NFC users, usage,
transaction value and for NFC handset shipments.
- NFC Handset Shipments by Region, 2010-15
- NFC Handset Installed Base by Region, 2010-15
- Mobile NFC Users by Region, 2010-15
- Mobile NFC Transactions by Region, 2010-15
- Mobile NFC Transactions by Type, 2010-15
- Mobile NFC Transaction Value by Region, 2010-15
Key issues addressed in this edition
- Expected trends that will have an impact on NFC market growth over the
next five years.
- What are the opportunities and challenges for the various mobile NFC
value-chain players, including the operators, handset vendors, PSPs,
technology and platform vendors?
- What are the security compliance and risk management issues that need to
- How can potential disagreements between the stakeholders over the
technical implementation of SE (secure element) be resolved?
- What are the various possible mobile NFC business models, pricing
strategies, and what revenues can be expected for the different value-chain