Digital technology behind the smart city
Smart cities, and the digital technology behind them, hold much promise and
offer interesting opportunities for new markets, services and practices to the
cities' stakeholders. Using a broad range of digital project models of various
scales and exploring the different themes surrounding smart cities, this
report looks at the issues facing urban centers that are increasingly seen as
areas of open innovation.
Report key questions
- Beyond trends, what role does digital technology actually perform
in the changing strategies of cities?
- How do the three key interconnected tiers of physical architecture,
information systems and applications fit together?
- How should information systems evolve to meet the dual challenge of
achieving better interoperability and dealing with increasing
volumes of data?
- How will the various functions of the digital city be taken into
account: governance, the environment, mobility, the economy and quality of
- How will this new market be structured around the key stakeholders:
equipment manufacturers, IT & IT services, telco operators, utility providers?