The global automotive adhesive tape market is expected to register a CAGR of more than 4.5% during the forecast period.
- Stringent environment regulations demanding use of low Volatile Organic Carbon (VOC) adhesive tapes is expected to drive the demand for the market during the forecast period.
- Volatility in raw material prices is likely to hinder the market's growth.
- High-performance adhesive tapes for advanced applications is projected to act as an opportunity for the market in future.
Key Market Trends
Natural Rubber Adhesives to Witness a High Demand
- Natural rubber is widely used in pressure sensitive adhesive (PSA) tapes. Natural rubber consists of long polymer chains. If it is mixed with resin and made sticky, the adhesive obtained is extremely flexible, due to the long length and mobility of the polymer chains.
- Such adhesives employ solvent-borne natural rubber, in which rubber obtained by centrifuging natural rubber latex is masticated and applied to a backing material from a solvent solution.
- Japanese patent, JP 11-172212 (1999), suggests that an adhesive comprising synthetic rubber latex, natural rubber latex, and an ethylene-vinyl acetate-acrylate copolymer emulsion provide good anchorage. Several technological developments in improving anchorage have been noticed in the patents filed, in the recent past.
- The compounded resins, type of rubber used, and other ingredients determine the performance of the natural rubber adhesive. In general, natural rubber properties offer many advantages in pressure-sensitive tape applications.
- Owing to its unique properties, natural rubber may witness the highest growth over the forecast period.
Asia-Pacific to Dominate the Market
- Asia-Pacific region dominated the global market share.
- The market is majorly driven by the availability of low labor at low cost, low raw material prices, and the growing urban population in the region, in addition to many automotive manufacturing plants.
- Currently, many OEM manufacturers are introducing hybrid body structures, which incorporate plastic and composite materials in combination with traditional steel and light alloy components. The deployment of these components is expected to drive the demand for automotive adhesives tapes, due to their capability to join difficult-to-bond substrates.
- The government of China is planning to introduce more than one million electric vehicles by 2020, which is expected to drive the market for automotive adhesive tapes in the country.
- All the aforementioned factors, in turn, boost the demand for automotive adhesive tapes in the Asia-Pacific region during the forecast period.
The automotive adhesive tape market is highly fragmented. Key players in the tin market include 3M, Nitto, tesa SE - A Beiersdorf Company, Lohmann GmbH & Co.KG and Intertape Polymer Group.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- Report customization as per the client's requirements
- 3 months of analyst support