GlobalData's South Africa Source Tourism Insight Report including International Departures, Domestic Trips, Key Destinations, Trends, Tourist Profiles, Analysis of Consumer Survey Responses, Spend Analysis, Risks and Future Opportunities, 2022 Update report provides a thorough insight into South Africa's domestic and outbound tourism market. The report looks at the profiles of South African tourists and summarizes the key reasons that they travel. The report offers an in-depth analysis of traveler flows, spending patterns, main destination markets, and current and future opportunities for tourism businesses seeking to tap into the South African outbound travel market.
- Prior to COVID-19, South African outbound tourism had been growing steadily year-on-year. The number of outbound tourists declined by xx% YoY from 2019 to 2020 to xx international departures and further to xx in 2021 as the South African government placed restrictions in place to limit the spread of COVID-19 by limiting international travel.
- Going forward, outbound travel is set to reach xx million trips which will exceed pre-pandemic levels by 2025, according to GlobalData forecasts. In 2021, the top three international destinations for South Africa were Lesotho, Mozambique, and the United Kingdom.
- According to GlobalData's Q3 2021 Consumer Survey, South African travelers typically enjoy sun and beach holidays (68%), cultural holidays (xx%), and VFR travel (xx%). In 2020, domestic tourists declined by xx% YoY from xx million in 2019 to xx in 2020 and xx in 2021 as a result of COVID-19.
- In 2019, total outbound expenditure reached $xx billion. As COVID-19 limited international travel, total outbound tourism expenditure declined xx% YoY to $xx billion in 2020 and has since recovered by xx% YoY to $xx billion in 2021. Total outbound expenditure is projected to reach xx billion by 2024, according to GlobalData forecasts.
- This report is part of GlobalData's Source Market Insights Series. This report provides an in-depth analysis of traveler flows, spending patterns, main destination markets, as well as current and future opportunities for tourism businesses seeking to tap into the South African source market.
Reasons to Buy
- This report provides a clear insight into developments in South Africa's domestic and outbound tourism markets. The report uses data and analysis to discuss future trends related to domestic trips, international departures, traveler spending, and main destination markets.
- The report explores the demands of South African travelers and the reasons that they travel, providing insight into the trends that are emerging in this key source market. The reader gains a strong understanding of the opportunities in this market, as well as the risks, to support better business decisions.
- This report examines the impact of COVID-19 and inflation on South African outbound and domestic tourism.