PharmaVitae explores Merck KGaA's prescription pharmaceutical performance and outlook over 2017-27. PharmaVitae analyses include quarterly earnings coverage and provide timely updates to company product forecasts. The full company profile encompasses analysis on corporate strategy, portfolio analysis, pipeline potential, and financial performance.
- Overview - Merck KGaA's sparse late-stage pipeline and exposure to generics mean an increased reliance on its PD-L1 therapy Bavencio.
- Key themes -  Merck KGaA's revenue continues to be negatively impacted by branded and generic competition to its portfolio of longer-listed products  Merck KGaA is attempting to combat these sales declines through its foray into the lucrative immuno-oncology market, and the launch of Mavenclad in multiple sclerosis  The company's CNS portfolio will decline at a CAGR of -1.8% out to 2027 as it loses prominence in multiple sclerosis  Oncology will be a key growth driver for Merck KGaA, growing at a 3.0% CAGR out to 2027  Merck KGaA's outlook remains highly dependent on the successful further development of Bavencio.
- Q1 2018 - Merck KGaA reports weak sales exacerbated by currency headwinds.
- Out to 2022 - The expiries of longer-listed products will be partially offset by the 2017 launch of Bavencio, and growth in emerging markets.
- Out to 2027 - The company will add $194m out to 2027, owing to growth in its oncology and metabolic portfolios, and the launch of Mavenclad.
- Pipeline - Merck KGaA currently has no new molecular entity drugs in clinical development, and is heavily reliant on label expansions for Bavencio and Mavenclad.
- Lifecycle - Merck KGaA's launch portfolio, focused on Bavencio and Mavenclad, will be sufficient in offsetting its principal pharma declines.
- Major events - Bavencio will continue its expansion across solid tumor types as Mavenclad seeks approval in the US for multiple sclerosis.
- Reduced RoW sales owing to currency headwinds.
- Merck KGaA acquires the rights to abituzumab from SFJ.
- Divestiture of consumer healthcare business.
- Explore and visualize revenue dynamics in Merck KGaA's portfolio out to 2027 using 10-year in-house sales forecasts segmented by the following sections.
- What were the major highlights from Merck KGaA's latest earnings call and quarterly performance?
- How is Merck KGaA strategically poised out to 2027?
- What are Merck KGaA's key strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats?
- What are Merck KGaA's key catalysts during the current year?
- Why will specific therapy areas experience the largest growth and decline?
- What are the detailed competitive dynamics at play in Merck KGaA's important therapeutic markets?
- How is Merck KGaA adapting strategically to internal and external headwinds in preceding quarters?
Facts and figures
- What is Merck KGaA's forecasted sales performance out to 2027?
- What is the revenue trajectory of Merck KGaA's current top 10 products out to 2027?
- Which therapy areas will experience the largest growth and decline?
- What are the portfolio weightings of Merck KGaA based on the lifecycle of its products?