The global market for recycled plastics is expected to grow from $28.7 billion in 2022 to $37.3 billion by 2027 with a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 5.3% for the period of 2022-2027.
Asia-Pacific market for recycled plastics is expected to grow from $17.9 billion in 2022 to $22.9 billion by 2027 with a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 5.1% for the period of 2022-2027.
European market for recycled plastics is expected to grow from $7.0 billion in 2022 to $9.4 billion by 2027 with a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 5.1% for the period of 2022-2027.
For the purposes of this report, the term "recycling" refers to the removal of products from the waste stream for use (not including incineration or energy recovery). Any secondary use or reuse of the material is assumed to have already taken place. The term "recovery" includes all disposal methods except land disposal-for example, recycling, incineration, waste-to-energy (WTE).
Below we have mentioned a few technical terms which we will be used multiple times in the report.
- The term "chemical recycling" will be used to describe the return to chemical units originally used to make resins. Nylon can be depolymerized to caprolactam.
- The term "feedstock recycling" will be used to denote the process of decomposing plastics to a mix of organic chemicals, some used in the manufacture of plastics and some not. Feedstock recycling products are more akin to the raw materials used to produce plastics (e.g., petroleum, natural gas).
- Mechanical recycling methods include those that involve physical modifications to the recovered plastic only, such as separation, grinding and classifying.
This report will be concerned with activities in four regions: North America, Europe, Asia, and the Rest of the World (Rest of the World). All figures are reported to the nearest million dollars or million lbs. Growth rates given are compound annual growth rates (CAGRs) for the period 2022-2027. All value figures noted are in constant 2020 U.S. dollars.
The market data in the tables of this report covers only post-consumer plastics. Post-industrial plastics are not included.
This report is divided into several sections as given below -
- The Introductory section summarizes the study's goals and objectives, the reasons for doing the study and scopes. The Summary and Highlights section provides a summary of estimates and forecasts of the global plastics recycling market for 2020-2027, and it highlights the largest and fastest-growing markets and important trends.
- The Overview section describes the manufacture of plastics, the major types of plastics used and how plastics are disposed of after use, and it provides a summary of recycling methods.
- The Market Dynamics chapter lays special emphasis on the drivers, restraints, and opportunities. It describes the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic, and it features a value chain analysis as well as a Porter's analysis.
- The Sources section describes existing markets by product source. Recycled waste products include bottles, vehicles, carpet, and electronics. This section covers topics such as the amount of plastic annually collected and recycled from these sources. When possible, it offers a prediction regarding the probable growth rate over the next five years.
- Further chapters also look at plastics recycling by resin and collecting location. Summarizing the sources and end uses for recycled materials that are available. Most recycled polyethylene terephthalate (PET) comes from PET bottles, and the main end market for recycled PET bottle resin is fibers.
- The Global Market section also profiles products made with recycled plastics, including applications such as plastic lumber and plastic composites (e.g., wood, fibers, cement, glass). Products are covered separately, and they may be made from plastic from a combination of sources. Wood/fiber plastic composites may be made from several different resin types, each possibly derived from several different products.
- After the global market sections, there will be four chapters that discuss the regional plastics recycling markets: North America, Europe, Asia, and Rest of the World.
- The Company Profiles section lists relevant organizations and companies.
- The Appendix provides definitions of abbreviations and acronyms.
Market values and volumes have specific measurements, as described below -
- Market values are measured at the level of plastic recycled, such as the values of recycled resin pellets.
- Market volumes by end use or application are measured at the levels of both the amount of plastic available for recycling and the amount of plastic that is recycled.
- Market volumes by source of waste (e.g., bottles, films) are measured at the level of the amount of plastic available for recycling.
- Market volume is segmented by resin types of waste (e.g., PET, PE) and measured at the level of the amount of plastic available for recycling.
- 259 tables
- An up-to-date review and analysis of the global market revenue for recycled plastics and related technologies
- Analyses of the global market trends, with data from 2020 and 2021, estimates for 2022, and projections of compound annual growth rates (CAGRs) through 2027
- Evaluation and forecast the global plastic recycling market size in value and volumetric terms, and corresponding market share analysis by resin type, collecting location, source of waste, end-use, and geographic region
- Latest information on major market dynamics (DROs), technology advancements, industry structure, government regulations, and other macroeconomic factors affecting the overall plastics industry
- Highlights of emerging technology trends, opportunities and gaps estimating current and future demand for recycled plastics, and impact of COVID-19 on the progress of this market
- Identification of companies best positioned to meet the demand for recycled plastics owing to their proprietary technologies, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and other strategic alliances
- Insight into recent industry structure, current competitive scenario, R&D activities, new product development, and company value share analysis based on their segmental revenues
- Profile descriptions of the leading industry players, including Indorama Ventures, LyondellBasell, Teijin, JK Plastics, ACI Plastics and Phoenix Technologies LP