Companies that invest in the right themes become success stories; those that miss the big themes end up as failures. Look at the rapid development of artificial intelligence (AI), electric vehicles (EVs), and cybersecurity over the past 10 years. Given that so many themes are disruptive, it is very easy to be blindsided by industry outsiders who enter your sector. To help businesses in the tech, media, and telecom (TMT) industry stay ahead of the competition and understand what 2022 will hold, GlobalData's thematic analysts have produced the TMT Predictions 2022 report.
In this report, we identify the top 30 themes that will impact the TMT industry in 2022. We predict how each theme will develop in 2022, provide infographics using data from GlobalData's intelligence centers, identify winners and losers, and point you towards further reading. This multi-theme report will help you to understand and identify the important themes that threaten to disrupt your business in 2022. Opportunities await those who can exploit the benefits of each theme.
This report will provide you with the insight to decide where to focus and invest in the short term, so your business will see success in the long term. Themes include those that have been around for years but will experience significant developments in 2022, such as cloud computing and social media. The most disruptive, nascent themes such as augmented reality, ambient commerce, and the metaverse-have also been extensively analyzed to ensure they do not pass you by.
The business world has bifurcated into two streams: the tech-enabled and the tech-disabled. In every industry from banking to retail, healthcare, automotive, industrials, and energy winners and losers are emerging fast. The winners have invested heavily in next-generation technology. The losers feel they don't have to. The successful companies of tomorrow spend every minute monitoring how technology, media, and telecom themes will play out. Use this report to understand how the most disruptive themes will impact the TMT sector.
- In ESG, 2022 will see an increase in signatories to The Climate Pledge. As its targets can be achieved through carbon offset schemes, there will be increasing pressure for the voluntary carbon market to be regulated. Companies with implausible net-zero targets risk harming their reputation.
- Though the metaverse may not yet be fully realized, early prototypes and use cases will emerge as tech companies strengthen their metaverse capabilities and start-ups develop solutions around data visualization, collaboration, and training.
- Decentralized finance (DeFi) will disrupt traditional financial institutions and is set to be the killer use case of cryptocurrency. Start-ups will lead DeFi platform innovations, with retail investors as the primary targets. Institutional bodies will catch up with the trend through the introduction of Central Bank Digital Currencies (CBDCs) and the adoption of stablecoins.
- Supply chain disruptions and rising labor costs are de-emphasizing the cost advantage of offshoring. US manufacturers in the transportation equipment, electronics, and chemicals industries will reshore production due to concerns over EV battery production and domestic semiconductor supply.
- The cybersecurity industry will develop quantum-resistant encryption before RSA codes are broken. However, future quantum computers could break secure communications captured today. Therefore, companies will implement quantum security solutions in 2022.
- The expansion of satellite networks will provide almost 70% of the space economy's growth in the near term, facilitating larger aspirations. Plans for space business parks from aerospace leaders will see commercial actors have a more sustained presence in space, signaling a commercial infrastructure boom in the longer term.
- Analysis of the 30 most important themes impacting the TMT sector, classified into three groups: technology, macroeconomic, and regulatory. These include ESG, metaverse, AI, the future of work, and data privacy.
- A series of quantitative and qualitative predictions for each theme in 2022, including market forecasts. Infographics are provided for each theme to justify key predictions using survey results and data from GlobalData's patents, jobs, deals, company filings, and social media analytics databases. Winners and losers are identified in each theme using data from thematic scorecards, driven by GlobalData's unique thematic methodology.
- An overview of M&A deals from 2021. Predictions of target companies for acquisition in 2022 in 17 sub-sectors and themes across the hardware, software and services, and internet and media sectors.
Reasons to Buy
- Position yourself for future success by investing in the most important tech, regulatory, and macroeconomic themes in the TMT industry. Informed by GlobalData's analysts, we provide recommendations on the actions you should take in each theme to improve your standing.
- Source the leading vendors for the most disruptive themes in the TMT industry from our winners' lists and shortlist potential partners based on their areas of expertise.
- Quickly identify attractive investment targets by understanding which companies are the most advanced in the themes that will determine future success in the TMT industry.
- Quantify the global sales opportunity for disruptive tech services by accessing GlobalData's market size and forecasts, produced by technology, healthcare, automotive, retail, banking, aerospace, defense, and security analysts.
- Gain a competitive advantage in the future of the TMT industry by reading this report in conjunction with another multi-theme report, Tech, Media, & Telecom Themes 2022, which is organized by sector.