Introduction and Overview
The 7th edition of the ‘Healthcare Construction Market Report - UK 2017-2021 Analysis' focuses on key market trends and major structural changes within the NHS and private sectors, which should be of particular interest to construction professionals involved in or targeting the healthcare sector.
Key issues covered in the report:
- Government reform of the NHS and implications of the Health & Social Care Act for the construction industry.
- New providers and clients under the new NHS structure.
- Analysis of capital funding to 2021 and capital funding arrangements under new NHS structure.
- Major contractors, consortia, developers and investors involved in the healthcare sector - construction pipelines, budgets, key schemes and players.
Areas of particular interest include:
- Review of primary healthcare and GP estate and Government funding to upgrade premises - GPs now firmly at the core of the NHS.
- Review of future of main procurement routes and construction - PFI and Private Finance 2 (PF2), LIFT and ExpressLIFT, Hub Initiative in Scotland, Procure21+, Designed for Life: Building for Wales and Frameworks Scotland - construction pipelines, budgets, key schemes and players.
- Shift away from major new build hospital schemes towards local and primary health facilities and refurbishment schemes. ExpressLIFT and P21+ construction pipeline.
- Review of growing involvement of private sector and commercial providers in the NHS primary care provision.
Some of the companies included:
Balfour Beatty, BAM, Bowmer & Kirkland, Bouygues, Bovis, Carillion, Eric Wright Group, Galliford Try, Graham Construction, ISG, Laing O'Rourke, Kier, Interserve, John Laing, John Sisk, Laing O'Rourke, Lend Lease, McLaughlin & Harvey, Midas Construction, Mitie, Morgan Sindall, NG Bailey, RG Carter, Robertson Construction, Rydon, Seddon Group, Sir Robert McAlpine, Shepherd Building, Skanska, Simons Construction, Vinci, Willmott Dixon.
Public Sector Healthcare in the UK
- Overview and new structure of the NHS - England, Scotland, Wales - Government reforms of the NHS and implications of new Health & Social care act.
- New providers and clients under new NHS structure - CCGs, Foundation Trusts, NHSCB.
- Size and condition of NHS estate in England, Wales and Scotland - impact of reforms on NHS estate rationalisation and upkeep.
- Healthcare spending and investment - primary care spending, NHS funding in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland, forecasts 2017-2021.
Private Acute Healthcare Sector in the UK
- Private partnership with the NHS and analysis of private and corporate providers in the NHS.
- Acute private hospital provision and leading providers - number of facilities, key contracts.
- Private healthcare companies - key players, market size including major groups, retail outlets moving into primary healthcare, private healthcare groups and property/investment companies - top 25 major players specializing in GP and primary care premises investment and development.
- Private dental care - major dental companies/practices.
Contractors' Output in the Healthcare Sector
- Analysis of total new work construction output - output by sector for 2017 and beyond.
- Construction output in the healthcare sector - 2012-2021 - factors influencing forecasts.
- Healthcare construction work pipeline - key funding streams (PFI/PPP, P21, P21+), programme budgets to 2021, number of schemes/capital values.
- Capital expenditure in the NHS - England, Scotland, Wales and N. Ireland - key developments.
Procurement of Healthcare Construction Work
- Size/value of PFI healthcare market and progress of schemes to date.
- Future of Healthcare PFI (Private Finance 2) - key schemes, values.
- Overview of NHS LIFT/ExpressLIFT/Hub Initiative in Scotland/Procure21 & Procure21+/Designed for Life: Building for Wales Framework/Frameworks Scotland - budgets, construction pipelines, progress to date, forecasts.
- NHS ExpressLIFT and P21+ construction pipelines to 2020 - values, schemes, status, players etc.
- Other finance and procurement options for NHS clients - LABVs, joint ventures, surplus land - open up the market considerably to smaller firms and suppliers.
Construction Supply in the Healthcare Sector
- Key construction companies in the healthcare sector - recent projects.
- Key consortia in healthcare sector - key players.
- Healthcare developers and investors.
- Current construction opportunities and tenders in the healthcare sector.