The smartphone app market is dynamic in a way not seen before in the mobile
world. For over three years research2guidance has been following the changes
in the market, while developing better ways to understand and interpret those
changes. By comparing and evaluating different sources, the “Smartphone
App Market Monitor” seeks to provide the most comprehensive picture of
the app market available.
To keep pace with the latest trends, amend and revise forecasts as well as
inform readers about key topics, this report is updated and extended every
quarter. As the market monitor is designed to support internal discussions and
business decisions, content is presented as much as possible in graphs and
tables to make a key tool for any app publisher, app developer, app store and
platform owner. The 52 pages report contains 25 figures and 18 tables.
In this product package the Smartphone App Market Monitor comes as a PDF
report and all graphs and tables come in an additional PowerPoint slide
package, which allows the content to be easily used in presentations.
Benefits of the Smartphone App Market Monitor:
- Immediate usage: Content is presented in charts and graphs for easy
- Stay updated: Renewed Quarterly.
- One source for: Market share data, users, download numbers, prices,
app stores and much more.
- Growing content base: Research areas are constantly extended.
- High quality: Content is backed up by more than one source to
insure high quality of results.
KEY FACTS SUMMARY FROM Q3 2012:
- xxx million smartphones were shipped in Q3 2012, xxx xxx than in the
- Smartphone's share of total mobile device sales xxx from xxx to xxx.
- In Q3 2012 xxx managed to xxx xxx of the total smartphone market share.
- Nokia xxx form the top xxx smartphone vendors.
- In Q3 2012 the total number of smartphone and tablet applications
published in all stores reached almost xxx marks.
- Android finished Q3 as the xxx among mobile OS, accounting for xxx of all
smartphone sales with a relative xxx of xxx compared to Q2 2012.
- The total number of applications published in the most important stores
(App Store, Google Play, BlackBerry World App, Windows Phone Store and Nokia
Ovi Store) amounted to almost xxx with an xxx of xxx.
- At the end of Q3 2012, Apple's App Store had xxx iPhone/iPad apps and xxx
iPhone native apps, whereas Google Play had xxx.
- The average paid app selling price across all the most important stores
stood at xxx, a xxx of xxx in comparison to the previous quarter.
- Q3 total number of downloads reached xxx, a year-over-year xxx of xxx.
- Revenue accrued from paid app downloads amounted to xxx, a year-over-year
xxx of xxx.
xxx Commercial in Confidence.
FIGURE 2: NUMBER OF APPLICATIONS PUBLISHED IN
MARKETPLACES (2007 - Q3 2012)
Note: (*) The number of apps in the official app stores
by major OSs &OEMs, including tablet apps.
Source: research2guidance, 2012.
FIGURE 3: AVERAGE DISPLAYED PAID APPLICATION PRICE IN OFFICIAL OEM &
OS APPLICATION STORES (Q1 2010 - Q3 2012)
Source: research2guidance, 2012.
research2guidance is a market intelligence and consultancy company
specializing in the mobile apps market.
Table of Contents
2. QUARTERLY UPDATE ON THE SMARTPHONE MARKET
- 2.1. NEW AND NOTEWORTHY: WHAT HAS HAPPENED IN THE MOBILE INDUSTRY?
- 2.2. KEY FACTS SUMMARY FROM Q3 2012
- 2.3. GLOBAL SMARTPHONE MARKET (PENETRATION, MARKET SHARES AND SHIPMENTS)
- 2.4. APP STORE PERFORMANCE BENCHMARKING
- 2.4.1. App store launches (2000 - Q3 2012)
- 2.4.2. Development of app numbers and app store market shares
- 2.4.3. Quarterly app numbers for major application stores
- 2.4.4. Average app prices in major app stores
- 2.4.5. Download volumes monitoring
- 2.4.6. App number changes per category in Apple, Android and BlackBerry
- 2.5. DETAILED APP STORE FACTS AND FIGURES (Q1 2009 - Q3 2012)
- 2.5.1. Overview of leading OEM&OS application stores
- 2.5.2. Overview of leading full catalog independent application stores
