4G Latin America: Analysis and Forecast 2012 - 2017 analyzes key trends
for Latin American development and deployment of LTE networks from both the
regulatory and service provider's standpoint. The report gives a detailed
analysis of the status of 3G and 4G (WiMAX / LTE) in the region and the
challenges and opportunities for TD-LTE and FDD-LTE deployment for operators
of all sizes.
This report explains the regulatory environment in the key economies of the
region which contribute 80% of mobile service revenues - notably Argentina,
Brazil, Chile, Mexico and Colombia. It also analyzes current and future 4G
spectrum usage and allocation and the major spectrum challenges that both
regulatory bodies and operators are facing today.
This report also includes projections for deployments, subscribers, equipment
and CAPEX for 2012- 2017.
The business cases of five operators - selected as being early 4G entrants in
the region - are analyzed in this report. Some already have commercial LTE
operations in place. A key element of the report is a series of interviews
with these key operators, which have shared with us their deployment strategy,
business model, equipment selections, current and future challenges and
expectations. Each of these operators is representative of a different
business model within the region, and each is located in a different market:
- 1) Axtel (Mexico) - The largest mobile WiMAX operator in Latin
America today. The operator
- might become among the first to implement TD-LTE in 3.5GHz.
- 2) UNE (Colombia) - First commercial LTE deployment in Colombia and
first in Latin America to
- deploy FDD-LTE in the 2.6GHz band. UNE also has a fixed WiMAX network in
- 3) Movilmax (Venezuela) - Greenfield operator in Venezuela,
currently deploying mobile WiMAX
- in 2.6GHz, planning to have a network overlay with TD-LTE.
- 4) Open Mobile (Puerto Rico) - 4th largest mobile carrier in Puerto
Rico, and first to commercially
- launch LTE in the 700MHz band.
- 5) Entel (Chile) - Largest mobile operator in Chile, planning to
deploy FDD LTE in the 2.6GHz and
- TD-LTE in the 3.5GHz band. Entel is waiting for the upcoming spectrum
auction of 2.6GHz.