The global bio-surfactants market is estimated to witness a healthy growth, at an estimated CAGR of over 5%, over the forecast period. The major factors driving the growth of the market studied are growing personal care industry in Asia-Pacific and rising consumer inclination toward the use of bioproducts.
- Low availability and high price of feedstock is likely to hinder the markets growth.
- Asia-Pacific region is expected to dominate the market and is also likely to witness highest CAGR during the forecast period.
Key Market Trends
Increasing Demand from Agricultural Chemicals
- Agriculture relies heavily on chemical pesticides for eradication of plant pathogens, chemical fertilizers to improve soil fertility, and chemical surfactants in agrochemical formulations. Bio-surfactants are being replaced in the current times, due to several health hazards, owing to the usage of synthetic chemical-based products.
- Bio-surfactants, owing to their properties, such as emulsification, foaming, dispersion, wetting, penetrating, thickening, microbial growth enhancement, and antimicrobial, are used in a wide number of applications in the agriculture sector.
- Bio-surfactants are generally produced by bacteria, yeasts, and fungi, and they act as green surfactants. Due to their less toxic and eco-friendly nature, they are used in agricultural applications.
- Bio-surfactants are used to improve soil quality by soil remediation. They act as mobilizing agents and enhance the solubility of bio-hazardous chemical compounds. In addition to this, bio-surfactants help microbes to absorb soil particles occupied by pollutants.
- Moreover, they are also used for hydrophilization of heavy soils, in order to achieve good wettability and also in even distribution of fertilizers in the soil. They also prevent fertilizers from caking during storage.
- The rapid growth of the agricultural chemicals due to growing population and declining arable land, in order to feed the resultant population is further expected to push the demand for bio-surfactants in the coming years.
Asia-Pacific Region to Dominate the Market
- Asia-Pacific region accounted for the largest share of the regional market for bio-surfactants. Owing to the presence of largest consuming countries such as China, India, and Japan, the demand for bio-surfactants in the region is growing at a significant rate.
- China was the largest consumer of bio-surfactants and the country is likely to continue its dominance over the forecast period.
- Due to increasing awareness about hygiene and development in liquid soap, the market for soap, washing powder, and synthetic detergent industry in China has grown at an average annual rate of 13.2% in the past five years.
- Due to the increasing population, coupled with rising regulations for healthy food, the food processing industry is expected to expand at a lucrative rate in China.
- The increasing consumption of lubricants in the country, supported by the growth in the automotive industry, is expected to drive the market for bio-surfactants, throughout the forecast period.
- China is becoming the largest market in terms of cosmetics and skin care products, worldwide. Beauty sector in the country has witnessed a growth of around five percentage in the past ten years.
- All these factors are expected to increase the market for bio-surfactants in the region during the forecast period.
The global bio-surfactants market is a fragmented market, as there are numerous players in the market. Key players in the bio-surfactants market, include BASF SE, Akzo Nobel N.V., Ecover, Soliance, and Evonik Industries AG, among others
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- Report customization as per the client's requirements
- 3 months of analyst support