The MEMS energy harvesting devices market is expected to grow with a CAGR of 7.5%, over the forecast period (2019-2024). The use of MEMS energy harvesting devices promises an environmentally conscious world, with a cleaner and almost perpetual solution to powering small systems, without the use and waste of polluting batteries.
- Energy harvesting systems are primarily used in low-powered electrical utilities, such as sensors, watches, and home appliances. These systems provide an efficient alternative to conventional power sources, like batteries.
- There has been an increasingly high usage of batteries, globally. According to the EPBA, about 225,000 metric ton or an estimated 11 billion portable batteries are being reportedly used in the market, currently. The usage of batteries has been potentially harmful to the environment and it is also a wastage of resources.
- The main developments in MEMS energy-harvesting devices are described and compared with those in fuel cells and micro-batteries. For instance, piezoelectric MEMS energy harvesting devices can currently power sensor nodes requiring 60 uW according to the latest developments, a companion energy storage device would be necessary for most applications.
- Moreover, Scientists at the Tokyo Institute of Technology and the University of Tokyo in Japan are taking steps towards developing new MEMS energy harvester that can power sensors in IoT and wireless networks. These include inertial sensors, pressure sensors, and temperature and humidity sensors. These self-powered devices could monitor the environment and send information to various systems such as those monitoring traffic patterns, or natural disasters.
Scope of the Report
MEMS energy harvesting devices capture and accumulate byproduct energy, as the energy becomes available and then storing the energy for a period of time and supplying it in a form that can be used later, such as operating a microprocessor within its limits. This supports the energy harvesting systems that can also be used in both low-voltage and low-power applications, such as portable or mobile devices, automotive, medical, industrial machine monitoring and process control, home automation, and defense.
Key Market Trends
Building and Home Automation to Witness High Growth
- The building and home automation application of the MEMS energy harvesting devices market is likely to grow at a significant rate over the forecast period, due to the increasing adoption of MEMS energy harvesting devices in building and smart home devices in the American and European region.
- The emergence of wireless sensors networks is a major breakthrough in the energy systems market. Recent advancements in energy harvesting (EH) technologies enable wireless sensor network (WSNs) to extend their lifetime, by utilizing energy that is readily available through natural resources.
- Power manager in these devices manages the energy harvested and node supply. This device measures the energy that is harvested from daylight or artificial light, and checks for the consumption and available energy, and evaluates them according to the usage time and seasons (summers and winters). This harvested energy is put to use by controlling the home automation using WSNs.
- MEMS energy harvesting devices are used in the application of wireless switches & sensor and providing power solution for wireless switches & sensors. Moreover, the increase in sales of smart home devices is driving the growth of MEMS energy harvesting devices to use energy efficiently without harming the environment.
North America to Hold the Largest Market Share
- With the ongoing rapid technological developments in the North American region, it became the most critical market for building and home automation investments, which use renewable energy, and thus, drive the growth of the MEMS energy harvesting devices market.
- The North American market is also witnessing high adoption of industrial IoT, as compared to the other regions, which is also driving the market for MEMS energy harvesting devices market. The United States accounted for most of the revenue in the North American region. The market is also expected to witness substantial growth, due to the flourishing industrial and transportation sector, which is impacted by the administration, to make the country an energy independent state.
- This growth is further aided by government initiatives to decrease energy emission from old and public buildings. For instance, the US General Services Administration has entered into a contract with IBM to install advanced and smart building technology in 50 of the federal government's highest energy-consuming buildings.
The MEMS energy harvesting devices market is very competitive in nature. The market is mildly concentrated due to the presence of various small and large players. The major players in the market are EnOcean GmbH, Micropelt, STMicroelectronics NV, Coventor Inc., Holst Centre, Morgan Electro Ceramics, MicroStrain Sensing Systems, MEMS Vision, Sofant Technologies, among others.
- June 2019 - High-performance MEMS inertial module from STMicroelectronics targets demanding AR, VR, and Tracking Applications.STMicroelectronics LSM6DSR inertial module combines high stability with advanced digital features, low power consumption, and small size for head-mounted displays, wearable trackers, smartphones, robotics, and drones which satisfies next-generation gaming, industrial, and sports applications.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- Report customization as per the client's requirements
- 3 months of analyst support