- The US pressure sensitive adhesives market is expected to register a CAGR of 5.53% over the forecast period of 2019-2024.
- One of the major factors driving the growth of the market studied is the increasing demand from the packaging and automotive industries.
- The rise in minimum wages of workers is likely to acting as a restraint to the market.
- Development of bio-based pressure sensitive adhesives is likely to act as an opportunity for the pressure sensitive adhesives market.
Key Market Trends
Increasing Demand from the Packaging and Automotive Industries
- Due to their ease of application, instant bonding ability, and versatility in joining a wide range of substrates, pressure sensitive adhesives (PSA) are widely used in the packaging industry.
- PSA offer superior advantages over commonly used glue sticks in the packaging industry, as they do not require heat during application. The absence of heat eliminates hazards, like burns, and increases working safety. Additionally, PSAs are less intrusive on packaging graphics, providing the required adhesion without damaging the brand image. PSAs provide a clear bond that can be removed cleanly, without damaging the packaging or leaving behind any residue.
- In the automotive industry, PSAs are widely used, as they offer superior benefits over mechanical fasteners. They help in improving crash efficiency of automotive, as they do not affect the substrate used in assembly. They assist in distributing stress over the entire bonded area and do not allow the concentration of stress.
- PSAs are also used for the attachment of printed circuit boards to heat sinks in automotive electronics applications.
- As a result of the aforementioned factors, the demand for PSAs is expected to increase, during the forecast period.
Acrylic Resin Dominated the Market
- Acrylics copolymers are known to be one of the most widely-used polymers for manufacturing pressure sensitive adhesives.
- These copolymers are made from a variety of acrylic monomers. These monomers offer viscoelastic performance characteristics. Moreover, numerous high-performance applications, which demand coating thickness and material properties, use acrylic borne PSA.
- Solvent-borne thermoplastic acrylic resin has good substrate adhesion, making it well suited for UV coating and metallic and pigmented base coats on substrates of ABS, ABS+PC, PS, PC, and metals.
- Acrylic resin-borne adhesives are highly used in the automotive sector. They also find applications in the aerospace and marine sectors.
The United States pressure sensitive adhesives market is fragmented, with the top 10 players accounting for small market share. The major companies include; Henkel AG & Co. KGaA, Arkema (Bostik), HB Fuller, 3M Company, and Avery Dennison, among others.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- Report customization as per the client's requirements
- 3 months of analyst support