The oilfield equipment rental services market is expected to grow at a CAGR of over 5.10% during the forecast period 2020-2025. Factors such as increasing exploration and production activities due to increasing crude oil and natural gas demand, is likely to drive the oilfield equipment rental services market during the forecast period. However, volatile oil and gas prices is leading to the uncertainty among oil and gas operators, which is likely to restrain the growth of the oilfield equipment rental services market in the coming years.
- The drilling rigs segment is likely to dominate the market during the forecast period, due to the increasing exploration and production activities.
- Advancements in the deepwater and ultra-deepwater drilling activities in the region like Brazil, Norway, United Kingdom is expected to create amble opportunity for the market players in the coming years.
- North America is expected to be the largest market for the oilfield rental services market with major demand expected to be coming from countries like United States, Canada, etc.
Key Market Trends
Drilling Rigs to Dominate the Market
- After the oil price crisis in 2014, during 2014-16, the rig count, both onshore and offshore, declined significantly. But the period of 2017-2018 was characterized by the recovery in the oil price, resulting in significant recovery in onshore rig count. The offshore activity generally has longer lead times. Also, given the volatility in oil prices, combined with high CAPEX requirements for offshore projects, the offshore drilling activity did not recover until 2019.
- In 2019, the oil prices registered a decline, which has adversely affected onshore drilling. During the forecast period, the oil prices are expected to recover but at a slower growth rate. Hence, the conventional onshore drilling activity is expected to register a relatively slower growth.
- But countries, such as Argentina, Canada, Australia, and China, among others, are investing in the exploration and production of shale oil and gas reserves. The shale reservoir has lower permeability, and hence, the wells have a much lower drainage area than the oil and gas wells in conventional fields. As a result, the wells drilled in the shale reservoir generally have a production life of fewer than five years as opposed to wells in conventional fields, which have a production life of more than a decade. Also, in order to improve the drainage area, the shale operators now prefer horizontal and directional wells. Due to these reasons, the investments in the shale oil and gas exploration are expected to have a significant impact on the onshore drilling activity.
- The offshore operators have committed to significant investments in field developments. As of 2018, the Europe and Asia-Pacific regions dominate the offshore drilling market in terms of a number of planned and under-pipeline projects. But the North American and South American markets are characterized by a lower number of projects but located in deepwater and ultra-deepwater. As a result, despite a lower number of projects, the Americas region is expected to have a significant share in the global offshore drilling rig equipment rental services market.
North America to Dominate the Market
- North America is expected to dominate the oilfield equipment rental services market due to the increasing oil and gas activities and the increasing offshore reserve exploitation in the countries like Unites States and others.
- The oil and gas industry in the United States is projected to provide a huge impetus to the oilfield equipment rental services market on account of widespread investments lined up in oil and gas projects for the coming years. It is expected that around USD 76 billion will be spent on 97 upcoming oil and gas projects in the country between 2018 and 2025. Such robust growth in terms of new projects is projected to create a demand for oilfield rental services in United States, in the long run.
- Further, Canada is the fourth largest producer of crude oil in the world after Untied States, Saudi Arabia and Russian Federation. Moreover, in the country's energy production mix, crude oil accounts for ~31% of the overall production.
- Western Canada accounts for about 95% of the country's total production with conventional oil (including pentanes & condensates) representing more than 1 million barrels per day, in terms of volume. The greatest potential for growth lies in the liquids-rich Montney and Duvernay formations, which are expected to contribute about 500,000 b/d of pentanes and condensates by 2026.
- Hence, the region is expected to have a high demand for oilfield equipment rental services during the forecast period.
The oilfield equipment rental services market is partially fragmented. Some of key players in this market include Transocean Ltd, Seadrill Ltd, Schlumberger Limited, Baker Hughes Company, and Weatherford International PLC.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- Report customization as per the client's requirements
- 3 months of analyst support