"The Baby Food Sector in China, 2018", is an analytical report by GlobalData which provides extensive and highly detailed current and future market trends in the Chinese market.
China is one of the few markets in the world with a relatively developed market for goat's milk-based infant formula. Despite this, sales account for less than 5% of the total infant formula market. They are, however, growing rapidly, according to some sources at up to 50% in value per year. Sales of Kabrita goat's milk formula grew by 61% in value in 2017. Consumption of baby food is greatest in the major cities, where incomes are better and more women have jobs. Many working women buy baby milks for their convenience, particularly as a weaning food. In both rural and urban China, however, the use of commercially prepared baby foods is considered to be a luxury in all but the most affluent households. While baby milks account for the majority of per capita intake, and consumption of other types of baby food is relatively low, they have strong growth potential. Research conducted by Mintel in December 2016 found higher rates of intention to breastfeed and also mothers choose higher-priced niche products such as organic or goat milk infant formula.
What else does this report offer?
- Consumption data based upon a unique combination of industry research, fieldwork, market sizing work and our in-house expertise to offer extensive data about the trends and dynamics affecting the industry.
- Detailed profile of the companies operating and new companies considering entry in the industry along with their key focus product sectors.
- Market profile of the various product sectors with the key features & developments, segmentation, per capita trends and the various manufacturers & brands.
- Overview of baby food retailing with a mention of the major retailers in the country along with the distribution channel.
- Future projections considering various trends which are likely to affect the industry.
- The baby milks market is entirely composed of powdered formulae. In 2011, Danone (Dumex) introduced a liquid formula for sale in large cities, starting with Shanghai. This did not meet with strong consumer demand, and the category has not developed.
- Dried meals based on noodles and pasta - to which a variety of meat, fish, and vegetable flavors are generally added - now account for some 25-30% of value of sales in the cereals & dried meals category, and it is a proportion which is growing.
- The last few years have seen an increase in the number of meals marketed on the basis of health.
- Intake levels of finger foods have risen by 38% over the survey period, while spend per baby has increased by 56% at current prices.
Reasons to buy
- Evaluate important changes in consumer behavior and identify profitable markets and areas for product innovation.
- Analyse current and forecast behavior trends in each category to identify the best opportunities to exploit.
- Detailed understanding of consumption by individual product categories in order to align your sales and marketing efforts with the latest trends in the market.
- Investigates which categories are performing the best and how this is changing market dynamics.