The market for photoresists is expected to grow at a CAGR of more than 5% globally during the forecast period. Photoresists are light-sensitive polymeric resins formulated for use in a photolithographic process where they serve as masking materials for the transferal of images into an underlying substrate via etching processes. The growing demand for photoresist in semiconductors which eventually finds application in the electronics industry is propelling the market growth.
However, the environmental concerns related to photoresist and unfavorable conditions arising due to the COVID-19 outbreak may hinder the growth of the photoresist market in the near future.
The advancement in the Internet of Things (IoT) and Artificial Intelligence (AI) are likely to provide opportunities for the photoresist market over the next five years.
The Asia-Pacific region dominates the photoresist market, owing to the ascending consumption of photoresist from countries like China, India, Japan, South Korea, etc.
Key Market Trends
Semiconductor Segment to Dominate the Market
- The semiconductor segment stands to be dominating as it is widely employed in the manufacturing of various kinds of electronic devices, including diodes, transistors, and integrated circuits.
- Semiconductors are the devices made from materials that conduct under specific conditions, and ICs are the smaller version of circuit boards consisting of thousands of small electronic components such as resistors, capacitors, and transistors. ICs are used in numerous electronic devices and uninterruptedly increasing demand of electronic devices is expected to be beneficial for the overall market development.
- Photoresists are witnessing growth in consumption due to utilization in the production of printing plates, printed circuited boards, flat panel liquid crystal displays, magnetic recording heads, and microelectromechanical systems (MEMS) and most important use in the manufacture of integrated circuits (IC) devices, such as microprocessors and computer memory chips.
- Among types, ArF (ArF Dry and ArF Immersion) is one of the majorly exploited among photoresist market due to ArF photoresist used for their miniaturization of the semiconductor ICs.
- However, trade dispute between Japan and South Korea could have serious consequences to the global semiconductor industry which in turn affects the demand for photoresist in the world.
- All the aforementioned factors are likely to increase the demand for the market over the forecast period.
Asia-Pacific Region to Dominate the Market
- Asia Pacific region stands to be the largest and fastest-growing market for the electronics industry. Factors, such as the adoption of smart devices and an increase in consumer electronics will drive the market growth in the region.
- Asia-Pacific countries such as South Korea, China, Taiwan, India, and Japan have dominated the regional photoresist chemicals market due to growing demand from the rising electronics industry, thereby aiding the region market development.
- China has the world's largest electronics production base and offers a tough competition to the existing upstream producers, such as South Korea, Singapore, and Taiwan. Electronic products, such as smartphones, OLED TVs, and tablets, have the highest growth rates in the consumer electronics segment of the market, in terms of demand. With the increase in the disposable incomes of the middle-class population, the demand for electronic products is projected to increase steadily in the future, thereby, driving the market studied.
- The electronics manufacturing industry is constantly expanding in China, as a result of low cost and increasing demand for electronics products. With the increase in the disposable income of the middle-class population, the demand for electronic products is projected to grow in the near future.
- he Japanese electrical and electronics industry is one of the world's leading industries. The country is a world leader in the production of video cameras, compact discs, computers, photocopiers, fax machines, cell phones, and various other key computer components.
- According to the Japan Electronics and Information Technology Industries Association (JEITA), the production of display, server, storage equipment, etc., is increasing at a steady pace on a Y-o-Y basis.
- The Ministry of Economy, Trade, and Industry (METI) identified advanced manufacturing as one of the fastest-growing sectors, which was estimated to be valued at USD 270 billion by 2020. It includes IoT-related and smart factory technologies.
- Hence, all such market trends are expected to drive the demand for photoresist market in the region during the forecast period.
The global photoresist market is partially consolidated in nature. Some of the major companies are TOKYO OHKA KOGYO CO., LTD., JSR Corporation., DuPont, FUJIFILM Holdings America Corporation and Sumitomo Chemical Co., Ltd. amongst others.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support