Marketdata Enterprises (the leading analyst of the weight loss market since
1989) operates a website: BestDietForMe.com. This site is now one of the
leading weight loss information and analysis portals on the Internet.
BestDietForMe essentially is a real-time data collection vehicle to monitor
national online dieter behavior, daily. A total of 1,553 people were included
in the 4th quarter 2011 sample--people that filled out an in-depth 40-question
online survey. Comparative data for the 4th quarter of 2010 and 3rd quarter of
2011 are included in this report.
Each quarter, Marketdata compiles and analyzes the responses of this sample,
producing a wealth of statistics that are compared to previous quarters. The
service was begun with the 1st quarter 2005. Companies seeking to measure
shifting online dieter preferences for types of weight loss programs,
food/exercise/budget/support & motivation and other preferences, will find
these reports extremely helpful in tracking fickle dieter behavior. The
service is applicable to: providers of weight loss programs/products, health
clubs, ad agencies & PR firms with weight loss clients, diet website
operators, low-cal food & beverage/diet food mfrs., hospitals & surgeons with
weight loss programs - any company trying to reach dieters online.
Statistical tables are supplemented by in-depth analyses and commentary, based
on Marketdata's ongoing research and 22-year knowledge of the weight loss
Each quarterly report will track 112 measures, including the following:
- age (5 categories)
- BMI (body mass index (separately for 5 categories, 18.5-40+)
- Percent opting in for special offers from diet companies
- Percent leaving first name
- Pregnant or nursing percentage
- Medical conditions, percent indicating at least one
- Their diet budget (separately for 6 categories: under $250 to $3,000+)
- Preferred weight loss program location (separately for 8 locations: home,
weight loss center, hospital, worksite, health club, healthcare pro's office,
residential facility, celebrity program)
- Interest in weight loss (bariatric) surgery - percent
- Interest in home delivery of diet food - percent
- Preferred diet counselor format (separately for: self-directed, 1-to-1,
small group, large group)
- Type food plan desired (separately for: grocery store food, pre-packaged
diet co. food, meal replacements, liquid supplements)
- Percent interested only in diet plans with pre-planned daily menus
- Percent with special food needs, allergies, food sensitivities
- Readiness to begin a diet program (immediately-6 months)
- Previous types of diet plans used (percent by 18 types)
- Exercise preferences (separately for: online coaching, personal trainer,
on-site classes, etc.)
- Psychological support needs: percent identified by BestDietForMe.com
analysis as needing... emotional eating support, stimulus control, social
eating skills support
- Discussion and analysis of the online dieting market: nature, market size.
- Full year 2010 and 1st nine months 2011 performance, financials and
company developments, for: eDiets, Medifast, NutriSystem, and Weight Watchers.
- 2012 diet Market Forecasts & Trends: Revised no. of American dieters, new
season begins, new ad campaigns, findings of Sept. 27th MDPA industry
conference, latest rankings of top diets for 2012 by U.S. News & World Report,
ComScore diet website rankings, search activity.
- Diet Websites Market - Study's major findings of market size, updated
estimates of 2010, 2011 mkt. value/growth, 6-year trend data of online dieter
demographics, top competitors' revenues, ranking of top 27 diet website by
- Complete May 2011 Status Report of the TOTAL weight loss market, by
segment, 2006-2010 growth for: commercial chains, medical programs, diet food
home delivery, retail meal replacements, diet entrees, OTC diet pills, diet
drugs, weight loss surgery, diet websites, more.
- Discussion of major weight loss market developments: effects of the
recession - segments most likely to benefit/lose, trends in diet program
marketing/advertising, 2011 “diet season” progress, dieter
demographics - no. of dieters by type program/method, top diet trends for
2011, 2014 F.
- Nature and size of online dieting market, evolution, changes
- Latest Alexa rankings of the top diet websites (July & Oct. 2011, Jan.
- Forecasts and early identification of key trends. Diet company costs per
- Tables: the entire U.S. weight loss market and its 10 segments, with
- Table: Top 8 commercial chains' revenues for 2006-2010
- Reference Directory of Weight Loss Industry Information Sources.
Note: This report does not contain state or city data.
- Publication Date: January 2012
- Total Number of Pages: 91
- Total Number of Tables: 48