Print or digital format. Also sold by individual chapters.
Simply the most comprehensive business analysis that exists of the
self-improvement market. The market was affected by the recession as well as
negative publicity from a few scandals (James Ray seat lodge deaths,
bankruptcies, etc.). But, the business held up well, boosted by auidobooks
live streaming, and other sectors). This Marketdata study examines the $10.4
billion market for motivational "self-improvement" programs and products that
seek to improve us physically, mentally, financially or spiritually. Discusses
the market for: books, CDs/DVDs, audiobooks, infomercials, motivational
speakers, multi-media packages, public seminars, workshops, retreats,
webinars, holistic institutes, personal coaching, online education, websites,
training organizations and more. Nature of the business and outlooks for each
market segment. Major topic categories covered: weight loss/exercise,
business/sales skills, business opportunities/investing, improving
relationships, general motivational, and stress management.
The study analyzes market segments/structure, the New Age movement, $
size/growth (2003-2016 forecast), effects of the recession, shift to Internet
delivery of content, customer demographics, in-depth profiles of 40 top
motivational speakers (Tony Robbins, Deepak Chopra, Phil McGraw, Dr. Laura,
Brian Tracy, Franklin-Covey, Suze Orman, Tom Hopkins, Robert Kiyosaki, Zig
Ziglar, many others), top 100 infomercials for 2007-2011, 2012 status reports
of the U.S. weight loss market and the stress management market, and more.
NEW first - time data on revenues/profits of public seminar companies.
Interviews with market leaders.
Contains a 110-page chapter profiling the activities/specialties/speaking
fees/2011 revenues of 40 top speakers/gurus, with a ranking of the top 101.
56 in-depth competitor profiles: Gaiam, Nightingale-Conant, Hay House, Peak
Potentials, Landmark Education, Skillpath, National Seminars group, Fred
Pryor/Career-Track, Get Motivated seminars, Selfgrowth.com, Success Magazine,
Beliefnet.com,Toastmasters, Dale Carnegie Associates, Franklin-Covey, others.
Results of latest surveys from: The Audio Publishers Assn., Publishers Weekly,
Intl. Coach Federation, Electronic Retailing Assn., Response Magazine, more.
Table of Contents
Introduction: Study Scope & Methodology
- Explanation of where the information came from: "primary" & "secondary"
sources: methodology, definition of the self-improvement market, scope of the
Executive Overview of Major Findings ($300)
- Highlights of ALL chapters--Discussion of market nature & definition,
characteristics, major developments of past 2 years, avg. customer profile,
why demand exists for programs.
- Findings/transcripts of interviews with market movers & shakers at:
selfgrowth.com (David Riklan), Steve Salerno (author of book "Sham"),
Personalgrowth.com, Success magazine effects of the recession, technology
- Negative PR/scandals: James Ray sweat lodge deaths, R. Kiyosaki
bankruptcy, demise of Peter Lowe's get Motivated seminars, Suze Orman critics,
- Marketdata forecast for the next big thing: explosion of SI content via
Internet entrepreneurs discussion
- Market Size & Growth, Segments: Table & Discussion of total market size,
growth, outlook (2003, 2005, 2007, 2009, 2011-12, 2016 forecasts), estd. $
size of major segments BY DISTRIBUTION CHANNEL: Infomercials, mail order
catalogs, motivational speaker seminars, holistic institutes, self-improvement
books & audiobooks, personal coaching
- Individual Market Segment Outlooks: discussion of mkt.
size/growth/characteristics/trends for: 1. Infomercials (2011-2012 sales by
topic, qtrly. media billings), 2. Motivational speakers mkt., 3. Personal
coaching market, 4. Holistic institutes mkt., 5. self-improvement books mkt.
6. Audiobooks mkt., 7. Online education courses, 8. Seminars, 9. Websites, 10.
Weight loss mkt., 11. Stress mgmt. mkt.
- Status report of the U.S. Weight Loss Industry ($ size 2002-2014F, by 10
mkt. segments, trends, dieter demographics/number, mkt. nature, major mkt.
- Status report of the Stress Management Programs/Services Market (2011 $
size, segments, major trends
The Motivational Speakers Market ($450)
- Discussion of number of professional speakers in the U.S., avg. earnings,
estim. 2005, 2007, 2009, 2011 income for the top 10 gurus (table) - from
speaking engagements, books, consulting, training, list of top speakers'
bureaus, how speakers operate
- Recent market trends: live events, shift in product mix to webinars/online
courses, recession effect
- Overview/size of corporate training market
- Speaking fees by person: top 10 - table (2003, 2006, 2008, 2011)
- List/ranking of top 101 self-improvement experts, compiled by
Self-Improvement Online, Inc.
