The market for waterproofing membrane is expected to register a CAGR of over 8%, during the forecast period. One of the major factors driving the market studied is the increasing usage in the mining sector. However, competition from eco-friendly alternatives is likely to restrain the market.
- The rapid growth of the construction sector in Asia-Pacific is also likely to boost the demand for waterproofing membranes, during the forecast period.
- New emerging markets and applications regarding waterproofing membranes are likely to act as an opportunity for market growth in the future.
- Europe dominated the market and accounted for the major market share.
Key Market Trends
Roofing and Walls Application to Dominate the Market
- Waterproofing membranes have applications in roofing and walls of structures, as they provide superior tensile strength and are climate adaptable. Also, they offer fire resistance properties and help in improving flow resistance at high temperatures.
- The demand for waterproofing membranes from roofing and wall applications has witnessed a rise in Asia-Pacific and the Middle East. This is mainly due to the increase in commercial infrastructure projects in these regions.
- Leakage in building, especially roofs and walls, has been a cause of concern, due to water leakage from different parts of the building. Drainage slope of roofs is one of the most important factors. Each building plan must incorporate a roof plan, indicating the position of drainage pipes and direction, and extent of slope on the roof.
- PVC roofing systems have witnessed tremendous growth in the recent years, due to a variety of standout characteristics, notably, the longevity, durability in harsh weather and temperature extremes, low lifecycle costs, energy efficiency, heat and solar reflectance, flame resistance, chemical and grease resistance, ease of maintenance, ease and flexibility of installation, and inherent recyclability/re-use, among many other benefits.
- TPO roofing membranes are also used due to their high resistance to tears, impacts, and punctures, with good flexibility that allows for building movement. TPO membranes contain no toxic or hazardous ingredients and are fully recyclable.
- Modified bitumen is also used in roofing, as it provides superior waterproofing characteristics. These are usually installed as two-ply systems and are always fully adhered.
- Modified bitumen is asphalt with modifiers added, to offer plastic or rubber-like properties, making it much more durable. The modifiers provide increased resistance to brittleness, cold temperatures, and increased elasticity and strength. It is made of six basic layers that can be assembled in various other combinations.
- Therefore, such factors are likely to boost the demand for waterproofing membranes in roofing applications.
Asia-Pacific to Witness the Highest Growth Rate
- Asia-Pacific is anticipated to be the fastest-growing market for waterproofing membranes, in terms of both value and volume, during the forecast period. The majority of the demand is coming from China and India.
- The Chinese building and construction industry is the largest construction industry in Asia-Pacific. The demand for waterproofing membranes is increasing as China witnessed high growth in commercial building and construction, as well as high-end real estate.
- In addition, the introduction of energy saving policies is also expected to drive the demand for waterproofing membranes in China.
- In India, apart from the residential and commercial building construction, several metro rail projects are currently under progress, such as Lucknow Metro, Kochi Metro, Ahmedabad Metro, Kanpur Metro. This is expected to further boost the Indian construction sector.
- Therefore, considering such factors, the market for waterproofing membranes in Asia-Pacific is expected to witness high growth, during the forecast period.
The market for waterproofing membrane is moderately fragmented in nature, as the market share is divided among sevral companies. Some of the major players of the market include Minerals Technology Inc., Soprema Group, Sika AG, and BASF SE.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- Report customization as per the client's requirements
- 3 months of analyst support