The medical imaging industry is moving into an age where cost effectiveness
and reducing undesirable side effects are important considerations in decision
making. As a result, there has been a dip in the extent of interdisciplinary
translations across imaging modalities. The focus is now on fine tuning
current technology to meet requirements.
Features and benefits
- Identify key developments in instrumentation for the major medical imaging
- Discover the current trends and future directions for converting basic
research into clinically used advances.
- Learn about the limitations of the various imaging modalities and ongoing
developments in instrumentation that will overcome them.
- Compare innovations in various modalities across manufacturers.
- Identify gaps in equipment capabilities waiting to be filled.
Developments in MRI equipment are concentrated on designing stronger magnets
or reducing the cost of achieving higher resolution. Others are attempts to
develop advanced multichannel radio frequency (RF) coils. Innovations in X-ray
imaging are mainly concentrated on the CT scan modality as it has become
indispensible in most hospital settings.
Development of advanced transducers has captured more interest than research
in any other component of the ultrasound machine. Replacement of traditional
lead zirconate titanate (PZT) based transducers with capacitive micromachined
ultrasonic transducers (cMUTs) is among the most popular solutions proposed.
Innovations in PET and SPECT closely follow developments in particle physics.
The majority of the innovations witnessed in recent years are related to the
design of detectors with improved gamma sensing properties. Among the
intrapatient image co-registration modalities, PET/CT and SPECT/CT are the
most commonly used multi-modal imaging techniques.
Your key questions answered
- What are the latest innovations in the instrumentation for major medical
- Where are developments in major imaging modalities heading?
- What are the latest developments in material science that are applicable
in medical imaging?
- What will be the focus of innovations in medical imaging over the next ten
- How are developments in instrumentation influencing imaging techniques?