The North America Pressure Sensitive Adhesives (PSA) market is expected to grow at with a CAGR greater than 4% during the forecast period. One of the major factors driving the market is the shifting focus to low-cost flexible packaging. However, stringent environmental regulations regarding VOC emissions is hindering the growth of the market studied.
- Adoption of bio-based pressure sensitive adhesives is expected to provide a major growth opportunity for the market studied in the coming future.
- United States accounted for the highest share of the market studied and is likely to continue dominating the market during the forecast period.
- Among the end-user industries, packaging industry accounted for the highest market share and is expected to dominate the market during the forecast period.
Key Market Trends
Packaging Industry to Dominate the Market
- Pressure-sensitive adhesives (PSAs), specifically offer several advantages for the packaging industry. Some of the advantages include:
- PSAs offer a timely way to make products compliant and shelf-ready. Pressure-sensitive adhesives are safer than glue sticks and more discrete than traditional tape. Unlike glue sticks, pressure-sensitive adhesives do not require heat during application. The absence of heat eliminates burns and increases safety among plant workers. Additionally, PSAs are less intrusive on packaging graphics, providing the required adhesion without sacrificing the brand image. Pressure-sensitive adhesives are less visible packaging solutions, which preserve the brand and maximise the impact.
- Application of pressure-sensitive adhesives is time-saving, as there is no need to wait until they cure. The moment they are applied, they compress the substrate, right at the moment when adhesion takes place. Instant bonding increases the processing speed, as well as improves production.
- PSAs provide a bond that removes cleanly without damaging the packaging or leaving behind residue. Preserving brand image adds to your consumer appeal.
- Additionally, in the last few years, the packaging industry in North America has been experiencing a transition, where the manufacturing and industrial sector has been adapting to flexible packaging.
- Hence, owing to the above-mentioned factors, packaging industry is likely to dominate the market studied.
Acrylic Resin to Dominate the Market
- Acrylics copolymers are known to be one of the most widely-used polymers for manufacturing pressure sensitive adhesives.
- These copolymers are made from a variety of acrylic monomers. These monomers offer viscoelastic performance characteristics. Moreover, numerous high-performance applications, which demand coating thickness and material properties, use acrylic borne PSA.
- Solvent-borne thermoplastic acrylic resin has good substrate adhesion, making it well suited for UV coating and metallic and pigmented base coats on substrates of ABS, ABS+PC, PS, PC, and metals.
- Acrylic resin-borne adhesives are highly used in the automotive sector. They also finding growing applications in the aerospace and marine sectors.
- Hence owing to the above-mentioned factors, acrylic resin types is expected to dominate the market studied.
The North America pressure sensitive adhesives market is moderately consolidated as the market of the market share is divided among a few players. Some of the key players in the market include 3M, Arkema Group, Dow, Henkel AG & KGaA, and H.B. Fuller Company, among others.
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support