The market for Wireline logging services in Europe is expected to grow at a CAGR of over 0.5% during the forecast period of 2020-2025. Factors like increasing deepwater operations and horizontal drilling in countries like Russia are likely to drive the wireline logging services market in the region. Moreover, growing drilling and completion activities in the Norwegian sea can be a significant factor for the growing demand for well logging in the forecast period. On the flip side, growing protests from social activists and organizations coupled with the highly volatile crude oil price is expected to be a restraining factor not only for the oil and gas industry but also for the activities like well logging services market.
- New offshore discoveries are going to drive the market in the forecast period. With the discovery of a new field in the Norwegian part of the North Sea, which is expected to produce 0.5% global oil supplies. This, in turn, is expected to drive the well logging services market in the coming years.
- In total, 102 wells were drilled on the United Kingdom Continental Shelf (UKCS) in 2018 (85 development, 8 exploration, and 9 appraisal). With the most recent tax break, production activities in the discoveries are expected to commence during the forecast period, creating vast opportunities for the market players.
- Russia with its upcming projets is anticiipated to domminate the wireline logging market. Russia is drilling new wells in the existing fields such as Sakhalin-1, Chayvo, the Odoptu-Sea field, and the Lebedinskoye field for any further discoveries.
Key Market Trends
Growing Offshore Operations to Drive the Market
- With an expected production of 90% of European crude oil from offshore only, the offshore operations are expected to grow significantly in comparison to onshore operations.
- The Rosebank/Lochnager field, which is under the planning phase, is one of the most significant prospects in the UK Continental Shelf, with an expected 530 MMbbl of recoverable oil. Exploration and Production operations in this field are expected to act as a driving force for the wireline logging market.
- In 2019, the opening of the North Sea, Norwegian Sea, and Barents sea south for petroleum activities by the Norwegian Government will be boosting the offshore oil and gas market, hence the operations like wireline logging.
- In 2018, with more than 100 active offshore rigs in the United Kingdom in comparison to only 4 at onshore, the market for wireline logging services in the offshore sector is dominating since the past several years.
- With a significant share of offshore projects for ongoing and future, the wireline logging market will be showing significant growth in the offshore segment.
Russia's Emergence as a Major Market For Wireline Logging Services
- In 2018, the Russian federation forecast to drill 10,700 more wells. with more than 9500 wells drilled as of 2019 already. Such large-scale drilling and production operations will be requiring logging services at a considerable level.
- The undeveloped Lukoil discoveries Rakushechnoye oil and gas field, Dolginskoye oilfield, Vostochno-Priberezhny are expected to be pushed to production phase in the forecast period. Russia is drilling new wells in the existing fields such as Sakhalin-1, Chayvo, the Odoptu-Sea field, and the Lebedinskoye field for any further discoveries which will generate demand for wireline logging service market.
- In April 2018, a Chinese rig operator announced the discovery of a large natural gas field in Russia's Kara Sea and development of Vladimir Filanovsky field by Lukoil in the Russian sector of the Caspian Sea, which is further expected to attract subsea wireline and perforating manufacturers in the country.
- The country is continuously exploring the north sea region as it has high potential. The success of this field will be driving the European wireline logging service market further.
- Demand for wireline services in Russia is expected to continue to increase, in line with the drilling volume, driven by the considerable increase in the number of rigs and a higher proportion of rigs being used for horizontal drilling.
The Europe wireline logging services market is consolidated. Some of the major companies include Baker Hughes Company, Schlumberger Limited, Halliburton Company, Weatherford International plc, Superior Energy Services Inc., and others.
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support