The Europe polyurethane hot-melt adhesives market is estimated to witness a significant growth, at an estimated CAGR of over 6.5%, over the forecast period. Increasing demand from the packaging industry in the region and increasing usage of PUR holt-melt adhesives as a substitute for solvent-borne adhesives are expected to drive the market during the forecast period.
- Adoption of bio-based hot-melt adhesives are projected to create opportunities to the market growth in the coming years.
- Germany is expected to dominate the market and is also expected to witness the fastest CAGR during the forecast period.
Key Market Trends
Increasing Demand from Packaging Industry
- Polyurethane hot melts are increasingly used in the production of automotive interior panels. In addition, PU hot-melt adhesives can be used during the manufacturing of car seats, for fixing cables in the roof liner, to bond door sill protectors, and other plastic parts. They can also be used to bond emblems, as well as anchor plates onto gear knobs.
- A wide variety of different assembly bonds are required. Retainer bonding, the bonding of the steel frames of the sunroofs, window tracks etc. Different materials, such as, plastics, metals, lacquers, textiles, and wood- based materials can be bonded securely. The quick cooling of the applied adhesive allows short set times, and the subsequent chemical crosslinking with the aid of moisture, guarantees high temperature, and climate resistance. Even at low temperatures, these hot melts prove to be flexible and tend not to brittle. The adhesive bead cuts off cleanly without stringing, therefore avoiding contamination of the decor area, when the hot melt is applied robotically.
- These adhesive systems are also more frequently used for lamination applications. The adhesive can be applied economically with new application technology. When using holt-melt adhesives, the 100% solids are being applied, as compared to the use of dispersion adhesives (which ensures maximum efficiency of adhesive consumption). Complex and cost-intensive drying processes of the adhesive film can be avoided.
- Hot-melt PUR are used in road atlases on the back shelf of a car, as they can withstand extreme temperatures.
- The aforementioned factors have been boosting the demand for polyurethane hot-melt adhesives, in the recent times.
Germany to Dominate the Market
- Germany leads Europe's automotive market with 41 assembly and engine production plants that contribute to one third of the total automobile production in Europe.
- Germany has the largest construction industry in Europe. The construction sector in Germany accounts for over 3% of the GDP. According to industry experts, the demand for new houses is expected to record around 350,000 units per year till 2020, which is expected to boost the construction industry.
- The non-residential and commercial buildings construction in the country is expected to witness significant growth prospects in the forecast period.
- In Europe, Germany holds the largest healthcare market. The annual expenditure on health in the country is estimated to be more than EUR 350 billion, excluding fitness and wellness. With the demographic changes and digitalization, the country has been investing in mobile healthcare facilities, which have provided a platform for the further expansion of the German healthcare sector.
- Owing to all the above-mentioned factors, the market for polyurethane hot-melt adhesives is expected to increase during the forecast period.
The Europe polyurethane (PU) hot-melt adhesives market is partially consolidated in nature. Key players in the market include 3M, Arkema Group, H.B. Fuller Company, Henkel AG & Co. KGaA, and Sika AG, among others.
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support