The World Health Organization has identified a group of diseases that are the
world' s most pressing health problems. This represents an opportunity for test
manufacturers, particularly in POC testing. Because of their ability to
deliver fast results at the point of care, rapid testing is a focus area of
healthcare providers and payors in infectious disease prevention. Kalorama
Information has been reporting on the rapid test area for several years and
has identified the segments with the fastest growth, and infectious disease
has surfaced as one of those segments.
This report, Point of Care Diagnostics for Emerging Infectious Disease Threats
(Market Analysis and Technical Considerations), examines this POC segment with
a focus on new threats for which there are markets in the developing world and
in developed countries.
A Unique Approach: Market and Technical Analysis
Tests can only be marketed if they can be manufactured and if they can
function in the healthcare environment. Thus, this report also discusses the
technical choices, possibilities and limitations to today' s POC tests
especially when they are used in the developing world. Reagent issues, testing
on strips, instrumented and non-instrumented tests are coved in this report.
These factors will impact what tests will reach the market and how they will
An Opportunity For Test Makers
Infectious disease is a broad category, and in some disease areas, diagnostic
companies already own market share. Increasingly hospitals and clinics are
seeing new infectious disease threats and tests are being developed to assist
them. Within the infectious disease testing market, this report details the
opportunities that could be found when diseases of the developing world enter
the healthcare system of the developed. This report provides market
projections for point of care diagnostics in the developed and developing
world for the following infectious diseases:
- Chagas Disease, Rapid Test Market Forecast to 2015
- Chikungunya, Rapid Test Market Forecast to 2015
- Dengue Fever, Rapid Test Market Forecast to 2015
- HIV, Rapid Test Market Current Size and Forecast to 2015
- HPV, Rapid Test Market Current Size and Forecast to 2015
- Leishmaniasis, Rapid Test Market Forecast to 2015
- Onchocerciasis (River Blindness), Rapid Test Market Forecast to 2015
- STDs, Rapid Test Market Current Size and Forecast to 2015
- Tuberculosis, Rapid Test Market Forecast to 2015
In addition the report also provides:
- The Overall Point of Care Diagnostics Market Statistics
- Economics of Financial and International Programs
- Company Profiles of Leaders in the POC Infectious Disease Market
- Key Players in the Infectious Disease Rapid Test Market
- Developed and Developing World Opportunities
- Test Volumes in Developing Countries
- Review of Test Products Currently on the Market
- Climate, Water Use and Sample Prep Considerations
- EMR and Connectivity Issues
- Tests in Development
- The Role of Drug Resistance
- Disease Statistics
- POC and Infrastructure Needs
- Comparison of Test Modalities and Sample Collection Methods
Two Industry Experts Provide Unique Insights
Shara Rosen is Kalorama Information' s lead diagnostic industry analyst. She is
the author of seven best-selling editions of The Worldwide Market for In Vitro
Diagnostics, as well as scores of other titles on segments of the IVD Industry.
Brendan O' Farrell is the President of Diagnostic Consulting Network
, a provider of OEM services to developers and manufacturers of
rapid assays. Key services include contract rapid assay system development,
custom reagent development, industry education and training and consulting
services. Among the topics these experts discuss is the number of competitors
who have been successful with efforts in developing countries.
The following companies are discussed in this report:
- Abbott Diagnostics Access Bio, Inc.
- Acon Laboratories, Inc./Innovacon
- Akers Biosciences, Inc.
- Akonni Biosystems Inc.
- American Bionostica, Inc.
- AT First Diagnostic LLC
- Beckman Coulter Inc. Becton Dickinson
- Bhat Bio-tech India (p) Ltd.
- Biocan Diagnostics Inc.
- bioLytical Laboratories
- Biomagnetics Diagnostics Corp.
- BioVei Incorporated
- Burnet Institute
- California Institute of Technology (Caltech)
- CapitalBio Corporation
- Catalysis Foundation for Health
- Cellestis Ltd
- Chembio Diagnostic Systems, Inc.
- Clearbridge BioLoc
- Clinoteck Diagnostics
- Core Diagnostics
- CTK Biotech Inc.
- Diagnostics for All (DFA)
- Diagnostics for the Real World (DRW)
- DNA Medicine Institute (DMI)
- Eiken Chemical Co., Ltd.
- Enigma Diagnostics Limited
- Epistem Plc
- FK Biotecnologia
- Guardian Technologies International
- Hain Lifescience GmbH
- Hema Diagnostic Systems (HDS)
- i+MED Laboratories Company Limited
- InBios International, Inc.
- Ionian Technologies, Inc.
- IQuum Inc.
- Jal Innovation (S) Pte
- Lifeassay Diagnostics (Pty) Ltd
- Linnodee Ltd.
- LumiQuick Diagnostics, Inc.
- J. Mitra & Co. Pvt Ltd
- MP Biomedicals
- MedMira Inc.
- Micronics, Inc.
- Millennium Biotechnology, Inc. (MBI)
- Omega Diagnostics Group PLC
- Partec GmbH
- PointCare Technologies, Inc.
- QBC Diagnostics, Inc.
- QuantuMDx Group
- Premier Medical Corporation Limited
- Princeton BioMeditech Corporation
- Seventh Sense Biosystems, Inc.
- Signature Mapping Medical Sciences, Inc.
- Span Diagnostics Ltd.
- Standard Diagnostics, Inc.
- Tulip Group
- Veredus Laboratories Pte
- WAMA Diagnostica
- Zyomyx Inc.