"The Baby Food Sector in Indonesia, 2018", is an analytical report by GlobalData which provides extensive and highly detailed current and future market trends in the Indonesian market.
Dietary habits have inhibited sales of commercially prepared baby foods in Indonesia. With the exception of Jakarta, many Indonesians have a traditional diet, based on rice, fresh fruit, and vegetables, supplemented with meat, although, 80% of the population is Muslim, and do not eat pork or non-halal meat. Babies are often fed on a mixture of brown rice and water, which is regarded as highly nutritious, while industrially prepared alternatives are usually unavailable to mothers living in rural areas, which account for 45% of Indonesia's population. In 2017, the government announced that it would require all categories of food to complete halal certification before October 2019. In late 2017 a one-stop online system was introduced to facilitate the process.
What else does this report offer?
- Consumption data based upon a unique combination of industry research, fieldwork, market sizing work and our in-house expertise to offer extensive data about the trends and dynamics affecting the industry.
- Detailed profile of the companies operating and new companies considering entry in the industry along with their key focus product sectors.
- Market profile of the various product sectors with the key features & developments, segmentation, per capita trends and the various manufacturers & brands.
- Overview of baby food retailing with a mention of the major retailers in the country along with the distribution channel.
- Future projections considering various trends which are likely to affect the industry.
- By 2017 growing-up milks accounted for over three-quarters of volume sales and over two-thirds of value sales.
- Baby milks are almost exclusively sold in powdered format. A number of manufacturers do, however, offer liquid milks for toddlers from two years old, generally in plain, strawberry and chocolate flavours, 70% of all powdered milks are sold in boxes and the remaining 30% in cans.
- The retail value of cereals & dry meals increased by 59% at current prices over the 2011-2017 period. In real terms, the category has shown only 17.8% growth.
- The predominant pack size for Cereals & Dry meals is 120g, followed by 100g packs.
- The category comprises wet meals in jars and pouches. Wet meals are very low sellers on the Indonesian market.
- Most wet meals are sold in 100g, 170g and 200g jars. A very limited number of pouches are also available.
Reasons to buy
- Evaluate important changes in consumer behavior and identify profitable markets and areas for product innovation.
- Analyse current and forecast behavior trends in each category to identify the best opportunities to exploit.
- Detailed understanding of consumption by individual product categories in order to align your sales and marketing efforts with the latest trends in the market.
- Investigates which categories are performing the best and how this is changing market dynamics.