GlobalData's "Payments Landscape in Argentina: Opportunities and Risks to 2021", report provides detailed analysis of market trends in the Argentine cards and payments industry. It provides values and volumes for a number of key performance indicators in the industry, including cash, payment cards, credit transfers, direct debit, and cheques during the review-period (2013-17e).
The report also analyzes various payment card markets operating in the industry, and provides detailed information on the number of cards in circulation, transaction values and volumes during the review-period and over the forecast-period (2017-21f). It also offers information on the country's competitive landscape, including the market shares of issuers and schemes.
The report brings together GlobalData's research, modeling, and analysis expertise to allow banks and card issuers to identify segment dynamics and competitive advantages. The report also covers details of regulatory policy and recent changes in the regulatory structure.
This report provides top-level market analysis, information and insights into the Argentine cards and payments industry, including -
- Current and forecast values for each market in the Argentine cards and payments industry, including debit, credit, and charge cards.
- Detailed insights into payment instruments including cash, payment cards, credit transfers, cheques, and direct debit. It also, includes an overview of the country's key alternative payment instruments.
- E-commerce market analysis and payment methods.
- Analysis of various market drivers and regulations governing the Argentine cards and payments industry.
- Detailed analysis of strategies adopted by banks and other institutions to market debit, credit, and charge cards.
- To offer convenient and faster payment services, in November 2016 BCRA (the country's central bank) introduced an instant payment service called DEBIN, which means "immediate debit". The service became operational from September 15, 2017. The service enables financial institutions to debit funds from their customers' bank accounts (with prior authorization) to make payments. The payment request can be accepted or rejected by the customer, with the service operating on a 24/7 basis. DEBIN allows payments in Argentine pesos, US dollars, and between accounts of the same currency. A maximum of ARS50,000 or $5,000 can be transferred via ATMs, while a maximum of ARS100,000 or $12,500 can be transferred via internet banking. Recurring payments can also be arranged.
- To drive electronic payments among SMEs, in February 2017 the Administracion Federal de Ingresos Publicos (AFIP) made it obligatory for these businesses to install POS terminals. For wholesale and retail businesses with net sales of ARS4m ($214,846.14) or more the deadline was April 30, 2017; for business with sales of ARS1m-4m ($53,711.54-214,846.14) the deadline was May 31; for merchants with sales less than or equal to ARS1m the deadline was June 30; and for professionals and merchants operating in health, culture, sports and entertainment the deadline was July 31. AFIP also proposed a 50% discount or complete waiver of POS rental fees from six months to two years.
- Argentina has lower ATM penetration compared to many of its regional peers. To expand the network, in May 2017 the BCRA passed a new regulation allowing non-banking entities to install ATMs and charge for their services. To enable easier opening of new branches the BCRA relaxed regulatory requirements in June 2016. As a result, banks no longer need to go through the lengthy process of obtaining authorization from the BCRA to open branches. All banks are now allowed to open mobile branches and ATMs in locations removed from urban region; this facility was previously available only through public banks.
Reasons to buy
- Make strategic business decisions, using top-level historic and forecast market data, related to the Argentine cards and payments industry and each market within it.
- Understand the key market trends and growth opportunities in the Argentine cards and payments industry.
- Assess the competitive dynamics in the Argentine cards and payments industry.
- Gain insights into marketing strategies used for various card types in Argentina
- Gain insights into key regulations governing the Argentine cards and payments industry.