The market for biosolids is expected to grow at a CAGR of around 4%. One of the major factors driving the market studied is replacing hazardous chemical fertilizers in North America and stringent government emission laws.
- On the flip side, the availability of conflicting information regarding biosolids on the public domain is expected to hinder the growth of the market.
- North America dominated the biosolids market.
Key Market Trends
Agricultural Land Application to Dominate the Market
- Biosolids can be used on agricultural land, forests, rangelands, or on disturbed land in need of reclamation.
- Agriculture land applications account for the largest share of biosolids, in terms of consumption. Consistent population growth across Asia-Pacific and North America is expected to augment the need for agriculture yields, which may positively affect the consumption of biosolids in the sector.
- Scientists and farmers are looking for new technologies to increase the productivity of crops, in order to meet the food demand arising out of disproportionate population growth. Additionally, there has been decrease in the total avaialble cropland area in countries like the United States over the last decade.
- Biosolids can be effectively used as fertilizer/soil conditioners for human crop production. These are usually incorporated into the soil with conventional farm equipment. They are also used as fertilizer for animal crop production.
- Big enterprises and big farmers are increasingly making their presence felt in cattle farming and meat products. They are augmenting the demand for animal crop production, which is providing impetus to the application of biosolids as fertilizers for animal crop production. This has led to increase in demand for biosolids in the agricultural land applications in the near future.
- They also help in the reduction of fertilizer costs and provide many micronutrients for crop growth. Increasing world population is expected to give rise to the growing need for agriculture, which may impact the use of biosolids in the sector.
- Hence, agricultural land application is expected to dominate the market during the forecast period.
North America to Dominate the Market
- North America dominated the market owing to the government and public support for environment-friendly technologies in countries like the United States and Canada.
- In the United States, support from the government and public for environment-friendly technologies is among the few factors that are primarily driving the biosolids market in the current scenario.
- The US EPA adopted the name 'biosolids', in order to differentiate high-quality treated sewage sludge from raw sewage sludge, containing large amount of pollutants.
- The current options for managing wastewater biosolids in the country include both non-reuse options (like landfilling) and beneficial reuse technologies (such as landfilling with biogas and energy recoveries).
- Biosolids are generated during wastewater treatment processes and are extensively used to suffice the US EPA 40 CFR part 503 regulations.
- Majority of the biosolids that are currently generated in the country are expected to be EQ or PC biosolids, containing low levels of pollutants. About half of the biosolids production in the country is being beneficially used to improve soils.
- In the United States, biosolids are either recycled or applied as fertilizer, in order to improve and maintain productive soils and stimulate plant growth. By treating sewage sludge, the biosolids are used as valuable fertilizer, instead of taking up space in a landfill or other disposal facility. About 50% of all biosolids are being recycled to land.
- Hence, owing to the aforementioned reasons North merica is expected to occupy the major market share during th forecast period.
The global biosolids market is a partly consolidated market as the major share of the market is attributed to a few key companies. Some of the key players of the market include Cambi Group AS, Cleanaway, Englobe, REMONDIS SE & Co. KG, and FCC Group, among others.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support