GlobalData's 'Thailand Cards and Payments - Opportunities and Risks to 2025' report provides detailed analysis of market trends in the Thailand cards and payments industry. It provides values and volumes for a number of key performance indicators in the industry, including cash, credit transfers, cards, direct debits, and Cheques during the review-period (2017-21e).
The report also analyzes various payment card markets operating in the industry and provides detailed information on the number of cards in circulation, transaction values and volumes during the review-period and over the forecast-period (2021e-25f). It also offers information on the country's competitive landscape, including market shares of issuers and schemes.
The report brings together GlobalData's research, modeling, and analysis expertise to allow banks and card issuers to identify segment dynamics and competitive advantages. The report also covers detailed regulatory policies and recent changes in regulatory structure.
This report provides top-level market analysis, information and insights into the Thailand cards and payments industry, including -
- Current and forecast values for each market in the Thailand cards and payments industry, including debit, credit, and charge cards.
- Detailed insights into payment instruments including cash, credit transfers, cards, direct debits, and Cheques. It also, includes an overview of the country's key alternative payment instruments.
- E-commerce market analysis.
- Analysis of various market drivers and regulations governing the Thailand's cards and payments industry.
- Detailed analysis of strategies adopted by banks and other institutions to market debit, credit, and charge cards.
- As the country's central bank, the Bank of Thailand is taking steps to promote digital payments in the country. It launched Payment Systems Roadmap No.4 (2019-2021), which is a continuation of the previous Payment Systems Roadmap and National E-Payment Master Plan. The new plan aims to further develop digital payments between 2019 and 2021. Key areas emphasized by the roadmap include creating an interoperable payment infrastructure, developing a biometric standard for authentication of identities, developing a cross-border payment and fund transfer service, and promoting widespread usage of digital payments.
- To encourage adoption of cashless payments among consumers and SMEs, the government along with other payment participants are increasingly pushing QR code-based mobile payments as an alternative to cash. The adoption of an interoperable standardized QR code system in 2017 and the launch of MyPromptQR in July 2019 helped revolutionize the country's mobile payment space. Almost nine out of 10 consumers now own a mobile wallet, while 64% of consumers use one regularly. By the end of December 2020 there were over 6.9 million QR code service acceptance points across the nation. The COVID-19 pandemic further boosted the adoption and use of mobile payments in the country. To further expand the scope of QR code payments, the central bank launched cross-border QR code payment services in Vietnam (April 2021) and Malaysia (June 2021), allowing Thai consumers visiting both countries to make QR code payments at local merchants.
- To capitalize on the growing preference for digital banking in Thailand, LINE Financial Asia (a subsidiary of LINE Corporation) launched a digital-only social banking platform called LINE BK in October 2020. It was launched in collaboration with KBank subsidiary Kasikorn Vision. The new digital banking platform offers bank accounts, debit cards, and loans powered by KBank, which can be accessed via the LINE messaging app. On a similar note, United Overseas Bank launched its digital-only bank TMRW in Thailand in February 2019. TMRW offers a wide range of services, including free account opening, free cash withdrawals, free money transfers, and a debit card.
Reasons to Buy
- Make strategic business decisions, using top-level historic and forecast market data, related to the Thailand cards and payments industry and each market within it.
- Understand the key market trends and growth opportunities in the Thailand cards and payments industry.
- Assess the competitive dynamics in the Thailand cards and payments industry.
- Gain insights into marketing strategies used for various card types in Thailand.
- Gain insights into key regulations governing the Thailand cards and payments industry.