GlobalData's 'Belgium Cards and Payments - Opportunities and Risks to 2025' report provides detailed analysis of market trends in the Belgian cards and payments industry. It provides values and volumes for a number of key performance indicators in the industry, including cards,cash, credit transfers, direct debits and cheques during the review-period (2017-21e).
The report also analyzes various payment card markets operating in the industry and provides detailed information on the number of cards in circulation, transaction values and volumes during the review-period and over the forecast-period (2021e-25f). It also offers information on the country's competitive landscape, including market shares of issuers and schemes.
The report brings together GlobalData's research, modeling, and analysis expertise to allow banks and card issuers to identify segment dynamics and competitive advantages. The report also covers detailed regulatory policies and recent changes in regulatory structure.
The report provides top-level market analysis, information and insights into the Belgian cards and payments industry, including -
- Current and forecast values for each market in the Belgian cards and payments industry, including debit, credit, and charge cards
- Detailed insights into payment instruments including cards,cash, credit transfers, direct debits and cheques. It also, includes an overview of the country's key alternative payment instruments.
- Ecommerce market analysis.
- Analysis of various market drivers and regulations governing the Belgian cards and payments industry.
- Detailed analysis of strategies adopted by banks and other institutions to market debit, credit and charge cards.
- Comprehensive analysis of consumer attitudes and buying preferences for cards.
- The competitive landscape of the Belgian cards and payments industry.
- Digital-only banks are gradually making inroads into the Belgian banking and debit card space. In October 2019, Netherlands-based digital-only bank bunq expanded its services into multiple European countries (including Belgium). In February 2020, digital-only bank Aion was launched. The bank offers a multi-currency debit card, enabling users to make card payments and ATM withdrawals with no currency conversion costs. And digital-only bank Bamx launched in October 2021. The bank offers a contactless Mastercard debit card, enabling users to make card payments and ATM withdrawals.
- The preference for contactless payments is growing among Belgians, especially since the outbreak of COVID-19. According to domestic scheme provider Bancontact Payconiq Company, 442 million contactless payments were made using Bancontact cards in 2020 - up 283% compared to 2019. 42% of all payments made with Bancontact cards were contactless in 2020. Meanwhile, 125 million contactless mobile payments were made in 2020 with the Payconiq by Bancontact app or a banking app offering the Bancontact and/or Payconiq payment methods.
- Amid the pandemic, large ecommerce companies are offering online platforms for local brick-and-mortar vendors to sell their products online. In June 2021, Germany-based ecommerce giant Zalando launched an ecommerce platform, enabling Belgian vendors to connect their stores directly to the Zalando platform and sell their products to millions of Zalando customers online. In April 2021, food retailer Hopr launched the pilot phase of its online shopping platform, enabling consumers to order groceries online and get free delivery to their home. The service was launched in full in January 2022. Previously, Dutch supermarket chain Albert Heijn started offering online grocery delivery services in the Antwerp region of Belgium in July 2020.
Reasons to Buy
- Make strategic business decisions, using top-level historic and forecast market data, related to the Belgian cards and payments industry and each market within it.
- Understand the key market trends and growth opportunities in the Belgian cards and payments industry.
- Assess the competitive dynamics in the Belgian cards and payments industry.
- Gain insights into marketing strategies used for various card types in Belgium.
- Gain insights into key regulations governing the Belgian cards and payments industry.