The non-woven fabric market is expected to witness a healthy growth, at an estimated CAGR of over 6%, over the forecast period. The growing application base in the healthcare and personal care industry, along with increasing demand from the automotive industry, is expected to drive the market studied.
- However, the current situation due to the COVID-19 pandemic and a lack of awareness among the consumers, who consider nonwoven fabric products to be harmful for the environment (without taking into consideration the positive attributes of polypropylene, which is used for making nonwoven fabric), are expected to hinder the growth of the market studied.
- Spun-bond segment dominated the market, by technology, and it is also likely to witness the highest CAGR during the forecast period.
Key Market Trends
Increasing Demand from the Healthcare Industry
- Nonwoven fabric is used to make various products in the healthcare industry, such as surgical gowns, aprons, drapes, face mask components, and wound dressings. They are also used in hygiene products, such as sanitary towels, sanitary napkins, tampons, baby diapers, and napkin liners.
- The demand for new and better-performing products is propelling the nonwoven industry. There is a significant demand for nonwoven fabric from the healthcare industry. Increasing surgeries and the construction of new medical facilities are the primary driving forces for this market.
- Additionally, owing to the COVID-19 outbreak, there has been astronomical increase in the demand for nonwoven face masks to prevent the spreading of the virus. This has resulted in an increase in demand for nonwoven fabrics across the world, at an exponential rate.
- Asia-Pacific is expected to witness a significant increase in hygiene products, over the forecast period, due to the increasing adoption of female hygiene products in countries like India and China.
- In India, according to BCH (Indian nonwovens industry association), the market penetration rate of sanitary napkin has increased by 18% from 2014. It is currently estimated that over ~60% of the Indian women do not use sanitary care products. This is majorly due to the high amount of population residing in rural areas. With the increase in penetration rate of sanitary care products, owing to the increasing hygiene precautions, the market for nonwovens in the country is expected to rapidly increase.
- In China, the market for feminine products and baby diapers has been growing at a rapid rate, owing to the increase in hygiene-related concerns. The leading diaper manufacturers in the country include Quanzhou Diaborn Hygiene Products Co. Ltd, Chiaus, BBG Sanitary Commodity Limited, AAB China Co. Ltd, InSoft, Yamaza, and Baron China Co. Ltd.
- Other factors, like population growth, increasing aging population, and the COVID-19 outbreak across the world, are driving the demand for nonwoven fabrics in the healthcare industry.
Asia-Pacific to Dominate the Market
- Asia-Pacific is expected to be the largest consumer, globally, owing to the commissioning of additional capacities, as well as an increase in the production of non-woven fabric in the region.
- In terms of consumption and production of non-woven fabric, China held the largest share, globally.
- The textile industry in China is booming, with increasing investments and government support from the 13th Five Year Plan. Textile and apparel makers in the country are going through painful industrial restructuring. While the country, with enormous production capacity, is still the world's largest clothing exporter, oversupply at home, high labor costs, and rising global protectionism have all eroded its competitiveness.
- The Chinese government is planning Xinjiang as the hotbed for the textile and apparel manufacturing and has invested USD 8 billion. China's northwest region is expected to become the country's largest textile production base by 2030.
- The year 2016 was the first year of China's 13th Five Year Plan. It was an important year for the country's engineering, procurement, and construction (EPC) industry, as it ventured into new business models, domestically and internationally.
- As the construction industry is dominated by state-owned and private enterprises, increased government and private spending, in this regard, is pushing the industry to the peak position in the world. The housing authorities of Hong Kong have launched several measures to push-start the construction of low-cost housing in the country.
- All the aforementioned factors, in turn, projected to increase market at high rates, owing to the rapid growth of end-user industries.
The market studied is fragmented, comprising several large and small players; the top six players accounted for over 22% of the global market in 2019. The market is extremely competitive, with various leading manufacturers engaging in strategic partnerships to expand their market share. Major players in the market include Berry Global Inc., Freudenberg Group, Ahlstrom-Munksjo, KCWW, and DuPont, among others.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support