This report addresses the progress in the development technologies,
applications and markets that are emerging under the umbrella of the IEEE
802.15 standards family (wireless PAN WG).
Particularly, the following standards were explored:
- 802.15.6: Body Area Networks
- 802.15.4j: Medical Body Area Networks
- 802.15.4e: WPAN Enhancements
- 802.15.4k: Low Energy Critical Infrastructure Monitoring
- 802.15.4g: Smart Utility Networks
- 802.15.7: Visible Light Communications
- 802.15.8: Peer Aware Communications.
Some of these standards are intended to support technologies with very low
power consumption; and power harvesting for sensors/radios is also addressed
in the report. The report also concentrates on related developments in
connection with discussed standards.
This is the second edition of the report, and it reflects changes from
2010-2011 issue - the IEEE 802.15 technologies and markets are developing
The report includes a detail analysis of vendors' portfolios in the related
The report is written for a wide audience of technical and managerial staff
involved in the design and implementation of WPANs.