- 2.5.3. Overview of MNO application stores
- 2.5.4. Niche app store market overview
- 2.6. SMARTPHONE APPLICATIONS MARKET SIZE
- 2.6.1. User base
- 2.6.2. App downloads
- 2.6.3. App revenue
- 3.1. SPECIAL INTEREST SECTION LIBRARY:
- 3.1.1. Smartphone user demographics:
- 3.1.2. Media tablet market:
- 3.1.3. Mobile retail market:
- 3.1.4. Mobile payment market:
- 3.1.5. App market dynamics 2010-2011:
- 3.1.6. China app market:
- 3.2. ABOUT RESEARCH2GUIDANCE
LIST OF FIGURES
- FIGURE 1: SMARTPHONE SHARE OF GLOBAL MOBILE DEVICE SHIPMENTS
- FIGURE 2: NUMBER OF SMARTPHONES SHIPPED PER PLATFORM
- FIGURE 3: MARKET SHARE SMARTPHONE OPERATING SYSTEMS BY SHIPMENTS
- FIGURE 4: TOP 5 SMARTPHONE VENDORS' MARKET SHARE (Q3 2011 AND Q3 2012)
- FIGURE 5: NUMBER OF SMARTPHONE APPLICATION STORES (2007 - Q3 2012)
- FIGURE 6: APP STORES' LIFE CYCLE (2000 - Q3 2012)
- FIGURE 7: NUMBER OF APPLICATIONS PUBLISHED IN MARKETPLACES (2007 - Q3 2012)
- FIGURE 8: NUMBER OF APPLICATIONS PER PLATFORM (Q4 2008 - Q3 2012)
- FIGURE 9: NUMBER OF APPLICATIONS PER PLATFORM IN SMALLER STORES
- FIGURE 10: NEWLY ADDED APPLICATIONS PER PLATFORM (Q1 2009 - Q3 2012)
- FIGURE 11: NEWLY ADDED APPLICATIONS PER PLATFORM IN SMALLER STORES
- FIGURE 12: AVERAGE DISPLAYED PAID APPLICATION PRICE IN OFFICIAL OEM & OS
APPLICATION STORES (Q1 2010 - Q3 2012)
- FIGURE 13: AVERAGE TOTAL DAILY DOWNLOADS PER APPLICATION STORE (IN
MILLIONS) (Q4 2009 - Q3 2012)
- FIGURE 14: AVERAGE TOTAL DAILY DOWNLOADS IN SMALLER STORES (IN MILLIONS)
- FIGURE 15: AVERAGE DAILY DOWNLOADS PER APP (Q4 2009 - Q3 2012)
- FIGURE 16: APPLICATION STORE SHARE OF TOTAL APPLICATION DOWNLOADS PER
PERIOD (2008 - Q3 2012)
- FIGURE 17: TOP TEN APPLE'S APP STORE CATEGORIES AND CAGR (Q3 2011 AND Q3
- FIGURE 18: TOP TEN GOOGLE PLAY CATEGORIES AND GROWTH (Q3 2011 AND Q3 2012)
- FIGURE 19: TOP TEN BLACKBERRY APP WORLD CATEGORIES AND GROWTH
- FIGURE 20: NICHE APP STORE LAUNCHES BY TYPE (1999 - Q3 2012)
- FIGURE 21: NICHE STORES BY TYPE (Q3 2012)
- FIGURE 22: INSTALLED BASE OF APPLICATION SHOPPERS* (IN MILLIONS) (2007 -
- FIGURE 23: INSTALLED BASE OF APPLICATION USERS BY DEVICE TYPE (Q3 2012)
- FIGURE 24: TOTAL SMARTPHONE APPLICATION DOWNLOADS (IN MILLIONS) (2007 - Q3
- FIGURE 25: PAID SMARTPHONE APPLICATION DOWNLOAD REVENUE (IN MILLION USD)
(2007 - Q3 2012)
LIST OF TABLES
- TABLE 1: NUMBER OF SMARTPHONES (IN MILLIONS) SHIPPED PER PLATFORM
- TABLE 2: SMARTPHONE OPERATING SYSTEMS' MARKET SHARE BY SHIPMENTS (Q1 2009
- Q3 2012)
- TABLE 3: TOP 5 SMARTPHONE VENDORS' SHIPMENTS (UNITS IN MILLIONS)
- TABLE 4: AVERAGE DISPLAYED PAID APPLICATION PRICE (IN US DOLLARS) IN
OFFICIAL OEM &OS APPLICATION STORES (Q3 2009 - Q3 2012)
- TABLE 5: AVERAGE TOTAL DAILY DOWNLOADS PER APPLICATION STORE (IN MILLIONS)
- TABLE 6: AVERAGE DAILY DOWNLOADS PER APP (Q1 2010 - Q3 2012)
- TABLE 7: NUMBER OF APPS PER CATEGORY, NEW ADDS AND GROWTH RATES (APPLE APP
STORE) (Q3 2011 - Q3 2012)
- TABLE 8: NUMBER OF APPS PER CATEGORY, NEW ADDS AND GROWTH RATES (GOOGLE
- TABLE 9: NUMBER OF APPS PER CATEGORY, NEW ADDS AND GROWTH RATES
(BLACKBERRY APP WORLD) (Q3 2011 - Q3 2012)
- TABLE 10: APPLICATION STORES LIST (Q3 2012)
- TABLE 11: KEY FACTS AND FIGURES OF MAJOR OS&OEM APPLICATION STORES (1/3)
- TABLE 12: KEY FACTS AND FIGURES OF MAJOR OS&OEM APPLICATION STORES (2/3)
- TABLE 13: KEY FACTS AND FIGURES OF MAJOR OS&OEM APPLICATION STORES (3/3)
- TABLE 14: KEY FACTS AND FIGURES OF MAJOR INDEPENDENT FULL-CATALOGUE STORES
- TABLE 15: KEY FACTS AND FIGURES OF MAJOR INDEPENDENT FULL-CATALOGUE STORES
- TABLE 16: MNO APPLICATION STORES MONITOR: KEY FACTS AND FIGURES (1/2)
- TABLE 17: MNO APPLICATION STORES MONITOR: KEY FACTS AND FIGURES (2/2)
- TABLE 18: NICHE APP STORES CLASSIFICATION (Q3 2012)
Smartphone App Market Monitor Vol. 9 Historical Data Package published by research2guidance in April 8, 2013. This report consists of 49 Pages and the price starts from US $ 637.
The contents of this page may be different from the latest version. Please contact us for details.