"5G - Regulatory Developments and Outlook in the Americas", a new Telecom Insider Report by GlobalData, provides an executive-level overview of current and future 5G spectrum allocations, regulatory developments, and policy initiatives that are supporting 5G deployments and ecosystem development in the region.
5G has become an integral part of several countries' economic development and competitive strategies. This report analyzes the key regulatory and policy drivers supporting 5G rollouts and ecosystem development in the Americas region. It also provides regulators, telcos, and vendors with guidance on the best practices related to these themes, to support 5G development and help unlock the economic benefits of 5G.
The report also reviews examples of key impediments to 5G development in the region, ranging from use cases maturity to vendor constraints, and provides best practices on how to address these. It also provides a summary of several Americas countries' 5G auctions, national 5G strategies, and related policy initiatives. The three Americas' country case studies deep dive into the main 5G roadmaps, regulations, policies, and national strategies that the countries have adopted to support 5G services and rollouts. The report then concludes with key findings and recommendations into the establishment of a supportive and investment-friendly regulatory environment for 5G and the initiatives that countries can adopt to foster 5G development.
It provides an in-depth analysis of the following -
- Section 1: 5G Spectrum, Policies, and Regulations in the Americas: A summary overview of the 5G spectrum availability in the Americas region, deep dives into the main policies and regulations that are being harnessed by regulators and governments to boost the 5G ecosystem's development and gives examples of the impediments to the technology's development.
- Section 2: 5G Regulatory Status and Progress in the Americas: For four countries in the region, this section provides an overview of the status of 5G spectrum auctions and 5G national strategies.
- Section 3: Case studies: Offers three country case studies which examine how regulators and governments have adopted policies and regulations to establish an investment-friendly and supportive ecosystem for 5G development - including making available adequate 5G spectrum, adopting national 5G strategies, streamlining planning regulations to facilitate 5G rollouts, incentivizing private investment, and promoting industry collaboration around 5G use case development.
- Section 4: Key findings and recommendations: A summary of key findings and recommendations for regulators, governments, and telcos globally on establishing supportive 5G regulatory and investment ecosystems.
- North America has become one of the most penetrated regions in terms of 5G services, Latin America lags substantially behind with only a handful of small-scale commercial deployments.
- Several regulatory conditions must be deployed to help achieve 5G's ambitious potential. There is demand for improved and supportive regulations and policies ensuring: efficient spectrum resources in the mix of 5G-usable frequency bands; supportive regulatory environment for network sharing; and certainty on 5G security requirements and procedures.
- Governments in the region should also consider offering more economic incentives to support 5G rollouts and ecosystem development, such as tax rebates and grants.
- Strategic and national security considerations for the roll out of 5G services have become a key topic in the regulatory agenda of many governments.
Reasons to Buy
- This Telecom Insider Report provides a comprehensive examination of the regulations and policies that support 5G rollouts and ecosystem development in the Americas region.
- It offers insights and best practices on spectrum auctions in the Americas for 5G - including the number of frequencies auctioned, the spectrum bands made available, and timely availability - as a way to help regulators and telcos in their 5G rollouts.
- It also talks about regulations that can be harnessed to support network investments such as planning rights regulations, network sharing, and supply chain resiliency and diversification.
- The report also presents some initiatives that governments have adopted to spur an investment-friendly 5G ecosystem such as adopting tax incentives, funding, public-private-partnerships, and frameworks supportive to infrastructure investments and innovation.
- Further insights and best practices are provided on governments' roles in spurring collaboration in the 5G ecosystem between vertical industry players, telecom operators, vendors, and other relevant ecosystem players to co-create and co-develop 5G use cases and services.
- Three Americas country case studies illustrate the findings of the report, providing insights around different countries' national 5G strategies and the 5G policies and regulations they have adopted to establish an investment-friendly environment for 5G and to develop the 5G ecosystem.
- The report will help regulators, governments and telecom executives craft adapted policies, regulations, and national strategies to help unlock the potential of 5G in their markets.