- New up and coming speakers, profiles of: Brendon Burchard, Pete
Bissonnette, Robert Ringer, Michael Masterson, Bill Harris, Vic Johnson)
- In-depth profiles of top self-improvement "gurus"/celebrities
(living and past) - descriptions of their organizations, biographies, 2011
revenue estimates/actual when available, products/services offered, books
authored, speaking fees, consulting, specialties, headquarters address,
...Anthony Robbins, Jack Canfield, Mark Victor Hansen, Deepak Chopra, Suze
Orman, Franklin Covey Co. (Stephen Covey), Marianne Williamson, Brendon
Burchard, Pete Bissopnette, Zig Ziglar, Brian Tracy, Dr. Phil McGraw, Dr.
Laura Schlessinger, Kevin Trudeau, Sylvia Browne, Dale Carnegie, Wayne Dyer,
Robert Kiyosaki, Robert Allen, John Gray, Iyanla Vanzant, Les Brown, Louise
Hay, Og Mandino, Ken Blanchard, L. Ron Hubbard, Napoleon Hill, Tom Hopkins,
Leo Buscaglia, Jim Rohn, Spencer Johnson, Barbara DeAngelis, Earl Nightingale,
The Personal Coaching Market ($200)
- Definition & summary of the market, number of active coaches in U.S.,
worldwide, coaching specialties, differences between coaching and consulting,
corporate vs. personal coaching, the most common myths about coaching, phone
coaching, effects of the recession
- Status report of the market, how affected by recession, topics in demand
- The market's major trade group and periodicals (address list)
- Average/typical annual earnings, fees, no. of clients, outlook, extensive
- Market $ size and projected growth, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2016F -
- Profiles of 6 top coaches: Bernie Siegel, Colleen Bracken, Diane Brennan,
Pat Mathews, Pat Boney, Kay Cannon
- List of major coaching periodicals.
The Direct Response Market: Infomercials ($350)
- Discussion & analysis of infomercials as a sales/advertising medium,
reasons for growth in popularity and doubling since 1996, emerging trends,
mkt. size, 2012 status report, $ media billings by topic, by quarter, why
infomercials are popular, effects of recession on sales
- Demographic profile of infomercial buyers from: Electronic
Retailing Assn. (by sex, age, income, why they buy, how much, how often, top
motivating factors, DRTV demographics
- Tables: 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011 and 1st half 2012 media billings , by topic
- Table: estim. $ mkt. size (retail sales) 2011-2012, by major categories
(exercise equipment, diet plans, business/financial, general motivational) -
- List of top 100 long and short-form infomercials of 2011, 2009, 2007, top
100 (Jordan Whitney) - show name, products, distributor
- 2012-2016 Marketdata growth forecast , historical share of total
info. Sales by self-improvement programs
- List of top infomercial producers.
- List of leading infomercials of past decade (producer, $ sales, etc.)
- In-depth descriptions of sample infomercials (1996-2003) (product/service
advertised, price/ordering details, phone/address, producer),
- List, brief descriptions of other infomercials (not viewed) for: weight
loss, relationships, general motivational, business opportunities.
The Self-Improvement Books Market and New Age Bookstores ($300)
- Status of book buying in 2011 vs. 2009, $ sales by major category
(Publishers Weekly annual report, diet book bestsellers of 2011 - lack of
- The Secret - A Movie and book phenomenon that boosted the market,
estim. sales, persons made famous, Oprah Winfrey's role.
- List of self-improve. books in 2011, 2009, 2007 (units sold, $ sales,
- Summary of "new age" bookstores mkt .: chains vs. independents,
how many in the nation, products sold, growth, customers, specialties. estd.
sales, share of sales by major topics, 2011
- Marketdata and Simba Information $ estimates of size of self-improvement
books mkt., 2003, 2005, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2016 forecasts , the major
book distribution channels.
- Discussion/analysis of the diet books market, buyer demographics,
what makes a bestseller, $ mkt. value, list of best-selling diet books since
The Self-Improvement Audiobooks Market ($250)
- Market status and growth (2011-2016 forecasts), strong unit sales growth
in 2010 & 2011, buyer demographics, popularity rank for 14 topics, where
audiobooks are purchased, egments, total audiobook sales vs. share for SI
audiobooks, major competitors.
- Latest APA consumer survey results on market growth, audiobook
formats, sales trends, comparisons to 2008 survey.
- Latest audiobook user surveys by Consumer Electronics Assn., APA, etc.
(frequency of use, no. bought, where listened to, etc.) - why Marketdata
estimates differ from APA's
- Self-improvement audiobooks mkt. size vs. total spoken audio mkt.
- Leading publishers address list (address, phone, key titles published):
Harper Audio, Simon & Schuster, New Star, Nightingale-Conant, Random House,
TIME Warner, etc.)
