North America Cosmetic Packaging Market is expected to register a CAGR of about 3.7% over the forecast period. Some of the trends supporting the growth of the packaging industry in the region include ongoing wellness and sustainability trends that proliferate consumer interest in personal care products.
- Over the years, the region has experienced higher levels of market re-arrangement in favor of clean nutrient-rich brands. This has led to the growth of brands like RMS Beauty or Bite Beauty that uses food-grade ingredients for its range of lipsticks and multistick. This trend is expected to continue proliferating the need for new packaging needs on similar lines.
- Also, the cosmetics market is experiencing a growing demand for premiumization, in line with the global trend. This, in turn, is driving the demand for innovative and premium packaging. For instance, Estee Lauder, in the recent past, launched the Bobbi Brown Art Stick Liquid Lip in a new color cosmetic container that offers convenience in the way liquid lipstick is applied. This overall premiumization is driving upscale packaging in glass and specialty cosmetic containers.
- Plastic and glass bottles continue to be the most preferred packaging materials in the region for the cosmetic products such as skin care. Hence, with the growth of this product category, the use of materials is also expected to experience a positive growth trajectory. In plastics, PP, PE, HPE, PET, and acrylic ingredients are the most preferred materials for plastic bottles. The increasing use of online channels is expected growth of plastics that are cheaper and safer to transport as compared to glass.
- Moreover, in recent years, the popularity of natural and organic cosmetics in the region has grown substantially as a result of increased awareness of exposure to diseases such as skin cancers, Alzheimer's, allergies, and congenital disabilities as synthetic beauty products are laden with chemicals. In the United States, the largest share (around 40%) of the natural and organic beauty products market is accounted for by skincare products.
- Despite the impact COVID-19 on the region with the United States reporting decline in makeup sales, the sales for nail-care products (218 percent), hair coloring (172 percent), and bath-and-body products (65 percent) were reported way up as compared to 2019. Moreover the personal care and household goods conglomerate Unilever unveiled a new initiative, 'United for America,' that is aimed at helping people in the United States by donating products such as personal hygiene, and home cleaning products among others.
Key Market Trends
Glass Material Type Expected to Register Significant Growth
- The matured cosmetics industry in the region now seems united on reducing the impact of plastic pollution, with new thoughtful packaging strategies and refined formulation. Moreover, with the launch of Arizona, Proenza Schouler's debut scent, Verescence used an innovative glass-making process, the SCULPT'in technology, to create a unique glass bottle featuring an asymmetric distribution of glass. These technological advancements helped the companies in expanding their offerings.
- Glass is one of the oldest packaging materials, which is nonporous and impermeable, and it does not degrade, providing chemically inert properties. This is one of the main reasons why glass is used in the packaging of many cosmetics. Glass is also a highly sustainable product, which means it can be recycled indefinitely, and there is no loss in quantity.
- Glass packaging is helping brands, specifically in the skincare and fragrance segment, to design attractive packages. Moreover, these design attributes and innovation, which are only possible within glass packaging, offer exceptional product differentiation
- Also, the rapidly growing market for nail care products in the region is significantly contributing to the growth of glass bottles in the cosmetic industry. The growth is supported by the success of gel formulas and artistic manicures, with liquid nail, polishes still on track for growth. According to a survey conducted by the Nail Magazine, a prominent magazine based in California, the United States, more than 74% of the women, who visit nail salons buy their own supplies, tools, and equipment, rather than using salon supplies.
Canada Expected to Register Significant Growth
- The value of the cosmetics market in Canada is expected to reach USD 15.8 billion by 2021, which would be an increase of USD 3 billion from the past five years. Major brands like MAC Cosmetics, Lise Watier, and The Ordinary have been founded in Canada and are among the most successful brands in the world. The Canadian Beauty and Personal Care segment is dominated by major players like L'Oreal, Procter & Gamble, and Coty.
- According to data released by Grocers Canada, face care was the leading cosmetic product category that had been sold in the country in 2018. Hand and body moisturizers and sun care products follow face care in terms of most popular product categories being sold in the country. Packaging designs and types corresponding to these products are expected to experience maximum growth during the forecast period.
- The Canadian government has been playing a major role in the development of its cosmetics industry. The formation of the Canadian Cosmetic Cluster, along with the promotion of academics pertaining to Cosmetics in Canada, is expected to contribute to the growth of the industry. The Canadian cluster formed focusses on the growth and innovation of the cosmetic industry. This is expected to help the Canadian cosmetic industry that is fragmented and has a number of SMEs proliferate in the future. This may aid the subsequent growth of the cosmetic packaging industry during the forecast period.
- Moreover, the Canadian government has also laid down a very transparent and detailed regulatory framework for the production ofcosmetics. The regulations laid down through the Food and Drugs Act clearly address issues pertaining to product safety, composition, advertising, labeling, and packaging.
North America Cosmetic Packaging Market is a moderately competitive consolidated market with the presence of major players like Albea SA, AptarGroup Inc., and Graphic Packaging Holding Co. dominating market share. Vendors in the market are leveraging partnerships and acquisitions as a competitive strategy and are focusing on climate-friendly packaging solutions that are both renewable and recyclable.
- March 2020 - DS Smith Plc announced the opening of its first recycling facility in the United States, the company's latest expansion of its business operations in North America. The facility is unique in the region as it is alongside the company's paper mill and within a mile from its packaging plant, creating a closed-loop manufacturing model that enhances its customers' sustainable packaging credentials making it a circular economy trifecta. The new plant can recycle over 36,000 tons of old corrugated cardboard each year, creating new fully recyclable packaging for the customers.
- September 2019 - Graham Packaging invested in VPET USA LLC, a California based company that has blow molding and in-housing PET plastic container production facilities. It would provide innovative PET packaging solutions in lesser lead time and competitive advantage to the company.
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support