Heart failure( HF) is a clinical syndrome where the heart is unable to meet the demands of the body with a sufficient blood supply. This can be due to structural or functional cardiac abnormalities which can be caused by unexpected injury such as myocardial infarction, or an underlying pathogenesis such as hypertension (Krum and Abraham, 2009). The heart then begins to employ compensatory mechanisms that soon become maladaptive - Frank-Starling mechanism, neurohormonal activation and ventricular remodeling. All of which help to relieve stress initially but long term, cause strain on the cardiac muscle and inevitably progression of HF. Heart failure can be either acute or chronic, depending on the manifestation time frame. Heart failure is grouped into subtypes which are defined by measure of ejection fraction - the heart's ability to eject blood.
HF is a global healthcare concern and affected patients suffer from poor quality of life and poor prognosis. Risk factors for HF include; diabetes, hypertension and obesity, all of which are on the rise in the current population. There is a large unmet need in HF for a treatment option that meets clinical end points in reduced mortality and hospitalization.
- The main driver of the HF market expansion will be the approval and launch of the SGLT inhibitors for both HF-REF and HF-PEF.
- Another prominent contributor to sales growth will be the approval of the large number of pipeline therapies across the 8MM.
- The major global barrier for the HF market will be the annual cost of therapy for new pipeline drugs compared to the standard of care generics, alongside the unwillingness for prescribers to add new drugs to large therapy regimens.
- The key market opportunities lie in addressing unmet needs through the development of more efficacious drugs for HF patients for acute HF , HF-PEF and HF-mrEF.
Key Questions Answered
- SGLT inhibitors will enter the market and see a significant uptake in patient shares for the treatment of HF. However, there are high unmet needs within the indication. What are the main unmet needs in this market? Will the drugs under development fulfill the unmet needs of the HF market?
- The current late-stage HF pipeline consists of chronic therapies such as Farxiga and Jardiance, post-acute therapies such as omecamtiv mecarbil and Zynquista, and acute therapies such as istaroxime. Will the late-stage drugs make a significant impact on the HF market? Which of these drugs will have the highest peak sales at the highest CAGR, and why?
- We have seen a significant increase in the HF population, in terms of diagnosed prevalence and there is an increase in the amount of patients treated for HF-REF, HF-PEF and HF-mrEF. How will epidemiological changes impact the growth of the future market?
- Overview of HF, including epidemiology, etiology, pathophysiology, symptoms, diagnosis, and treatment guidelines.
- Annualized HF therapeutics market revenue, annual cost of therapy and treatment usage pattern data from 2018 and forecast for ten years to 2028.
- Key topics covered include strategic competitor assessment, market characterization, unmet needs, clinical trial mapping and implications for the HFtherapeutics market.
- Pipeline analysis: comprehensive data split across different phases, emerging novel trends under development, and detailed analysis of late-stage pipeline drugs.
- Analysis of the current and future market competition in the global HF market. Insightful review of the key industry drivers, restraints and challenges. Each trend is independently researched to provide qualitative analysis of its implications.
Reasons to buy
The report will enable you to -
- Develop and design your in-licensing and out-licensing strategies through a review of pipeline products and technologies, and by identifying the companies with the most robust pipeline. Additionally a list of acquisition targets included in the pipeline product company list.
- Develop business strategies by understanding the trends shaping and driving the global HF therapeutics market.
- Drive revenues by understanding the key trends, innovative products and technologies, market segments, and companies likely to impact the global HF therapeutics market in future.
- Formulate effective sales and marketing strategies by understanding the competitive landscape and by analysing the performance of various competitors.
- Identify emerging players with potentially strong product portfolios and create effective counter-strategies to gain a competitive advantage.
- Track drug sales in the global HF therapeutics market from 2018-2028.
- Organize your sales and marketing efforts by identifying the market categories and segments that present maximum opportunities for consolidations, investments and strategic partnerships.