GlobalData's "Payments Landscape in Spain: Opportunities and Risks to 2022", report provides detailed analysis of market trends in the Spanish cards and payments industry. It provides values and volumes for a number of key performance indicators in the industry, including cash, cards, credit transfers, direct debits, and cheques during the review-period (2014-18e).
The report also analyzes various payment card markets operating in the industry and provides detailed information on the number of cards in circulation, transaction values and volumes during the review-period and over the forecast-period (2018e-22f). It also offers information on the country's competitive landscape, including market shares of issuers and schemes.
The report brings together GlobalData's research, modeling, and analysis expertise to allow banks and card issuers to identify segment dynamics and competitive advantages. The report also covers detailed regulatory policies and recent changes in regulatory structure.
This report provides top-level market analysis, information and insights into Spanish cards and payments industry, including -
- Current and forecast values for each market in the Spanish cards and payments industry, including debit, credit, and charge cards.
- Detailed insights into payment instruments including cash, cards, credit transfers, direct debits, and cheques. It also, includes an overview of the country's key alternative payment instruments.
- E-commerce market analysis.
- Analysis of various market drivers and regulations governing the Spanish cards and payments industry.
- Detailed analysis of strategies adopted by banks and other institutions to market debit, credit, and charge cards.
- To foster the use of electronic payments and encourage instant payments, the European Payments Council launched a pan-European instant credit transfer scheme in selected Single Euro Payments Area (SEPA) markets in November 2017. SEPA Instant Credit Transfer (SCT Inst) enables individuals to transfer a maximum of €15,000 ($17,997.92) within 10 seconds. Funds can be transferred instantly 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year. Spain launched SCT Inst in November 2017, being one of the early adopters of instant payments. Previously in October 2016, a common mobile payment platform called Bizum was launched jointly by 27 Spanish banks. Bizum is integrated within the banks' apps and lets users conduct P2P, in-store, and online transactions instantly through their mobile phones.
- The emergence of digital-only banks is likely to accelerate the shift towards electronic payments in Spain. According to Eurostat 2017, 46% of Spanish consumers have used digital banking - albeit lower than the EU average of 51%. To push digitalization in the country, Banco Pichincha Spain introduced its digital bank Pibank in September 2018. The mobile-only bank provides banking services exclusively through mobile apps and social networks. At present, the bank offers a fee-free payroll account that comes with a debit card. Previously in January 2016, CaixaBank launched its mobile-only imaginBank. Through the mobile app, consumers can apply for current accounts, debit cards, credit cards, and consumer loans, manage personal finances, and make P2P payments. To intensify the competition further, Orange Bank plans on launching its digital bank in September 2019 in Spain.
- Uptake of alternative payments among Spanish consumers is gaining traction, with international payment providers launching their solutions in the market - the latest initiative being the introduction of Android Pay (now Google Pay) in July 2017. Individuals holding a BBVA Visa/Mastercard debit or credit card can use Google Pay at any store that accepts contactless payments in Spain. Earlier in June 2017 Alipay was launched in Spain in collaboration with BBVA. Other international payment solutions including Samsung Pay and Apple Pay forayed into Spain in 2016.
Reasons to buy
- Make strategic business decisions, using top-level historic and forecast market data, related to the Spanish cards and payments industry and each market within it.
- Understand the key market trends and growth opportunities in the Spanish cards and payments industry.
- Assess the competitive dynamics in the Spanish cards and payments industry.
- Gain insights into marketing strategies used for various card types in Spain.
- Gain insights into key regulations governing the Spanish cards and payments industry.