- Company profiles: Nightingale-Conant, Audible.com
The Major Self-Improvement Websites ($150)
- Discussion/summary of self-improvement websites why most are not successful
- Discussion of increasing role of the Internet in producing SI content,
- Traffic rankings: December 2012 Alexa, Compete traffic ranks and estimated
daily visitors for top 25 sites Competitor profiles: Selfgrowth.com,
Consciousone.com, TSTN.com, success.com, Beliefnet.com Successuniversity.com,
Thirdage.com. (Headquarters, site description & specialties)
The Online Education Market ($50)
- Nature of the business, why booming during recession, no. of students
enrolled, gov't. actions
- Estimated $ size of the market, enrollments for 2011, still growing
- Diploma mills and fake degrees - a major problem plaguing the industry,
- How mills operate, findings of Babson Survey Research survey
- Mkt. segments: hybrid programs, MBA programs
- List of the major online education universities
Holistic Institutes & Training Organizations ($300)
(Self-improvement workshops, seminars, courses, retreats, training
- Discussion of overall market status and 16 U.S. centers' philosophies,
course offerings and avg. prices, enrollments, growth since 1960s,
nonprofit/for-profit status, specializations, estd. and actual 2011
revenues/budgets, workshop topics in demand, mkt. size and 2016 forecasts.
- Status of the market in 2009, enrollments, effect of the recession, trends
- Table: Estim. revenues in 2005, 2007, 2009, 2011 for top institutes,
- Address List of top centers in the U.S., directors' names, 2011 attendance
- Descriptive profiles and background, sample courses, no. attendees, for
leading facilities: (Omega Institute, Esalen Institute, New York Open Center,
Oasis Center, Naropa, Option Institute, Wainwright House - financial
- Dale Carnegie Training - profile, revenues
- Toastmasters International - profile, revenues
- Gaiam Inc. - profile, financials 2007-2012
- Hay House - profile, estd. revenues.
The Public Seminars Market ($250)
- Discussion/analysis of large group vs. small group seminars, difference in
cost structure, profitability, fees, individual speakers doing public
seminars, mkt. size and status report, why this is a difficult model to make
profitable, estd. mkt. size., IRS Form 990 2010-2011 actual
revenues/expenses/profits statements) - First time data
- Company Profile: Fred Pryor/CareerTrack (Park University)
- Company Profile: Learning Strategies Corp.
- Company Profile: Skillpath Seminars (Graceland Univ.)
- Company Profile: National Seminars Group (Rockhurst Univ.)
- Company Profile: Peter Lowe Intl. (Get Motivated) seminars - past
history/business model, Bankruptcy, management issues, new owners, etc.
- Company Profile: Landmark Education
- Company Profile: Peak Potentials, T. Harv Eker.
Status Report of The U.S. Weight Loss Market ($250)
- Summary/status of the industry in 2011-12 recent and emerging trends,
Marketdata forecasts, advertising trends, discounting, do-it-yourself trend
- 2011-12 Performance of leading commercial, medical, online chains
(Medifast, NutriSystem, eDiets, Jenny Craig, Weight Watchers - public
- Discussion of major industry trends, major mkt. developments.
- Reasons why America is growing fatter, cycles & nature of U.S. weight loss
- 2011 performance of : commercial programs, meal replacements,
- Table: Marketdata estimates of the 10 major segments of the diet
industry, $ values (2006 to 2011) - (diet soft drinks, artificial sweeteners,
health clubs, commercial programs, medical programs, diet drugs, surgeries,
fasting plans, low-cal foods, retail meal replacements and diet pills, diet
- Table: Comparative growth rate for all diet mkt. segments
- Tables: Revenues of commercial diet centers, market share of top chains
Status Report of The Stress Management Market ($250)
- Summary: societal stress levels rising, the major types of stress
disorders, list of types of professionals and organizations providing stress
mgmt. services, emerging trends, treatment methods, mkt. structure &
characteristics, current outlook by American Institute of Stress, results of:
2011 APA/Harris Interactive Survey, 2010 Annual Attitudes in the Workplace
- Major characteristics defining stress management market
- Discussion/analysis of major provider groups : (no. of
practitioners, mkt. potential, fees)
- Biofeedback therapists and centers
- Massage therapists
- Worksite-based programs
- Hospital-based programs
- Health club-based programs
- Programs offered via seminars and workshops
- Discussion of biofeedback centers & therapists, BCIA trade group
- Discussion of massage therapy
- Discussion of hospital-based stress mgmt. programs
- Discussion of health club-based stress mgmt. programs
- The mail order & retail products mkt. (books, biofeedback cards, videos,
- The market for stress mgmt. books & audiocassettes
- Total $ value of market in 2011 , by type provider group -
Marketdata estimates, 2011, 2016 F
- Profiles of some leading organizations: American Institute of Stress, ESSI
Systems, Institute of Stress Medicine, Midwest Center for Stress & Anxiety,
Mind/Body Medical Institute, Self-Programmed Control Center, Stress Reduction
Program at Univ. of Mass.
Reference Directory of Information Sources
- (Names, addresses, phone, key contacts at relevant trade groups, journals,
periodicals in the field)