Cover Image
Market Research Report

The Global Smartphone Industry: A New Era of Competition and Major Players' Strategies

Published by MIC - Market Intelligence & Consulting Institute Product code 254449
Published Content info
Immediate Delivery Available
Back to Top
The Global Smartphone Industry: A New Era of Competition and Major Players' Strategies
Published: November 8, 2012 Content info:


Amid the global economic uncertainties, it is anticipated that global Smartphone shipment volume will still witness a 27% year-on-year growth to around 868.0 million units in 2013. However, the global Smartphone industry is highly concentrated such that the combined revenue share of Apple and Samsung is expected to have reached around 60% and the combined profit share around 95% in 2012, thereby leaving only 5% of profits to be shared by other Smartphone branded vendors. This report profiles the development of the global Smartphone industry in 2012, examines strategies of five major groups in the industry and provides an insight into the future outlook of the industry while pointing out feasible product strategies to be put in place by other Smartphone brands, aside from Apple and Samsung, in order to seize a larger piece of the market-pie.

Table of Contents

Table of Contents

1. Development of the Global Smartphone Industry

  • 1.1 Mature Markets Remain Overshadowed; Emerging Markets Grow at Slow Pace
  • 1.2 Telecom Operators Reducing Subsidy Amount and Period
  • 1.3 Telecom Operators Prioritize Apple and Samsung over Other Vendors

2.New Competition in the Smartphone Industry

  • 2.1 Global Branded Vendors
  • 2.2 Regional Branded Vendors
  • 2.3 Mobile Operating System Suppliers
  • 2.4 Networking Service Suppliers
  • 2.5 PC Branded Vendors

3. Outlook for the Smartphone Industry in 2013

  • 3.1 Strategies of Other Smartphone Branded Vendors
    • 3.1.1 Marketing Innovation Key Success Factor
    • 3.1.2 Increased Specialization through Collaboration with EMS
    • 3.1.3. Low-price Market Competition to Intensify in 2013
    • 3.1.4 Mergers and Acquisitions to Tap Fast-growing Mobile Device Market
    • 3.1.5 Small Form Factor Consumer Devices to Expand into Mass Markets


List of Tables

  • Table 1 Comparison of Electro Magnetic Resonance and Magnetic Resonance Technologies

List of Figures

  • Figure 1 Global Smartphone ARPU by Telecom Operator, 2011 - 2012
  • Figure 2 Global Smartphone Shipment Volume by Price Point, 2012 - 2017
  • Figure 3 The Amount of Subsidies by Telecom Operator, 2012
  • Figure 4 Apple's iPhone Sales Volume by Model Type, 1Q 2011 - 4Q 2012
  • Figure 5 Major Smartphone Brands' Average Promotional Costs, 2011 - 2012
  • Figure 6 Global Smartphone Shipment Share, Revenue Share and Profit Share by Branded Vendor in 2012 -2013
  • Figure 7 Five Business Types and Five Strategic Fits of Smartphone Branded Vendors
  • Figure 8 Key Technology Development Milestones of Apple and Samsung
  • Figure 9 Electro-Magnetic Resonance and Magnetic Resonance Technologies
  • Figure 10 Chinese Mobile Phone Market Share by Price Point, 2012 - 2013
  • Figure 11 Chinese Smartphone Sales Volume and 3G Subscribers, 1Q 2011- 4Q 2012
  • Figure 12 The Business Model of the Chinese Smartphone Industry
  • Figure 13 Chinese Smartphone Distribution Channels
Back to Top